Optimus 2 Official support Thread - Updated 26/06/21

@Ted … are you a bomb disposal technician? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :smiley: :rofl:

2 Likes

daredevils by comparison, i was an accountant !

3 Likes

Even more explosive! :grinning:

I have a question on enabling/disabling gps. On android 7.1.1 there is an gps icon on the same screen that is used for enabling wifi, airplane mode, bluetooth, etc. That icon is missing on android 10.7. In the fitness app, you can enable location. I assume gps is automatically enabled in the map app and other apps. So if gps enabled by the app and the app is closed, does that stop gps from running in the background and draining the battery. Or is there a general control to enable gps or verify if it is running. It seemed to be a lot easier in 7.1.1.

If you go into apps in settings you will see what apps do and dont have permission to use gps . As for apps running in the background this is possible so they dont sleep . Look at the firsf posts of the offiicial prime S thread and i have explained how to do tbis .

try settings/location/on for independently controlling it

can’t speak for the fitness apps, all frozen on my device, but using google maps, it appears if you accept their prompt to turn location on it doesn’t automatically close when you exit the maps app

i’m on the stock firmware, can’t speak for the FAW stuff

How to freeze stock fitness apps?

i do it with the android debug bridge ADB, if your comfortable using flashing tools you’ll find ADB a breeze, very powerful and it does open up a whole new world of being able to fiddle with your device !

here’s a decent guide to getting started: https://www.xda-developers.com/disable-system-app-bloatware-android/

once your up and running, ‘list’ the packages on your device, use a search term like ‘wiite’ to narrow them down, you should see the fitness apps no problem, if your unsure i’ll post a list of the ones i’ve frozen so you can replicate in safety, let me know

1 Like

Thanks @Ted!. Will go through all that and figure out. I have never did any flashing and don’t have any experience here. Hope that’s safe and will not break my OP2 (has stock firmware).

It’s safe because it doesn’t make any permanent changes.
If you factory reset everything will be back to how it was before you started.

1 Like

That’s relaxing!

it’s safe to disable apps, by and large, unless you pick the wrong ones, in principle their easily re-enabled, but you can do much more with ADB than that

the thing is it’s all command line driven, so you never find yourself hovering over whether to press a button or not, you have to be more deliberately daft to mess up !

1 Like

Battery saver can be enabled in two different places: settings>>battery>>battery saver and in optimization>>clean task>>battery saver. Setting it on in one place doesn’t seem to set it in the other. I understand the clean task usage but do not understand the use in settings>>battery. Do they have different functions?

The “clean task” operates by killing the activity as soon as you leave the screen.
It is an extreme function to prevent apps running in the background.
An unfortunate side effect of using this function is that it can effect other apps unintentionally.
It is not a feature that should be used lightly.
It is a variation of the option in “developer options” which allows you to adjust the number of running processes.

The power saving option in the battery / power option is similar to using the “lite mode” split launcher.
It is the regular method of using power saving.

1 Like

It is not possible.
It’s already at maximum lux - brightness when you use the brightness control to set it to full.
The screen is the same as all the other 1.6" screens.
I find that using a very bright watch face for outdoors and another for low light situations is the best way to go.

1 Like

You sould try a watchface with contrast between the backround and the numbers of the time.
It works for me. If you do excercise outside in the sun, you should put your fitness app in the night mode… I use Myrunningapp and at least i can see the km and the time spent.

1 Like

Is there a means to pre-write and store custom “quick-replies” in the messages app?

@anon5802783 … cheers.

Hi, I have an Optimus 2 too: how do you manage to use WhatsApp? I don’t receive notifications if the smartwatch is in stand-by mode, and only if I launch WhatsApp every time, and it’s impossible to send text messages because I can not press the “send” button. It is also impossible to create new WhatsApp message because it’s impossible to press the button to start new chat. Please help!

Press and hold the power button to enter the power off menu. Then switch to square mode.

1 Like