Universal Launcher [Ver. 3.x and above]

You can also close apps when using Universal Launcher. Press and hold the power button to open the power down menu. One of the icons is for closing recent tasks.
Only the task cleaner is not accessible in the Universal Launcher. The reason is that it cannot close apps. It just shows a very nice animation…

2 Likes

Thanks G1NT0N1C.
I thought it was this option that was not accessible in the conversation above.

If it is just the task cleaning widget that is not accessible - no problem.
As you say, it didn’t do anything much anyway apart from the animation :joy:

The only one that really works is the long press on the power button recent tasks :handshake:

ive tried this in the UL, holding down the power button, but when i select recent tasks, it just takes me back to the app menu,and doesnt show the apps open like usual for me to close ,but it works fine when i do the same on my watch on the SL,and thats what i was talking about in the begining,i know the clean task with the brush icon doesnt do anything ,i learnt that from watching mr ticks youtube videos

Ah, ok.
This must be what @Eric_Crochemore was talking about when this was discussed previously…?

Otherwise it means that there is a permission that has not been granted.

1 Like

No, as I said this menu is managed by the system directly. UL doesn’t know about it. Usually it isn’t changing at all using UL or SL.

3 Likes

Yep, it became confusing because there is the silly task killer widget panel which just shows fancy animation and does nothing else…
Then there is the long press power button menu which shows power off, restart, recent tasks etc…
It is the long press power button menu which is useful.
Is this also not functional in the UL?
If it is not working I will try to find out why.
Because it should be ok.

I believe that the code used for the recent apps that shows the “lock app” padlock is the problem.
This is the long press power button menu.
So I will ask about how this function is accessed.
If it needs the launcher to be a system app, then we will not be able to fix it I guess.

1 Like

yes, the long press power button- recent tasks does’nt do nothing on my watch in UL,it just takes me back to the app menu instead of giving me the option of closing open apps like it does on the SL

I can’t verify it right now as I currently have experimental firmware installed. I will flash the original firmware tomorrow and test it. I actually think it works.
I’ll reort tomorrow.

1 Like

ive checked and it doesnt seem to be working on my stock launcher either now

@G1NT0N1C @pablo11 …ah…ive just checked again and if i select at the start up screen which launcher i wont to choose ,ie the stock launcher and select always, it works…and the same for UL…so which ever launcher you are using if you select ALWAYS use that launcher at the begining The long press power button - recent tasks option does then work and does allow you to close recent tasks

3 Likes

Good to hear you sorted that out.

2 Likes

@Logan1
Nice, thanks for the update and I’m so sorry for not explaining that along with all the permissions you have to accept for UL when you install it, you “should” set it as the default app for the “Home” app.

As you mentioned in a previous post - it’s easy for us admins to assume that people have researched all the details about these processes.
It’s not because we don’t care.
It’s because sometimes we are not always around to answer questions. We do this voluntarily and have families, and we all have to go to work.
So we promote self education and community support. :+1:

It’s interesting that you have had no problems setting it as the default launcher (Home) app.
There were some reports that when using Android 11 and UL - setting it as default home app seemed to be undone after a reboot. The SL would be set back as default automatically :thinking:

Definitely good news for UL fans that the recent tasks are still accessible using UL if it is set up perfectly.

1 Like

i never tested to see if it reverts back to standard launcher after a reboot,but thats not a problem anyway i can just select it again in the menu, it only takes seconds and will stay that way untill the next reboot,so i dont consider it a problem,at least we have a choice of using 2 different launchers, i actually like that fact if it reverts back to stock,i also like that if you do choose the JUST ONCE option when starting instead of ALWAYS, every time you do reboot it gives you a choice at start up of which launcher you want to use…and once started a quick press of the power button (not a long press the power button) instead of turning off the face display it allows you to switch between launchers instantly,but then you sacrifice being able to use the close recent tasks function…

Great.
Sounds like you are well on top of it :+1:

1 Like

Is there any video of universal launcher working?

Cause I don’t want to take any unnecessary risk or avoid loosing my time installing thinks that I don’t even know how it looks or if the are useless for my needs (don’t take me wrong please, I’m just knowing this kinda apps, don’t wanna screwing up my watch)

1 Like

It’s a simple app.
Install and uninstall, very easy.
There may be a video on our yt channel (linked at the top of this forum) but seriously, I’m not sure what you are concerned about.
Install it on your mobile phone if you want to check it out.
It works on there as well.

3 Likes

there’s a video demo link in the first post.

3 Likes

Alright man this is the part when with shaking voice I tell you… Shut up and take my money!!!:joy::joy:

Looks like AWESOME really.

Most all of my clockskins work only with Universal Launcher only. I can make them look realistic that way with the lighting changing on top of the hands as they move. Each of my watchfaces is hand drawn to match the original watch, not just a cropped image of a hand or a background image.

3 Likes

By the way, here is how to make realistic watch hands for use with Universal Launcher.
How to make a realistic hand! - Round Custom Faces / Custom Faces Developement & Guides - Full Android Watch

3 Likes