Bootloop and stuck

Dec 5, 2018 9:07:05 GMT 1 tomguide said:

Dec 5, 2018 3:42:56 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:tomguide

that means the firmware that you’ve tried is’nt the right one that is not going to be easy considering there are more than 2 types of the watch and each has it’s firmware.

No,actually the Touch Screen issue is before I tried to flash the software. So it had nothing to do with the firmware I downloaded here.

But tonight I tried to flash the firmware, it went fine until about 48-50% of the last file/partition (system I guess). Then it gave me an error and flash tool stopped. I tried multiple times and it behaved same. Now the watch is stuck at the power on logo screen (UP with hundreds ballons and the house), worse than before. I assume this is because the flash didn’t work and errored out in last step which messed up System Partition. Please help!

ok,this time reflash completed fine. But the Touch Screen still doesn’t work, and it seems all my original apps installed on the watch are still there. So reflash doesn’t do factory reset? I was suspecting some software issue that caused the Touch Screen problem, and a simple reset would fix it… How do i trigger a reset from FlashTool?

tomguide

i do’nt understand any of what you wrote!

1. when did the touch stop responsive?

2. what did you choose in sp.f.tool? download only or upgrading firmware? which was marked in sp.f.tool and which not?

My watch is yet to arrive, but I am becoming spectical that I have made the right choice or not?

Hope the arriving piece is OK!

Dec 5, 2018 21:02:10 GMT 1 Deepak said:

do’nt worry it is a great watch mine is the mtk6737 and the one with mtk6739 is way better in battery and software meaning, i will show that in a video, btw, the problem is’nt the watch but Gearbest and actually i am still waiting on how he ended up in the first place with bricked watch and i’ve told him that flashing firmware without knowing the right one can end up with the same issue or worse with bricked watch ppl forgeting that even software can do a great deal of harm to the watch and damage hardware beyond repair.

Dec 6, 2018 3:21:26 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Dec 5, 2018 21:02:10 GMT 1 Deepak said:

do’nt worry it is a great watch mine is the mtk6737 and the one with mtk6739 is way better in battery and software meaning, i will show that in a video, btw, the problem is’nt the watch but Gearbest and actually i am still waiting on how he ended up in the first place with bricked watch and i’ve told him that flashing firmware without knowing the right one can end up with the same issue or worse with bricked watch ppl forgeting that even software can do a great deal of harm to the watch and damage hardware beyond repair.

I have also ordered from Gearbest only.

Is there any issues with Gearbest?

soniasophie9697,

As i mentioned in my previous post:

1. touch screen stop responsive/working entirely happened first(1-2 times out of 5 reboots), then bootloop(3-4 times out of 5 reboots), then i posted and create this thread on this forum for the first time. So it was BEFORE I tried to flash ANY software.

2. i followed exactly the instruction posted in the post on this thread and selected Download only, it evntually finished flashing and now i am out of of bootloop, but stuck at the touch sreen not working consistebtly every time. So reflash did help to some extent, fixed bootloop, but the watch is still useless for now as I can do nothing without touch response after booting into system.

3. I am a seasoned software engineer so I am aware a wrong software can do harm clearly. That’s why I am trying to ask a way to factory reset the watch using spf flash tool (again, touch screen doesnt work so i can not get into settings menu to reset. ) , to see if that clears any software issue thay causes touch screen malfunctioning.

So can someone tell me how to trigger watch’s android os reset using spf tool? Thanks.

Dec 5, 2018 15:06:44 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:tomguide

i do’nt understand any of what you wrote!

1. when did the touch stop responsive?

2. what did you choose in sp.f.tool? download only or upgrading firmware? which was marked in sp.f.tool and which not?

Dec 5, 2018 9:21:53 GMT 1 tomguide said:
Dec 5, 2018 9:07:05 GMT 1 tomguide said:
No,actually the Touch Screen issue is before I tried to flash the software. So it had nothing to do with the firmware I downloaded here.

But tonight I tried to flash the firmware, it went fine until about 48-50% of the last file/partition (system I guess). Then it gave me an error and flash tool stopped. I tried multiple times and it behaved same. Now the watch is stuck at the power on logo screen (UP with hundreds ballons and the house), worse than before. I assume this is because the flash didn’t work and errored out in last step which messed up System Partition. Please help!

ok,this time reflash completed fine. But the Touch Screen still doesn’t work, and it seems all my original apps installed on the watch are still there. So reflash doesn’t do factory reset? I was suspecting some software issue that caused the Touch Screen problem, and a simple reset would fix it… How do i trigger a reset from FlashTool?

If you still see your App then you have not flashed the user data partition, just flash it.

How?

Dec 6, 2018 7:39:51 GMT 1 ricktop said:
Dec 5, 2018 9:21:53 GMT 1 tomguide said:

If you still see your App then you have not flashed the user data partition, just flash it.

You need to flash again selecting everything except for the pre-loader (just to be safe)

Use “Download Only” option in the SP Flash Tool.

Once it has completed make sure you do a factory reset of the watch.

This last step will clear up the watch.

Of course, the other thing to consider is - did you flash the correct firmware version for your screen?

As I said before, in this thread I think? - the IQI I8 M6739 version watch has 4 different types of screen and 4 versions of firmware.

People really need to take care and note down the details of their original firmware version.

Flashing firmware is also mostly unnecessary unless there is a new feature or significant change.
Normally, if this is the case an OTA update is issued anyway.

So, unless it’s really important my advice is to leave the watches as they are unless you genuinely need to fix an issue.

So many people here just jump right in and flash their watches before they have even become familiar with it or had a chance to get to use it for a while…

Thanks, RASC Moderators.

I only have stuff shared by noidremained on this thread. By selecting everything, did you mean some operation on spf flash tool itself, or modifying the config file to change each partition to isDownload = true?

And where is that Reset option as last step you mentioned? Some GUI button, or some text string i need to nodify in that config file?

Dec 6, 2018 12:48:47 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:
You need to flash again selecting everything except for the pre-loader (just to be safe)

Your advice makes total sense to general usecase.

However, it does not apply to my case. It stopped working after 1 week’s use FIRST, before i could have noted down the firmware. And any Sane person would not EXPECT the same model of watch has 4 different hardware screens and 4 firmware versions and it will break just so quickly. I would call myself a power user of Android, and i have owned 20-30 of Android devices in past 10 years , flashed custom rom, bricking/unbricking most of them, very familiar with adb and fastboot commands. This MTK watch (and spf tool being the tool to flash) is by far the weirdest combination of hw/sw. With all due respect.

Dec 7, 2018 6:57:10 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:

Of course, the other thing to consider is - did you flash the correct firmware version for your screen?

As I said before, in this thread I think? - the IQI I8 M6739 version watch has 4 different types of screen and 4 versions of firmware.

People really need to take care and note down the details of their original firmware version.

Flashing firmware is also mostly unnecessary unless there is a new feature or significant change.

So, unless it’s really important my advice is to leave the watches as they are unless you genuinely need to fix an issue.

So many people here just jump right in and flash their watches before they have even become familiar with it or had a chance to get to use it for a while…

tomguide

he meant in sp.f.tool choose everything just not preloader and after that reset the watch again via settings.

we meant our users should first ask if to update or not i always tell ppl if ain’t broken…then do’nt fix it:) the issues of the differences in screen types is a huge problem for us too and we try to work on it so ppl be aware of it and to be careful when they flash firmware.

RASC Moderators

Dec 7, 2018 7:06:18 GMT 1 tomguide said:

However, it does not apply to my case. It stopped working after 1 week’s use FIRST, before i could have noted down the firmware. And any Sane person would not EXPECT the same model of watch has 4 different hardware screens and 4 firmware versions and it will break just so quickly. I would call myself a power user of Android, and i have owned 20-30 of Android devices in past 10 years , flashed custom rom, bricking/unbricking most of them, very familiar with adb and fastboot commands. This MTK watch (and spf tool being the tool to flash) is by far the weirdest combination of hw/sw. With all due respect.

Dec 7, 2018 6:57:10 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:

tomguide. For the benefit of everyone, my point on writing down the firmware is to do it as soon as you get your watch and not wait until you have a problem. A sane person would carefully research a watch before buying it. Most of the information they need is available on this site, if they take the time to read it. I am still undecided on the LemX waiting to see what falls out before making the BIG leap.
Dec 7, 2018 6:58:42 GMT 1 tomguide said:
Thanks, RASC Moderators .

I only have stuff shared by noidremained on this thread. By selecting everything, did you mean some operation on spf flash tool itself, or modifying the config file to change each partition to isDownload = true?

And where is that Reset option as last step you mentioned? Some GUI button, or some text string i need to nodify in that config file?

Dec 6, 2018 12:48:47 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:

yes, you’ll have to change is_download to equal true instead of false. Just take the partitions for which there is a file. And as the others said don’t take the preloader, just to be safe.

If it doesn’t help you can also try to flash twrp and see if the touch is working there. Download: drive.google.com/file/d/1tqnSMoyxVSkNvC-vk7b1mq-2vhscC4N_/view?usp=sharing If you can connect with adb you can flash it as it is and use “adb reboot recovery”, else you can try and flash the twrp image onto the boot partition.

Thank you so much @noidrenained for your help!

I don’t think i can turn on usb debugging (unless it’s set to on by default factory mode) due to touch screen not working. So ADB is N/A. Will try messing with scatter file and flash all partitions except preloader though.

Somehow, unfortunately, i feel this might be a hardware issue which given my case indicates quality problem. I would be happy but surprised if a software reset fixes it:)

Dec 8, 2018 1:52:08 GMT 1 noidremained said:
Dec 7, 2018 6:58:42 GMT 1 tomguide said:
Thanks, RASC Moderators .

yes, you’ll have to change is_download to equal true instead of false. Just take the partitions for which there is a file. And as the others said don’t take the preloader, just to be safe.

If it doesn’t help you can also try to flash twrp and see if the touch is working there. Download: drive.google.com/file/d/1tqnSMoyxVSkNvC-vk7b1mq-2vhscC4N_/view?usp=sharing If you can connect with adb you can flash it as it is and use “adb reboot recovery”, else you can try and flash the twrp image onto the boot partition.

Dec 7, 2018 8:33:47 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:tomguide

he meant in sp.f.tool choose everything just not preloader and after that reset the watch again via settings.

we meant our users should first ask if to update or not i always tell ppl if ain’t broken…then do’nt fix it:) the issues of the differences in screen types is a huge problem for us too and we try to work on it so ppl be aware of it and to be careful when they flash firmware.

RASC Moderators

Thanks soniasophie9697. and I agree with your suggestion of " if ain't broken...then do'nt fix it"
Dec 7, 2018 14:59:35 GMT 1 capt jon said:
Dec 7, 2018 7:06:18 GMT 1 tomguide said:

tomguide. For the benefit of everyone, my point on writing down the firmware is to do it as soon as you get your watch and not wait until you have a problem. A sane person would carefully research a watch before buying it. Most of the information they need is available on this site, if they take the time to read it. I am still undecided on the LemX waiting to see what falls out before making the BIG leap.

@caption. I have no intention to argue, but your statement (after all my detailed explanation) makes me feel you are expecting other people to behave in a specific (aka “your”) pattern to be sane. After all it’s just a android gadget worth less than $150, which is less than an entry level cell phone. I can’t comment on your decision to buy something and why you think buying a watch like this is a BIG leap. But I already did my research on the product page of the website who sells it (Gearbest in this case) and made sure all the technical spec would work for me including those cellular bands. When you said "A sane person would carefully research a watch before buying it. Most of the information they need is available on this site, if they take the time to read it. " I had to laugh, cuz apparently in your mind all these chinese made watches are outright not trustworthy and they are guaranteed to break/defective, so you have to come to search for a website like this to reflash/unbrick it. Would you do this before u buy a iphone or pixel? I doubt it, but I as a sane (imho) person would NOT assume a legit electronic product to break automatically and proactively research the repair process before buying it. Sorry, that’s insane to me in my definition. 

tomguide

i think you got it wrong:) capt jon meant this forum to read what other users say about the watches learn from what is said here not on seller website we try our best to make sure that what users need to know about the watches they get it from first hand who is pablo11  who knows all about firmwares and technical specs of watches and the ones to come out.

tomguide

Sonia is correct about capt jon.
He is very helpful and has been with us for a long time. He does not mean anything negative in his comments.

Anyway, are you still having issues?
Can you tell me the exact firmware that you had on the watch when it arrived please?

I am hoping that this is just a case of wrong firmware but from what you have said above - it sounds like your watch was working fine (on whatever firmware you have) - but then touch response stopped working?

Was this after you had flashed firmware or have you been trying to flash firmware to fix the screen problem?

Cheers

Pablo11.