Watchface Designer

Just a file editor, supplemented by knowledge about array types and clockskins. In fact, I only use a drawing program to make many of my watchfaces, and I often write the XML manually.

1 Like

Thanks so much. And judging by your watchfaces, I’m even more impressed than before…

Also, I just found out that all my watch faces work on the stock launcher… So I made you go through all that trouble for nothing. Boy, is my face red. I apologize for wasting your time and I do really appreciate the effort and assistance.

1 Like

It’s not a waste of time, don’t worry. This is one way that it works on most launchers. And that’s what I always like to look for.
And it’s a good training… :wink:

hi,
What java version is ok? I have freeze time when i configure a circular steps.

Are you having issues with the Beta version

Although not perfect i dont have any crashes

the 64 bit version

Are there any guides for using watchfacedesigner? I can create and modify faces but some of the animation techniques are a mystery (how is it possible to animate image components or apply conditional logic - such as showing specific items at specific times or dates or battery power levels?).
Any help or pointers would be much appreciated
Cheers
Julian

Not really but you can try this -

Download a .gif animated image from google . Load into WFD and see how it works .

Another good way to learn is ask a member on this forum if they will share with you there original .xml file of a clockskin they have made . You could then load it into WFD to see how its done . I am away from my pc so i cannot send you one apart from this old one .

@teatimesoon … You can use various images and load them into WFD.
I believe the below is a link @Dr_Andy_Vishnu has shared before. It explains how to correct gif animations in wfd via editing the clockskin/xml file (once you have loaded the image in WFD) and saved out the clockskin file.

Hope this helps a bit.

1 Like

Hi . To be honest thats incorrect . Its just a basic ancient clockskin i made years back . If i were near my pc i would give him a newer one to use and study . As a designer yourself maybe you might want to give him one of yours ? As my old mum would say " sharing is caring " :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

@teatimesoon … Do you have a software to you can use to view and edit\save .xml files?

1 Like

Why would he need that now . If you share a link of a saved .xml file he can load into WFD he can see how you made it ( if you want to share ) . I didnt read the .xml files that are inside a completed clockskin . Apologies if i’m confusing things :+1:

Thanks @Dr_Andy_Vishnu and @Gazman for your help, although this is not quite what I was interested in learning. I referred to “animation techniques” but I am not interested in showing animated GIF frames - I was really wanting to understand how an object (e.g. a text object or a small image or icon) could be made to move according to the built-in logic rules within WFD - e.g. how would you make a small image move from one side of the watch face to the other according to the day of the month.
Also - how do I display a shape conditionally depending on the time of day (e.g. only after midnight but before midday)
Also how do I show the digital Hour as a single digit when before 10 (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc. instead of 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 etc.
Is there an option to display the Hour as a 24 hour clock?
These all seem basic questions and I cannot work out the answers - so I was asking whether there is a guide of some kind.
Maybe WFD is VERY limited in the ability to create some types of displays and I will need to create work-around solutions such as by hiding some items with black shapes until it is time to show them…
In any case, thank you both for trying to help and I hope I have made my questions a little more clear.

And yes @Gazman I do have xml editing tools - I use Microsoft VSCode regularly (I am a coder
usually working with HTML/JavaScript/PHP/MySQL) and am quite comfortable looking through xml files when required. This has not helped much understanding the output from WFD so far!

Thanks for your help in any case

Julian

Okay . If you look at the .xml file i posted it shows in a very basic way how to use jpegs for animation using the clock " seconds " . As for 24hr you need to install " universal launcher " which you will find in this forum .

Ok thanks - will have a look. I am guessing the seconds function causes the display of a different image each second … just guessing! Will have a look and work through your file.
It sounds as if I may be able to simulate a 24hr clock using images and hiding things - a bit of a fiddle but it might be fun to see what can be done. Likewise the hiding of the initial zero for hours less than 10.
By the way, is the use of a step counter in the watch face required in order for the watch to register steps and display them in my step count on my LEM15? Ever since uploading my VERY SIMPLE digital display last night (hours minutes, date, battery % and a touch point to launch Watch Droid) the watch has not registered today’s steps. Maybe it requires a reboot, but maybe it has something to do with the simple watch face.
Cheers
Julian

It appears I am walking down the wrong path. I will re-set the GPS. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes . You are correct . Step count can be recorded with and without a clockskin

Thanks

Hello there. Just need to ask something. You said you are not into photoshop thats why you designed this software. Can you help me understand this better? I mean with photoshop I can design various elements. But how can I get it to animate and also make the watch functions work as we want and how to save them in the file format supported by the android watches? Am trying to understand the whole scene here. As am a designer by profession I want to get the basics of face design.

Here is a video about how to use it:
-From Zero to Finished WatchFace - YouTube

2 Likes

you can use WatchFaceDesigner even if you make the graphics in Photoshop, or you can use ClockSkinMaker if you prefer

3 Likes