Preferred/recommended settings for Prime

Hi Kadeshar,

Thanks for chipping in :+1:
I was under the impression that the watch will do like a phone, thus while in WiFi coverage switch off mobile data. Since I use a limited subscription of 1GB/month for the watch, and I live in an area with very limited mobile signal indoors, I would like my main connectivity at home to be via WiFi. I guess I could switch off mobile data then, but then I would have to remember to switch it on when leaving home - guess that will fail very often. And actually very comforting to see that WiFi took only 1% of the power, so Bluetooth is a much more obvious place to look.

I was using WiiWatch2, and the stats above must be including usage with this. Yesterday I switched to Watch Droid, and I do see how it is way superior to WiiWatch, but it was a good process to see WiiWatch2 first, to know good the difference between them.

Looks like stats after this nights charge, with watch off, is better, around 8% pr hour, so at least there is a chance of 10 hours or more usage today, and hope for more with some tuning tips from the community.

I repeatedly see the Google Sync tip, and I think I need to try that, only not sure what exactly to switch off, and how to sync manually when needed. I installed the settings search yesterday, so I am prepared now, when I get instructions. I was looking around in there yesterday and saw some ‘last sync times’ for different apps, and they were hours back, so sync doesn’t seem to be aggressively updating by the minute or hour. I haven’t installed Google mail, only Calendar synced. But it looked like I had location Sharing enabled, which I have on my phone, so probably a result of Google syncing my account settings. Wonder if I switch that off, if it will go off on both devices or only the watch - only one way to find out I guess …

Regarding the gesture controlled screen on, I wouldn’t mind switching that off and need to use the button, only I read in the forum of people limiting their button use, because of problems with buttons on previous models.

1 Like

I have:

• SIM active
  • WiFi active
  • Bluetooth active
  • Screen on by gesture
  • GPS enabled

For me, I have:
Sim Active
Wifi INACTIVE unless needed
Blietooth INACTIVE until needed (this is a major battery user)
Screen on by gesture in INACTIVE (too many false positives)
GPS INACTIVE (I let location work off cell signal)

I get an avg of 36 hrs of battery life (limited usage)

Hi Good4Life,

Ouch, you have switched off almost all connectivity, incl. notifications from the Phone. But I guess you can live with only connected through Mobile data, which I recognize is a good thing when wanting to save power. I myself live with very Limited mobile connectivity indoors, and data even worse, so I need WiFi to be connected.
The Bluetooth power percentage in mind, I also would like to do that one off, but I really like to keep my phone silent and get notifications on my wrist with a discrete vibration (by the way, for the size of the Prime, I am disappointed about the very low vibration strength).

Hmm, so there really is only the hard way of disabling hardware options, and then the Google sync I need to understand how to switch off.

To deactivate Google sync, open Play Store, settings, app sync. Disable autosync.

2 Likes

Yes my use case is to use the watch as a stand alone device. I am fortunate that I have 1-2 bars of service at home which is just enough depending on which room I’m in. Mobile data is not a biggy for me as when I’m home I use a laptop or tablet or phone. Plenty of devices at home that I don’t like to carry around with me when I’m out and about.

Thanks, done that now. Thought it was more extensive, like disabling all Google sync, incl. e.g. email, calendar and what ever services they have running on the watch.

Guys, have anyone tried to go from 4G to 3G signal, in order to save battery? I use my watch with sim and data enabled and it consumes about 6-8% battery per hour, with light use.All the other features are turned off (wifi, gps, bt, gesture detection). I though of this as i was navigating to the network options…It even gives the option to turn to 2G, but it would be really slow. I think 3G is the sweet spot, for someone who wants to make and answer calls and see notifications from fb messenger or viber. Defenately not suitable for youtube videos, but who really does watch youtube videos on his smartwatch? What are your thoughts about this? I have turned my watch to 3G for about an hour with sim and data and it has lost only 2% battery.

1 Like

Hi . I always switch to 3g for better battery on all watches . Also doesnt get so hot when wifi is on :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe that’s a silly question, but have you ever had problems with signal?

No never . All good

1 Like

I have been wondering - I am pretty sure my phone(s) turn off mobile data when I have WiFi coverage - doesn’t the watch do this ? Now and then when I have checked it says 3G (those seldom times it’s connected here in my home), even though I have WiFi on…

How do you switch from 4G to 3G?

Under settings , connection , cellular - change default 4g to 3g

2 Likes

Ya, I did that. Thank you, but it seems it doesn’t work. (Optimus Pro 7.1.1 UL )
I chose 3G as preferred network type and unchecked the box for 4G LTE mode. I get only a couple of bars on antenna icon and no telephone or internet data. Maybe I have to get off my ass and go outside.

I wonder if I would need to enter a new APN. The default I am using is titled as T-Mobile US LTE.

Stats today after 7h on:
56% power left
Usage stats:
36% cell standby
6% screen (not much usage today)
1% Bluetooth
1% WiFi

Hard to see how I should reach even one full days usage, as cellstandby alone seems to use 5% pr hour, consuming all power in 19h or 87% for my full day of 17 awake hours - little power left for other tasks like screen, WiFi, Bluetooth etc…

Strange . Never had this issue ?

I know, right? No worries, I’ll keep fiddling with it. Thank you again!

1 Like

Got it! LOL I had to go outside. It put me on a 2G network and phone/messaging worked fine!

1 Like

I tried 3G today…Sim and data enabled and moderate use for 13 hours and i still have 49% :grinning: My watch would have turned off, if i had 4G.

2 Likes