Zeblaze Thor 4 doesn't connect to mobile network

Hello people,

I recently purchased a Zeblaze Thor 4 but it doesn’t connect to the mobile network (or rather 1 time out of 100)

1. I tried many different SIM cards from various local carriers (Algeria) but none worked once inside the SIM tray.

Same SIM cards work flawlessly on other phones.

1. I reflashed the latest firmware 2018-06 but the issue remains.

2. I flashed the Lemfo Lem7 latest firmware but same issue again (baseband unchanged).

3. As I already told, I could connect to the network once out of 100 tries only to lose the link seconds later and the carrier research rarely returns any results.

4. The original owner made it work with no issues in France and another user who tried the watch could easily connect to the LTE band.

I’m positive it’s not a hardware issue but rather software.

Is there any way I could replace the baseband or Kernel?

Of course, any other suggestion is most welcome. Just lemme know if you need additional details.

Many thanks for your precious help.

blackheart

have you checked that the bands of the watch are supported by the carriers in your country? calls and sms work? data connection is enabled? what about APNs? is the imei exist?

Sept 25, 2018 11:30:42 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:blackheart

have you checked that the bands of the watch are supported by the carriers in your country? calls and sms work? data connection is enabled? what about APNs? is the imei exist?

soniasophie9697

Thanks for your quick reply.

According to the specs, all local data bands are supported by the watch’s modem.

Calls and SMS work only when it detects the carrier which is something that rarely happens and in very specific areas (yes I tried).

Mobile data is enabled of course and the APN is Well configured (come predetermined in the SIM itself and gets set up by default by the system).

There’s an IMEI number in the info tab.

Any advice?

blackheart

what is the firmware that you tried and did’nt work? give me plz links to all of them.

Sept 25, 2018 12:28:24 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:blackheart

what is the firmware that you tried and did’nt work? give me plz links to all of them.

soniasophie9697

I got the latest official Thor 4 firmware from Gearbest :

www.gearbest.com/blog/download/zeblaze-thor-4-smartwatch-phone-update-rom-firmware-pack-2873

And I found the Lem7 latest official ROM in the forums dedicated thread :

/thread/2368/lem7-official-factory-firmware-updated

Both flashed perfectly but it didn’t solve the issue because I des expecting the baseband to be upgraded as well but it wasn’t.

blackheart

which version of the lem7 did you try?

btw, none of the sims you’ve tired work at all?

Sept 25, 2018 13:52:16 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:blackheart

which version of the lem7 did you try?

btw, none of the sims you’ve tired work at all?

I tried the 2.5 version found in the given link.

And indeed, none of the SIMS I tried did work with the watch (I tried a dozen) but they all worked on other smart devices.

blackheart

the only thing i can think of as a problem is the sim slot as you said it works for a while and then stop. when you flashed your watch did you use upgrading or download only?

Sept 25, 2018 18:37:10 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:blackheart

the only thing i can think of as a problem is the sim slot as you said it works for a while and then stop. when you flashed your watch did you use upgrading or download only?

I used the “firmware upgrade” option every time for a full wipe and a clean flash.

I might be wrong but I doubt it’s the SIM slot because the vendor (a trustful one), confirmed he used to use the SIM in it for mobile data.

Plus, when I ordered it, the shipment transited by a friend of mine who also used it a few days and confirmed the SIM worked like a charm.

I think the only way I can be sure is by flashing it with a different but working baseband. Can I do it technically spoken.

blackheart

for how long do you have the watch? did you flash the watch with sim in it? did you try the latest firmware for lem7?

pablo11

blackheart

You cannot flash different base bands.

The included bands are all that are available.

You have tried different sims that use different bands or all use the same band?

Can you tell us what bands you can use?

The most common reasons for this problem are the IMEI is gone (check in watch settings / About Watch / Status) or the sim tray in the watch has either a missing connection pin or one pin is lower than the others and contact is broken.

Sept 26, 2018 3:22:33 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:blackheart

for how long do you have the watch? did you flash the watch with sim in it? did you try the latest firmware for lem7?

pablo11

I’ve now had for almost a week and during the whole period, it worked no more than a few seconds when I could fix a signal.

I’ve never flashed it with a SIM inserted but it was indeed the latest firmware for the Lem7

pablo11 AvatarSept 26, 2018 4:42:47 GMT 1 pablo11 said:blackheart
You cannot flash different base bands.

The included bands are all that are available.

You have tried different sims that use different bands or all use the same band?

I tried different SIMs but I guess they all use the same band. However, all those bands are supported by the watch witch are GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
WCDMA 900/2100MHz

Can you tell us what bands you can use?

[/B]I use B1 (2100Mhz) and 900/1800 for GSM.

All locally used bands are supported by the watch which again, managed to connect to the mobile network and I could even make a call[/B]

The most common reasons for this problem are the IMEI is gone (check in watch settings / About Watch / Status) or the sim tray in the watch has either a missing connection pin or one pin is lower than the others and contact is broken.

[/quote]

[/B]I have a valid EMEI and the SIM tray looks undamaged[/B]

Sounds like a serious problem then.

Only option you have is to look for antenna damage or return it.

How can I do this? I mean shall I open it and look for that antenna to try to replace it? Or maybe replace the SIM tray?

I wish I could flash the modem to make sure it is (or not) related to it.

Sept 26, 2018 22:43:34 GMT 1 blackheart said:
How can I do this? I mean shall I open it and look for that antenna to try to replace it? Or maybe replace the SIM tray?

I wish I could flash the modem to make sure it is (or not) related to it.

The only thing you can do with the cell radio is write your IMEI… Cannot flash the cell radio.
The antenna is normally fairly easy to spot when you remove the rear cover.
The straps have 1 connector on one side and 2 on the other side of the watch.
It’s a case of checking that the antenna cable is attached to the main board properly.

If you do this you void your warranty.

Sounds like you need to return it if you have warranty. It may take a couple of weeks but at least you will have a good watch.

I bought it on second hand from someone in France. Considering she recently bought it, it must still be under warranty and I could give it a try.

Since there’s no customer service here in Algeria, I might have to send it back to Europe but it might cost me almost a new watch. I’ll need to consider the expenses.

Still, I’d really like to open it and check the antenna even if it means warranty void.

Could you provide me with some kind of schematics on which I could locate the suspected part and try to fix it if I can?

Many thanks in advance.

blackheart

I’m sorry but I don’t have any schematics for the watch.
But - there are only three possible connections to choose from.
One side will have one connection only (a tiny cable connected to the main board and passing through the body - into the strap)
The other side will have two of the same type of connection.

You can check if they are connected to the board correctly. Should not be loose at all. They are tight push-on connectors.

You can also check the cable insulation is intact and not shorting on the metal watch body.

Inside the strap these little cables will be connected to very thin strips (the antenna).

I remind you again though - if you remove the back cover it is very unlikely that you can claim on any warranty.

Sept 26, 2018 22:57:53 GMT 1 blackheart said:
I bought it on second hand from someone in France. Considering she recently bought it, it must still be under warranty and I could give it a try.

Since there’s no customer service here in Algeria, I might have to send it back to Europe but it might cost me almost a new watch. I’ll need to consider the expenses.

Still, I’d really like to open it and check the antenna even if it means warranty void.

Could you provide me with some kind of schematics on which I could locate the suspected part and try to fix it if I can?

Many thanks in advance.

This picture is of an opened H2 watch but it shows typical Antenna Connections for most of these watches where the wires extend from the bands and attach to the circuit board.

1492.jpg

pablo11 AvatarSept 27, 2018 8:55:49 GMT 1 pablo11 said:blackheart

I’m sorry but I don’t have any schematics for the watch.
But - there are only three possible connections to choose from.
One side will have one connection only (a tiny cable connected to the main board and passing through the body - into the strap)
The other side will have two of the same type of connection.

You can check if they are connected to the board correctly. Should not be loose at all. They are tight push-on connectors.

You can also check the cable insulation is intact and not shorting on the metal watch body.

Inside the strap these little cables will be connected to very thin strips (the antenna).

I remind you again though - if you remove the back cover it is very unlikely that you can claim on any warranty.

Thank you very much for this detailed guidance.

What are the odds the straps aren’t in place?

The SIM tray can’t be broken because the pins are perfectly in shape and place plus, the watch recognizes and reads the SIM card once inserted. It just cannot connect to the carrier.

And by the way, it already worked like a charm with the previous users as well as with me (made a call once and sent a text)

Sept 27, 2018 19:17:00 GMT 1 capt jon said:
Sept 26, 2018 22:57:53 GMT 1 blackheart said:

Many thanks in advance.

This picture is of an opened H2 watch but it shows typical Antenna Connections for most of these watches where the wires extend from the bands and attach to the circuit board.

Thanks for the picture! I’m sure it’ll help as I starting to believe I’ll definitely have to open the watch to make sure it ain’t (or is) the straps.