S10Pro International firmware - update from SD Card (No FlashTools) - Suitable for LEM14 2021.06.26

I wanted to add some more information about battery consumption and what might affect it.

As a general note, the firmware has been tested for several months now (special thanks to @pablo11, @G1NT0N1C, @Dr_Andy_Vishnu, @Eric_Crochemore, @SmartWatch_Ticks for their continuous support and testing, this has been very valuable).

From our testing the general consumption on a clean install (wifi active, sim active, google account login and applications updated) is around: ~6mA [4mA-8mA], depending on the battery capacity this is ~0.7% [900mAh] or ~0.4% [1600mAh].
That is the lowest possible idle consumption, as we are still using a smartphone chipset that has a certain minimum power requirement to keep the system active.

With this in mind we basically have three problems that will affect this result:

• Most smartphones have a battery capacity around 4000-4500mAh which is five times the size of the most commonly used 900mAh smartwatch battery, this means any increased consumption caused by an additional third party app might drain 1% per hour on a smartphone, but 5% per hour on a smartwatch.
  • Android applications have a great range of possibilities and options to request certain functions of the system, they might hold a wake lock, send notifications overly often or show some intrusive ads. In combination this might cause some unwanted behaviour that for example prevents a proper system standby.
  • On the default firmware it was tried to solve this problems with a brute-force method, it basically backlists all background services by default and requires you to manually allow the ones needed. While this did work to some degree it also caused confusion for the user and affected the reliability of services.

We think it is better to let the user decide what is useful for them, but this also means that every untested/unrestricted application can affect the battery consumption.

8 Likes

Thank you for these well-founded and detailed explanations. This is very informative and gives a lot of background knowledge!
The relationship between the basic consumption of the chip and the size of the battery is obvious, but was not so clear to me before.
:+1::handshake:

3 Likes

Agreed . Great post @none

2 Likes

Very informative

Thanks for this explaination

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to explain what everyone is asking about.:+1::+1:

1 Like

A little further up the thread someone has tested this on the Brave Pro and it was fine.:+1:

2 Likes

Ok, good to know. I didn’t see that post. :+1:

1 Like

Hi, I’m also facing issues with bluethoot. I’m sure that this is the problem of battery drain.

Watchdroid connects and reconnects always. Same with Wiiwatch 2.

Also tried to unnistall all third apps that uses bluethoot and tried only to pair with mobile phone (tried with a Samsung and Xiaomi mobile phones) and is always connecting and disconnecting.

If I dissable bluethoot then the problem is gone.

Can you confirm that your BT connection is ok and dont loose connection and the reconnects?

Cheers.

As for information shows LEM12Pro is because in build.prop is defined as LEM12Pro nor LEM14:

ro.product.system.model=LEM12Pro

It’s normal when you make varius ROMs from one Kitchen.

Not a problem, it’s very simple to fix in next update.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I just realized I was wrong, initially. I did not know that the 1.0 was NOT the same as the full_LW_C15_TFT_LFLT-ota-mp1V91561 I initially flashed with. This is what I was talking about as opposed to the 1.0. Just wanted to clarify as I just now noticed they were different.

Edit: Incidentally, I know this because I cross-flashed my Rogbid to the LEM14 stock (not sure this was 100% necessarry but needed to know it would work since I couldn’t find any Rogbid stock flash files) so I could update it back to the FW version that I had less issues with to run some comparisons to. The Brave Pro is now running on the full_LW_C15_TFT_LFLT-ota-mp1V91561 firmware and once I get everything configure, I’m going to swap over to it (move SIM card and resync Watch Droid) and see if things are any different.

1 Like

Even if the upgrade procedure is more clear than ever, what is the difference between FAW 1.0 and FAW 1.1 that prevent the upgrade from stock firmware directly to FAW 1.1? (it would be great to jump directly to the latest firmware without installing FAW 1.0)

The certificate used to sign the update file.

My understand is that they must use the manufacturer certificate in FAW 1.0 to allow the wireless update. Why they don’t use the same certificate in FAW 1.1?

2 Likes

First of all thanks aloooot for ur efforts and ur update i like it alot.
It was veryyy fast charging in the original android
After i update the battery takes ages to recharge. May be 5 times more than before.
Ps: i made the first update only
It annoying me very much

That is a known issue and will be fixed with the new version, the problem is currently that the charging current will be excessively limited if the charger voltage is considered too low.

2 Likes

So far, It looks like maybe I wasn’t crazy to think something was different regarding battery life. Back on full_LW_C15_TFT_LFLT-ota-mp1V91561, this is my first full day. It’s configured exactly the same as my other LEM14, only the using older FAW. I took it off the charger at 8am. Right now (3:30pm ) my battery is at 82%. With 1.1, I would hit 82% before noon. It would say this is more than just anecdotal evidence something is amiss. This is the same hardware, purchased and received all around the same time (end of May) but the only difference is firmware version now. I’m including a new bug report if anyone wants to dig through and compare.

I should also note, I actually have more apps installed than when I ran the original report and battery life is still better. If I can supply any other additional information, let me know. My other watch is still on the 1.1 update.

I can’t notice any difference on the standby consumption to be honest, the ‘reference’ test with 4G, WiFi and google account shows around 0.7% per hour on a Prime2:

Btw, you can analyze those bugreports on this site: https://bathist.ef.lc/

3 Likes

Can the battery life be related to an overcharge/heat issue? I am currently running with FAW 1.1. and I never had battery issue with this firmware (always charge the watch about an hours in the morning till 100%). Yesterday evening, my battery was pretty low after an intensive usage, so I put it on charge and forgot to remove it before going to bed. The next morning, the watch was a bit warm and show 100%. As soon as I removed from the charger, the battery drop 2% and drop 40% in 3 hours. I checked with AccuBattery and no app was running nor consuming the battery (Bluetooth off, airplane mode, gps off, wifi on). I shutdown the watch, let it cool down, put it on charge for 45 min while off and upon restart, the battery consumption return to normal (7% in 6 hours).

We have quite a few fixes for the upcoming V1.2, that hopefully resolve those issues.

6 Likes