Android 11 is here! Lokmat APPLLP 4 Pro and LEM16 Z40 models

True . I looked also . Nothing on A11

6 Likes

I suspect @StormChild didn’t have a LEM16 to check. But definitely a good idea. :+1:

6 Likes

@pablo11 it sounds like you are saying that Android 11 creates issues with non system apps writing to storage. Is this why it is difficult (or impossible) to restore configuration files or backups? I have had problems with aTimeLogger - Time Tracker, FreeOTP+ (2FA Authenticator), and a few others. Is it just me or is Android 11 making access more difficult? Also, is there a work around? Or do we wait for an OTA?
Thanks!

@watchuser
An OTA is on the way to address several issues and this is one of them.

3 Likes

The LEM 16 as a phone replacement experience

Must haves in order to use as a phone replacement

• Reception A phone replacement must have good reception, which the LEM 16 has. There is no noticeable reception difference between the LEM 16 and Moto E. Phone calls, texts, and data work the same. No one complaints of patchy or dropped calls.
  • Long phone calls For those who like to use a FAW as a phone replacement, the LEM 16 allows for long phone calls without overheating. The FAW LEM 5 up to the LEM X watches I had overheated on long calls and caused the device to shut down. Perhaps it is the new chips (like the ones in the Rogbid Air) that do not overheat. I use AT&T towers with RedPocket as my MVNO.
  • Touchscreen the touchscreen is quite accurate when compared to the Rogbid Air. Typing texts messages is quite easy even with larger fingers on the watch touchscreen keyboard (for those of us who are used to watch phone keyboards).

Features that matter in FAW usage

• Screen size the 1.6 round screen is about the maximum size for a small wrist. Small enough not to be clunky yet large enough to use with a GPS app while driving.
  • GPS the GPS takes a little time to connect. But that was true on the Moto E.
  • Bluetooth The LEM 16 Bluetooth delivers better connectivity and volume through the Anker soundcore Frames than the Moto E did.
  • Wi-Fi Wi-Fi delivers a solid 5GHz connection. (Blazingly fast with Syncthing)
  • Battery life is also excellent, even with a VPN and Syncthing running in the background. Others will be able to fine tune their apps as others in this thread to achieve lengthy battery life.
  • RAM the 6 GB of RAM allow more apps to be running concurrently. My Moto E with 2 GB RAM does not compare!
  • ROM the 128 GB of ROM really works great with syncing files from the computer via Syncthing. Hundreds upon hundreds of files sync between the changes made on the computer and on the watch. The generous ROM ensures the storage warnings I used to get on the Moto E.
  • Cameras The front camera is OK for video chatting. The side camera is decent for average pictures and are OK for apps like CamScanner and TextGrabber Scan OCR Translate. Using the prior two apps requires taking the watch off and getting used to positioning the watch side camera over the information to scan. It does take getting used to.
  • “Hotspot” usage I don’t use the hotspot over Wi-Fi. Perhaps other users can share their experience. PdaNet+ works great to tether a computer even with a VPN app. I was able to talk on the phone will using the PdaNet+ tethering tunneled through the IVPN service. The watch did not overheat like former FAWs.
  • Speaker The speaker is loud and loud as speakerphone. Of course the sound quality does not have the HD sound of the Anker PowerConf S500 Speakerphone, which works great as a conference phone when paired with the watch.

Recommendations:

• The Anker soundcore Frames provide excellent noise reduction and audio as far as glasses go. Just a watch and eyeglasses on privacy mode and no one is the wiser when listening to podcasts or taking a phone call.
  • Genymobile scrcpy is the best watch display and control via USB or over TCP/IP. It does not require any root access. MyPhoneExplorer had connectivity issues. With scrcpy any app can be used and controlled with the keyboard and mouse. I love the ability to copy and paste text between the computer and watch seamlessly! Even when the screen is in the “Circle Screen” mode, the scrcpy does not crop the corners. The user gets to see the full 400 by 400 square. Since scrcpy is so lightweight, I can install it on a work computer and access my watch. Many thanks to @pablo11 for this productivity app recommendation!
  • Floating Toucher works well and reduces the amount of swiping and/or button pressing when switching between apps or adjusting settings. You can find the app APK at TinyURL.com/AndroidWatches. Thank to SmartWatch Ticks!

In summary this is the best FAW as a phone replacement in my experience. Hope to hear others experience also. If you are in doubt about the FAW experience, this forum is the place to be!

7 Likes

The only thing I would like to add is:
Don’t use the built in tethering app if you can avoid it, or the watch face “store”
This is because they open up insecure connections to servers mirrored to the cloud from China.
There is no way to control or delete your personal data if you use the tethering app.
You have no way of knowing what the data is being used for either.
This app is far superior and is secure.

The developer is a member of this forum.
It does not have as many funky health app options, however you should take into consideration that only the heart rate monitoring is providing you with real data.
The other stuff is all software calculation and that’s why there is always a “disclaimer” stating that this is not a medical device.
In my opinion the possible misuse of your data and insecure connection is enough reason for not using the built-in tethering app.
This is not the fault of the brands selling these products, it is all they have access to. If it is removed, customers complain. They can’t win, no matter what they do.

The watch face “store” is not as serious but still connects directly to an insecure source.
There is no need for it because as you can see from this site alone - there are thousands of watch faces available for free, which any user can download and install.

These are a couple of issues that we fix for the international FAW firmware. But currently it is not available for this model.

6 Likes

@watchuser thanks for the comprehensive personal review :handshake::handshake:

2 Likes

The Watch Droid Phone / Assistant provided dependable use with the FAW connected to my Moto E. So much can be configured. If you don’t want to use your FAW only, this is the app that will keep your phone in your pocket. And it’s nice to hear that the app is secure and privacy friendly.

2 Likes

What a nice comprehensive review. Thanks for the many app tips, which I am going to try out. With all that usage, how many hours of battery duration do you typically get from one charge ? (Not adding from the dock or topping up)

2 Likes

Today with SIM connected in 2G mode, my keyboard started to enter numbers itself and also when I pressed one button, an other button 4-5 buttons to the right was pressed simultaneously. Looks like the watch has trouble with the RF from the radio under certain circumstances…

So - is everyone having issues with raise to wake stopping working after several hours…?
Also need to know if step counter stops when raise to wake stops… If it stops that is…

1 Like

Sounds like a conflicting app to be honest @Dotsfar.
I have had this device for a while now and have never seen this problem :thinking:

I have, some posts back, also described that I have problems with the raise to wake. I described it as feeling that the watch goes into deep sleep, but what I observe is that raise to wake seems impossible to wake no matter how much I try, for periods, but then later it works again. Good point to check if the step counter also pauses, I didn’t check that. Also difficult to check, because how would you know the step count juuuuust before the unresponsiveness starts, since we don’t know when it begins…

1 Like

I haven’t observed it before either. Switched the SIM of and problem gone…
I was trying to enter a WiFi code when it happened, so I was in a system app.

About raise to wake:

Does it only happen with stock built in faces applied?
Or only when a custom watch face is applied?
We are aware of a storage security issue…
So, if a custom watch face is being used when “raise to wake” stops working, would help to diagnose the problem.

Any feedback is appreciated because they are holding back on an OTA until these bugs are resolved.
Cheers

1 Like

I am using one of the great JN watchfaces. I think I only used the factory one one or two days. I see, ok then I will try a factory one for a while. I like the default one :ok_hand:

2 Likes

@Dotsfar Thanks, I am very much expecting the issue to be most obvious when using a custom watch face in the clockskin folder on the watch storage :+1::+1:

But if it is a permission issue, why does the watchface turn on as soon as you press the button ? This is my observation, it is only detection of wrist movement which doesn’t activate the watchface, but as soon as I press the button, it is there immediately.

Only a few hours in, but I have a feeling of a more alive watchface. Just i initial impression, I think we need to give it a whole 24h to be certain.

I had the same problem when I key in the Sim code. Suddenly the watch makes very inputs without my finger. Then it was very slowly, it was difficult to make a shutdown. At this point I haven’t done a factory reset, but now I have done this to check the issue again. Since 2 days everything is running OK.

@pablo11 I have not installed any of my own watchfaces yet, (waiting for the ota) and have no problems with lift to wake.

2 Likes