TWRP and ROOT for LEMFO LEM8 WITH OTA V1.4 UPDATE

NOTE: You do this at your own risk and I will not be held responsible if something goes wrong

WARNING: YOU MAY BRICK YOUR WATCH

Knowledge: A knowledge of how to use the SP Flash Tool, install apps and follow instructions is mandatory. You also should be familiar with the use of ADB and sideloading apps from your PC to your phone.

I previously extracted the V1.4 OTA update ROM (posted elsewhere on this site) and obtained the boot.img and recovery.img files and modded them to get root from the boot.img and TWRP from the recovery.img.

I rooted the boot.img using the Magisk Manager model on an Android mobile phone (you can actually see what you need to do on a mobile phone)

I ported TWRP with the V1.3 TWRP recovery.img (posted elsewhere on this site) that I, in turn, had ported from a LEMX TWRP that was created by iscle. I used Carliv’s Android Image Kitchen for Windows to port

Both TWRP and root are working on my LEM8 without problem.

NOTE: If you have V1.2 or 1.3 that are rooted and/or have TWRP, then you can simply update to V1.4 by flashing the V1.4 system.img from Lem8 V1.4 System.img folder in the download below.

You do not lose root, apps, data, settings etc., but the security patch and kernel are not updated.

I have uploaded the following files and folders to Mega:
Folders –
Apps – Contains RootCheck, Reboot and Magisk Manager
Lem8 V1.4 System.img – Contains V1.4 system.img
Modded IMGs – contains the rooted boot.img and the ported TWRP recovery.img
Original IMGs – Contains the original V1.4 boot.img and recovery.img from the extracted V1.4 update
SP Flash Tool – Contains the SP Flash Tool
Files – MT6739_Android_scatter.txt for SP Flash Tool

The download is given below.

Procedure

• Download and unzip the Mega file given below.
• Sideload and install the three apps – ensure USB Debugging is on, the USB is set to transfer files and you are connected to the Internet
• Open the SP Flash Tool and load MT6739_Android_scatter.txt from the down load
• Click on the right-hand cell of the recovery line and navigate to the Modded IMGs folder and select and load recovery.img
• Do the same for the boot line
• Ensure that only the recovery and boot lines have ticks in front of them
• Click on the download button
• Turn off your watch
• With the watch charging plate NOT connected to you PC, securely mount you watch ont0 the charging plate
• Plug the charging plate into your PC
• A note will sound and a red bar and two yellow bars will flash across the bottom of the screen
• A big tick will appear if successful
• Unplug your watch and restart it
• When restarted, open Magisk Manager to finalise root and follow the onscreen instructions, a message will come up requesting Superuser permission. Accept and you have root.
• Check root with the root checker apk
• Open the reboot apk and boot into recovery to get TWRP.

You can elect to install either or both TWRP and root.

If you only install TWRP, then you need to use the adb command to get TWRP

“adb reboot recovery “

You can go back to the stock V1.4 by flashing the recovery.img and/or boot.img found in the Original IMGs folder.

Enjoy!!

Download:

mega.nz/#!VPBR3aoD!NLjSsaipsf7j9g_p2xZj6Sh0atHyPiolu4IBLiThGfo

1 Like
Apr 7, 2019 1:00:34 GMT 2 enviro8 said:
NOTE: You do this at your own risk and I will not be held responsible if something goes wrong

WARNING: YOU MAY BRICK YOUR WATCH

Knowledge: A knowledge of how to use the SP Flash Tool, install apps and follow instructions is mandatory. You also should be familiar with the use of ADB and sideloading apps from your PC to your phone.

I previously extracted the V1.4 OTA update ROM (posted elsewhere on this site) and obtained the boot.img and recovery.img files and modded them to get root from the boot.img and TWRP from the recovery.img.

I rooted the boot.img using the Magisk Manager model on an Android mobile phone (you can actually see what you need to do on a mobile phone)

I ported TWRP with the V1.3 TWRP recovery.img (posted elsewhere on this site) that I, in turn, had ported from a LEMX TWRP that was created by iscle. I used Carliv’s Android Image Kitchen for Windows to port

Both TWRP and root are working on my LEM8 without problem.

NOTE: If you have V1.2 or 1.3 that are rooted and/or have TWRP, then you can simply update to V1.4 by flashing the V1.4 system.img from Lem8 V1.4 System.img folder in the download below.

You do not lose root, apps, data, settings etc., but the security patch and kernel are not updated.

I have uploaded the following files and folders to Mega:
Folders –
Apps – Contains RootCheck, Reboot and Magisk Manager
Lem8 V1.4 System.img – Contains V1.4 system.img
Modded IMGs – contains the rooted boot.img and the ported TWRP recovery.img
Original IMGs – Contains the original V1.4 boot.img and recovery.img from the extracted V1.4 update
SP Flash Tool – Contains the SP Flash Tool
Files – MT6739_Android_scatter.txt for SP Flash Tool

The download is given below.

Procedure

• Download and unzip the Mega file given below.
• Sideload and install the three apps – ensure USB Debugging is on, the USB is set to transfer files and you are connected to the Internet
• Open the SP Flash Tool and load MT6739_Android_scatter.txt from the down load
• Click on the right-hand cell of the recovery line and navigate to the Modded IMGs folder and select and load recovery.img
• Do the same for the boot line
• Ensure that only the recovery and boot lines have ticks in front of them
• Click on the download button
• Turn off your watch
• With the watch charging plate NOT connected to you PC, securely mount you watch ont0 the charging plate
• Plug the charging plate into your PC
• A note will sound and a red bar and two yellow bars will flash across the bottom of the screen
• A big tick will appear if successful
• Unplug your watch and restart it
• When restarted, open Magisk Manager to finalise root and follow the onscreen instructions, a message will come up requesting Superuser permission. Accept and you have root.
• Check root with the root checker apk
• Open the reboot apk and boot into recovery to get TWRP.

You can elect to install either or both TWRP and root.

If you only install TWRP, then you need to use the adb command to get TWRP

“adb reboot recovery “

You can go back to the stock V1.4 by flashing the recovery.img and/or boot.img found in the Original IMGs folder.

Enjoy!!

Download:

mega.nz/#!VPBR3aoD!NLjSsaipsf7j9g_p2xZj6Sh0atHyPiolu4IBLiThGfo

I haven’t rooted any of my watches yet:/ so…
I will try this week and upload a video using your guide:)

2 Likes

Is this rooting method for Lem8 and LemX the same for Lem9? Would you know?

Thanks

you can most likely use the same method, but I wouldn’t use the same files

If the LEM9 has a MT6739 chip, you could port TWRP from the one in my post.

If it is not, then you need to find a TWRP from a watch with the same chip and port it from there

You would need to use Boot.img from the LEM9 and Magisk Manager to root it as per my method.

Apr 19, 2019 22:09:36 GMT enviro8 said:
If the LEM9 has a MT6739 chip, you could port TWRP from the one in my post.

If it is not, then you need to find a TWRP from a watch with the same chip and port it from there

You would need to use Boot.img from the LEM9 and Magisk Manager to root it as per my method.

Hi Enviro8

The LEM9 is MT6739, so I should be able to port TWRP from the one you mentioned in your post.

I’m a little confuse about the Boot.img from the Lem9? It’s been awhile since I rooted about half a year, so a little rusty. Is there a place I need to go to download the boot.img for the Lem9?

I know how to root Magisk Manager from there, just not sure about the boot.img part.

Thanks

If you cannot find a downloadable stock ROM for the LEM9, then you will need to extract and dump the ROM from your watch using WWR-MTK tool and SP FLASH TOOL.

This will give you all the ROM partitions including boot.img and recovery.img for rooting and TWRP respectively.

Basically you switch between the two programs to generate a ROM and scatter text file.

Hovateck has a series of manuals with explanations and screen shots to guide you through the process

I found that you need carefully follow the main manual (and sub manuals) given @ forum.hovatek.com/thread-21970.html

NOTES:

BUT IF YOU ALL YOU SEE IS A DRAM FLIP TEST DO NOT PROCEED but use the following method to make a full ROM dump @https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-22701.html

• at Steps 21 & 22 select preloader.bin instead of ROM_0 as at a previous stage you have changed the ROM_0 from EMMC_BOOT_1 to EMMC_USER and it will not work

I have a Kospet vision which has a 6739 cpu, I saw in a post from Pablo that the root process is the same for most devices running the same cpu.
Would obtaining root be a case of just following the same guide you have pointed too here?

With phones I’ve always flashed pre rooted roms but this watch is so new that I’ve not even seen another forum member mention they have one let alone a pre rooted rom being avaliable to flash ha ha.

Yes, once you extract the boot.img from the watch you can use the Magisk Manager method to gain root.

If it fails, you can reflash the extracted ROM. Better still is to use an official update if your watch has one and extract boot.img from it.

The method I worked out is based on the 6739 cpu.

Good Luck

Thankyou i will get busy gathering the required software and extract the rom, there is no official rom available yet as far as i know but i will check again.

EDIT: definitely no official rom yet :frowning:
If you dump the rom does it dump everything? Is a hard reset needed to avoid everything else being dumped or does it only extract the firmware?

it dumps everything, but your personal data are on their own partitions and will so be extracted to their own images if you choose to extract them from the dump.