Optimus 2 Official support Thread - Updated 26/06/21

Exactly, the video resolution is limited on mainstream phones with higher MP as well.

But the difference in MP should never be this big.
On average a few Mega pixels of difference is normal but with this watch there is a lost of 10.9 MP when it comes to recording videos.

I also ow a Lem X and a Lem 12 pro and the camera of these watches record exactly at the same maximum resolution of 2.07MP but selecting a higher resolution is not an option.

Im on stock firmware because i got reach trust level 2 for being capable of downloading the FAW firmware as i read on this forum.

But if anybody is willing to try the app open camera from play store and enabling Camera2 API wn test if recording i would appreciate it.
I bought this watch from the official website store.

I think it is the processing power and/or storage bandwidth that is the limiting factor(s). It would probably work to make a video with 1 fps (if the firmware allows you to change fps), but usually you would want 30 or 60 fps. Max video resolution is also listed in the specs of mobile chipsets.

no, that’s the specs of a usb camera module that’s using the IMX214 sensor, not the specs of the IMX214 itself. And I’ve had a look at the supported resolutions listed there, and while it does support higher resolutions than the Optimus 2, those are only supported at 5 fps. Even 1080p is only supported at 5 fps and not 30 fps, while on the Optimus 2 1080p is supported at 30 fps

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply, theoretical it should be
possible, it is a powerfull watch with a powerful cpu and enough ram and internal memory capacity but you are right about the FPS.

I think that this could be a software problem and because im on the stock rom i would appreciate some feedback from the FAW firmware.

The shared specs link is also about the Sony IMX214 sensor if you only read about the sensor and not the USB board. It is exactly the one used in the Optimus 2.

Thanks for explaining the origins of this project.

At least the brand company should support the development (Optimus 2) of this watch and fixes any problems for much reasons i think.

One of the main reasons is because this watch is still for sale and is probably a flagship device. The latest firmware update was exactly one year ago (01-12-2021).
The lem16 has resonantly got a upgrade to android 11 for example.

Did contact Kospet about this but no answer and because the company website refers to this forum for support it is better to at least leave messages here…

No, LEM16 delivered as Android 11 right from day 1, no update to that. It did get and update to fix some problems reported by this community though.

7 Likes

Thanks to Dotsfar for correcting my mistake about the android version of the Lem 16.

I hope Kospet would do the same when it comes to the Optimus 2 about fixing reported problems on the FAW forum.
This is the only way of delivering a good product so it could possible dominate the market and sell itself.

After sales support is very important to me and this community if im allowed to speak for other members on this forum…

1 Like

I don’t think you understand the way this works…?
A watch is released on a certain Android version.
It is not going to be updated to a new version and will not receive security updates because these are custom devices that are unsupported by Google etc.

The usual way of things is a model is sold for a period of time and then a new one is released.

Updates are only released if a function is not working. They are not OS or security updates. Just bug fixes.

Hence the cheap pricing for a device that has this level of functionality.

The other thing to note is that Kospet is a brand.
They do not make the firmware or the watch.
The devices are made by a factory and a solution provider makes the firmware which is applied by the factory.
Kospet orders the device to be made, configured and then sells it.
It’s usually a bulk order of between 1000 - 1500 pieces, and once they are all sold it is time to organise a new model.

Optimus 2 is no longer in production and so any purchased recently will be “old” stock.

We are their technical support outside of China, voluntarily.
Because it is just not possible for them to provide answers to all customer’s questions.
That’s what this site does - bridging a gap for users because we are Android Watch enthusiasts.
Cheers

10 Likes

As far as my knowledge goes android is still a open source operating system for mobile devices…

I think it’s highly time for that if we look at using the watch for bluetooth calls from a smartphone and some other bugs like camera resolutions.

This Kospet brand is at the end responsible for delivering a good product to their customers so they got to demand from the factory before and after sales support when it comes to hardware or software…
As a brand you can’t take your hands of this responsibility i think, at least this is how it works within the EU…

2 Likes

Not supporting bluetooth calling is not a bug, but a choice they have made. The camera resolutions, ok, that can be seen as a bug, but I highly doubt that they will take the time to fix it just so the only person who wants to make videos in 4K 5fps can do so.

4 Likes

Ow ok, as a user a could say i dont like limiting technology but they got probably a reason for it which points into the direction of their benefits…

You are right about the fps when recording in 4k but there are a lot of different resolutions between 4k recording and full hd recording, please have a look at the end of the official Kospet optimus 2 thread where i did explain the bug in details with pictures.
Optimus 2 could only record videos with 2.07 MP which my 4 years old Lem X also does, so please don’t advertise with futures that don’t work i would say…

1 Like

@okwhateverok
It’s been written several times before, but I’ll repeat it again, because I’m not sure that you’ve already noticed:
The development of this firmware has been completed. We have achieved the set goals. Bluetooth calling hasn’t worked since Android 5 due to Android security policies, so it’s not a bug, it’s a conscious decision based on security concerns.
Use the FAW firmware if you want. If not, use the original firmware. Your decision. But none of the firmwares will see any further development. That’s for sure.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me and others know that a brand new device bought for 200 euro and got delivered 14 days ago is not supported in any way anymore.

That is verry good news that made not only my day but the rest of this year and every word is verry verry sarcastic.

2 Likes

It depends on what you mean by “support”

If we didn’t exist then just like all the other Chinese Android watches - you would and will still get warranty.

None of these products get “development” or OS support - officially.
This is something that people should know and research before buying a device.
This is the difference between a €200 device that does a lot for the money but receives only a limited hardware warranty, or a €600 device that has limited features but is “officially” supported.

We do what we can here on our own volition. We don’t work for anyone and we don’t get paid for this stuff we do in our spare time.

7 Likes

It’s not a choice…
It’s a limitation introduced in Android OS after Android 5.1.
As security was tightened, access to contacts, voice calls and the BT stack was locked down in the OS.
It’s just the way it is.
Sorry @G1NT0N1C just noticed that you have already answered this.
As well as @noidremained :+1:

I can tell you that they did invest significantly, trying to find a solution for BT phone calls post Android 5.1… It didn’t work out.

An example of them being focused on customer requests is Face Unlock.
This is now unsupported by Google and they developed their own solution to get around this…

Trust me, if they could do it - they certainly would.

1 Like

Yes, and Kospet actually does do a pretty good job of replacing faulty products.
Evidence of this can be seen in the various support threads.
If one of the functions that they advertise is not working, they do address the problem.

2 Likes

Android OS is open source but the custom drivers, interface and configurations required for a round screen watch are closed source.

2 Likes

Please don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like the message. A quick search on the internet would have been enough to determine that it was NOT a product that had just been released.
You would then also have known that Bluetooth calling does not work, even the “problem” with the video resolution has already been dealt with in a YouTube video. So, thorough research on this watch would have been helpful. Instead, you’re complaining verbosely here in the forum. Nobody here is to blame if you are not satisfied. It’s a bit like buying an iPhone and then complaining that it won’t fold.
By the way, I currently use this watch as a daily driver. It is a really excellent device for this money, which offers many possibilities. Perhaps you should put your energy into exploring these possibilities.
Instead of whining about what the device can’t do-
with persons who are not responsible for this.

4 Likes

Very well said @G1NT0N1C & @pablo11 ! :+1: In the final analysis each person makes (And should take responsibility for) their own decisions about what they will or will not buy. As you said there is a wealth of information on the internet about these products . Reviews that cover their …good points…bad points…faults…features, etc. So lack of knowledge about the product is certainly not the fault of anyone on the Forum. Cheers, Doons

4 Likes

You are right, i dont like bitching around but i like to take action, explore and fix stuff.
But when you look at the specs of a device it should be the right information when it comes from the official source.
I bought this device only because of its camera, the specs of this camera are the best of all android watches when it comes to the camera, but then it turns out not working as it should be so im trying to find answers to get it fixed.

No one did mention the camera2 api bug anywhere before i did. Somebody got to be the first one reporting the issue before you blame anybody about the lack of knowledge, thank you

Mate, Just let me make the point…My post was addressed to @G1NT0N1C & @pablo11 NOT you…so if you read something into it that you think was directed solely at you…or that I was blaming you for anything…well then thats your problem…it was meant to be an agreement with G1N about just how much information is out there on the net and a general comment on NOT blaming the people on this Forum for a product fault. So please take note that my comments were not specifically about you!..Thank You!

4 Likes