Rooting Kospet Hope

Alright, i did it, seems to have worked. Have root access now.

Back to the original purpose for this. The gps.conf. Looking into the file it appears only to affect the agps. And doesn’t really have much to do with the normal GPS’s ability to lock on faster. Oh well.

What was weird, i don’t even have a gps.confg in my system/etc folder to begin with.

It’s in the NVRAM folder in Android 7 onward I think. I’d have to check
PS - thanks @iscle :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have an NVRAM

When i goto root/Data/NVRAM
It shortcuts me to /NVDATA
Which i’m guessing is the same thing.

I made a copy of the gps.conf into that folder too. Shouldn’t have any negative effects to have a copy of that file there.

Hi,
first, a huge thanks to all participants here, I successfully rooted and changed recovery some days ago, using patched boot and recovery provided here.
Unfortunately, I initially misunderstood “download” procedure, so I downgraded from Hope_B_20190320 to Hope_B_20190305 (obviously, I wanted to get a dump, not a flash). Now all works ok, but the Hope has the old firmware, and no new firmware appears searching for OTA.
So, could someone provide a dump/readback of 20190320 firmware?
Thanks again.

Hi, here you go:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rO2tINDJbLz8A_r5XN81GAAo7o7VkDWL?usp=sharing

/JockyW

1 Like

The recovery i flashed to my Kospet Hope, was that the TWRP Recovery? And if so, how would i go about accessing the TWRP Recovery menu?
My phone for example is Volume Up + Home + Power… No clue about the watch.

I want to try installing YouTube Vanced.

If you flashed a custom recovery to your hope, then it most likely was twrp. As far as i know you will only find twrp in this community, you won’t find cwm or anyithing else. To boot into twrp you will have to use adb, just issue the command “adb reboot recovery”

1 Like

Hi everyone - wondering if anyone has successfully rooted Kospet Hope wirelessly? I found this link on the XDA forums - can anyone confirm if this works for Kospet Hope?

1 Like

It wouldn’t work, and the files aren’t even available anymore

1 Like

Yes this would not be appropriate anymore but the TWRP recovery and patched boot images are here and you can root by flashing with the SP flash tool.
No problem.

1 Like

thanks Pablo. I have unfortunately ruined my connector for data cable use somehow. may be overuse? and the data cable which I recently bought new doesn’t even work with it (after working only the first few times) I don’t even think alcohol can resolve the connectors. unless I manually link up some wires between the watch and charger my only option is to wirelessly adb to my Hope

I will have a look at mine and see what I can do.
It does sound pretty grim though :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Good news! I successfully rooted using bootless root method (temp root) so now just working out modding that always on time latency…

For some reason Temp root doesn’t give me access to modifying system files despite folder permissions being RW… I have even tried to install wifiadb but cannot gain access to the watch that way. it seems temproot somehow blocks access to the watch. ftp on es file explorer no longer works when I am in root mode as well, any ideas with this?

You still need Su deamon running and busybox installed.
So you can use SuperSU and install Busybox I guess.

Hi Pablo, It’s been nearly 2 months… i kinda gave up. Then I had an interesting idea.
Do these watches run on a micro sd? Is it possible to remove that and open it up, adjust the system files and then re install then turn the watch back on? Curious

no, the emmc memory is soldered onto the mainboard. But, one other thing: did you use the 32 or 64 bit version of the files for rooting? I think it should be the 32 bit ones

hi mate. yeah i did that. i rooted successfully no problems. but then i was following a users directions to try to re install the fixed aod watch face. i ran all the commands from within terminal emulator on the watch as my data cable connection no longer works. end result? i can no longer wirelessly connect to my watch for anything. i used to be able to set an ftp and connect to it from my laptop or other devices and that no longer works. i dont know if i caused it with the terminal commands or if it was just because i rooted the watch
also for some reason when i tried to install busybox it wouldnt install. even though i did successfully temp root. i can get to system files in es explorer but i just cannot for the life of me replace any files there or anything. i did get a prompt to grant es explorer su permissions which i accepted but still no dice. did you have any success on any of the above while rooted? care to test?

I am really curious about why you can’t connect to the watch with USB and flash the twrp and patched boot image?

hi pablo tks for answering. i did explain earlier. i have either a damaged data cable or damaged connectors - essentially. i struggle to blame the data cable as i bought a new one which worked twice and then stopped.
i have tried the alcohol on the connecting parts both cable and watch. no joy