Advice for a new owner

Yes, that’s what you have to do. :innocent:

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: FAW release candidate 1 v1.3

I wanted to post my experience as a long time follower of these forums but a first time owner of an android watch. 1) for the standby time, I’ve found that I left it overnight, all network adapters in, connected to my Bluetooth earphones and my WiFi. And it drained 28% in 8 hours. Is that normal? Is there any way to get more juice?

Next I have an issue with the apps I downloaded. They are all showing the tablet version, is there someway i can fix this? Is there a way to get the apps to zoom in?

Prime 2 with factory firmware, yep that’s pretty much why everyone turns off any connectivity when they are not using them.
28% with all that enabled… I’d say it was about normal. Especially if it is the first time you have used it and includes set up etc…

Is there anyway to sort out app scaling?

Do you already know about longpress power and choose the square/round screen format (which is just scaling) ?

3 Likes

This I know but it’s not the issue. I think it is a screen orientation issue where I see the landscape version of the app, not the portrait version

Do you have a rotation app installed, which can rotate between landscape and portrait?
Or have you tweaked any settings like the screen DPI or developer settings?

When it rotates, it rotates the actual screen so i don’t think that works. When I tweaked the DPI, that also didn’t make a difference, so I really am not sure. Is there a way to root/ I’m thinking it make sense to use titanium to backup my data and then install faw and then redo my backups. Also is anyone experiencing a bluey tint on their photos.

@piemanny Have you checked that third party app scaling is not enabled?
I think the setting is in the “Optimisation” app if you are using stock factory firmware and is like the photo below.
If you are using the FAW international firmware you should not have this problem.
Regarding the camera, try changing to a different camera app and test if the blue tint is still there. This can be a side effect on factory firmware because the face unlock app is custom made and a lot of code for the camera was modified to make it work.

2 Likes

So that setting was on, but i turned it off and unfortunately there wasn’t any effect

Have you tested the FAW international firmware?
The last factory firmware v2.1 was known to have formatting issues.

This is a Prime 2 you are using right?

1 Like

That is correct, I’ have not tested the international firmware. I’m looking to find the time so I can root my current firmware, use titanium backup to back up the data and then wipe and flash the new firmware. Unfortunately it took me about 4 hours to set up my Prime 2 and I just don’t have that time to waste. Do you have any other suggestions for backup

during the rooting process the watch will be factory reset, so looking for other backup methods instead sounds like a good idea

4 Likes

And let us know how you get on with the root process and what you will be able to achieve with root👌

I didn’t root the phone, but I wanted to share my experiences as new first time user. Firstly, the FAW firmware is a game changer! IT IS SO GOOD!, the phone feels far more useful (it feels more like a phone now), it feels snappier, the battery seems a bit better though I’m not sure, but it just feels great. So as soon as you get the Prime 2, I highly recommend you flash this firmware straight away, DON’T WAIT!!!
There are a few things I find a little annoying but I think they are solveable. Firstly, I wish there was a native battery indicator (not on the launcher, as I changed the launcher). Usually on the phone, you have the status bar, but there is no status bar on this watch, it makes it difficult if you just use a normal phone launcher, but that is something I can solve with a third party app, so its not a biggie. What is a biggie, is because of the two button system, the home button triples as a back button and a lock button, which is frustrating because sometimes you just want to lock the watch on a specific app, and unfortunately, you have to wait for the battery to go to sleep. On phones, you can double tap the status bar and put the phone to sleep, that way, I wonder if that is possible on FAW? So far, I just installed button mapper and actually, it solves a lot of my gripes. Lastly, I had to uninstall a number of the apps that came in the box and I had to use adb for this. I’m the type of person, I have a particular app for most use, and if it possible, apart from play store, camera and settings, and perhaps the default launcher, I do think everything should be uninstallable. e.g. I don’t use the default google messages, app, I use facebook messages for sms, and I don’t use Chrome, I use Edge. That being said, I love the fact that the apps scaling is so good. It’s really big, all the apps that I use are very compatible and I find myself being able to read things very comfortably.

These are my thoughts from my usage of this device. The reason I wanted an Android watch was for three reasons. 1) As I live in China, we have to open our Covid code every time we want to use public transport, and it is such a pain taking out my phone, so I wanted this watch for that, 2) I wanted to use QR payments as we use that a lot here in China and 3) I wanted to listed to podcasts on spotify with my bluetooth headsets. I can say for all those purposes, the Prime 2 is great! I chose the Prime 2 because of its big battery because of its camera (to scan QR codes). And for that it is great. I like to have everything turned on, bluetooth, gps, wifi, data, and unfortunately if you turn on data, this watch cannot last the day. I would say that even if you don’t use it at all, I think the Kostpet Prime 2 will only last for 7 hours. The chipset is too power hungry/ the battery is too small. However, if you don’t have a simcard in, with everything on, it should last you the whole day out.

I’m loving the Kospet Prime 2 but I think if I were to get another full android watch. I would want it 1) to be square or rectangular, as Android is not made for circular screen, and I think the aesthetics become more of a hindrance… 2) I would want it to be waterproof; the Kospet Prime 2 has a great camera but it is not waterproof, and I am so careful with it around water, and 3) I would want either a less power hungry chip or a bigger battery. I would love to listen to podcasts all day, and have a sim card in it and not have to worry about having to fiddle with it to conserve battery.

Regardless of these issues, I’m loving my Prime 2. It has been a real game changer in my life, and make sure you install FAW. It makes the watch work so well.

2 Likes

Not on my phone ? That must be a customization by your specific phone vendor…

I can have the phone (SIM) active for a full day, not only 7 hours, but it depends very much on the signal strength and perhaps bands supported by the nearest radio tower.
I think your choice of Facebook produced apps (even for SMS), and perhaps other apps you have chosen, may cause higher power usage. Without SIM on, my battery will last for at least 1.5 day.

For a rectangular watch, have a look at Ticwris Max S (or Kospet Note which is the same watch). THAT watch (which has also a nice battery) would be fantastic with the FAW firmware (originally they have only Android 7, so some of my apps don’t work). I really hope they will make a new Android 10 version of this watch, which will be suitable for the FAW firmware :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You know double tap to wake is a feature in the display settings on the FAW firmware?
Its pretty good to use :+1:
Very glad to hear that you are enjoying it and thank you for your feedback about the FAW firmware :+1:

PS - Yes, absolutely NOT waterproof and even on very hot days - it’s worth wearing a sweat band just to be on the safe side.
Just my opinion of course.

2 Likes

Do you how to find the double tap to wake setting?

1 Like

Like this.
In display settings.

2 Likes