KW88 Battery Life

I have been getting very bad battery life since I had my KW88 2 weeks ago. The watch will not last more than 7.5hrs.

I tried turning on flight mode, but there was no significant improvements.

I was so disappointed that I decided to order the newly released finow X3+ to see if it was better.

Three days ago I came across another battery problem thread. I decided to give it a try.

Following recommendations by +Tony Bunn and also turning off the show time on wrists movement, I managed to get more than 16hrs of battery life.

The battery improvement could solely be attributed to disabling wrist movement monitoring. Can someone please try it and report the battery life, before running any of the battery calibration apps.

And now with the new found way to add custom watchface to the kw88, I am really starting to love this watch.

The X3+ looks good and feels very well built, but it’s very very heavy compared to the KW88. Will need more time to check out the battery life on the X3+.

Here’s the post by Tony

All, I have had some success improving my battery situation with the KW88.

There are two apps in the play store that work without ‘rooting’. First I ran: Repair Battery Life PRO which is free.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toolsstudio.batterymaximizer

This scanned and found a lot of low cells and quite a few inactive within the battery. I then selected repair, the app then (apparently) ‘fixes’ the reported discrepancies and when retested reports all healthy.

Then I ran the second app: Advanced Battery Calibrator, also free:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newagetools.batcalibra

This seems to reset the charge memory in the battery. You then have to switch off the watch and recharge until 100% before switching on.

After this the watch ran all night (radios off) and only depleted to 97% by the morning and then ran all day with wifi on for an hour and then sim enabled for 4 hours. It then shut down by 17:00 - I didn’t see a transition to battery saver mode as I was busy with work and didn’t see the % state before it shut down.

However, in summary, I got a lot more life than previously. To be honest I was half suspecting these apps to be either ‘snake-oil’ or exaggerating their efficacy, but it seemed to make an improvement for me. Hopefully this might help others too. Tony )

Since the firmware upgrade my battery life very good! Last night i charged it to 99% morning it was 97% now 19:00 and the indicator show 55%. I use it with SIM always, no flight mode. I was a 19 sec call today and i tried the gps it’s about 5 min. I installed two photo app and tried it it’s about 20min.BT always on. It’s not a hard use ofcourse,but much better then before upgrade.

Sept 12, 2016 18:06:10 GMT 1 janek said:
Since the firmware upgrade my battery life very good! Last night i charged it to 99% morning it was 97% now 19:00 and the indicator show 55%. I use it with SIM always, no flight mode. I was a 19 sec call today and i tried the gps it's about 5 min. I installed two photo app and tried it it's about 20min.BT always on. It's not a hard use ofcourse,but much better then before upgrade.

Sounds good. How did you receive the update? OTA still says not registered for me.

Sept 13, 2016 11:45:15 GMT 1 harald said:
Sept 12, 2016 18:06:10 GMT 1 janek said:
Since the firmware upgrade my battery life very good! Last night i charged it to 99% morning it was 97% now 19:00 and the indicator show 55%. I use it with SIM always, no flight mode. I was a 19 sec call today and i tried the gps it's about 5 min. I installed two photo app and tried it it's about 20min.BT always on. It's not a hard use ofcourse,but much better then before upgrade.

Sounds good. How did you receive the update? OTA still says not registered for me.

2 days ago i recived a message on notification screen from new update and i accept it. The new version's date is 2016.09.03. What is your firmware date?

Do we need the sim card to be installed to receive the update?

I am still on the July FW. Checking everyday, still no update.

I tried enabling the wrist motion detect to display time. It seems that is the major battery sucker on my watch.

exactly the same over here …

I’ve found that wifi can really kill the battery if the watch is hunting for the signal(moving around an office).

Also, not responding to a notification quickly - somehow leaves the watch in a more active mode and it doesn’t go back to a deep sleep - kills battery in an hour or two, compared with all day.

Step counter doesn’t seem to make too much difference. Getting from 06.00 to gone midgnight with battery at 40% or better. Sim always on, no Bluetooth, wifi or data.

I have my KW 88 now for 5 days and at the beginning I was really happy with the performance, BUT:

even when switching off GPS and DATA the battery life is abyssmal … :crying: and it seems to be a core-problem: yesterday I diconnected from charger at 8am and had still 75% battery at 5 pm …

“Fine”, I thought, “I can live with switching on DATA and GPS only when I really need it”, but once again when checking time one hour later (6pm) I had to find out, that the watch turned off meanwhile because of no juice ( I changed nothing in the settings).

And this behaviour was replicable every day since I got it 5 days ago: Battery goes down to approx. 50% (sometimes after 2hrs, sometimes after 3 hours, after the last update yesterday after 8 hours), You think You are still fine, but then after some 30 minutes later You have to find out it switched off because of no juice (showing 1% when connected to the charger).

There are two possible explanations:

1. battery is faulty

OR

1. battery/charge-state screen shows wrong values

As advised by first post here I checked battery cells, but only 20 cells were diagnosed as low, none as defective …

I´ll give the procedure of post 1 now a try, let´s see

Im returning mine.
Between the abysmal battery life, the “4gb” = 1.69GB, and no ability whatsoever to increase the memory internally on my own, it’s too much for too little for me. Shame though, because the amoled screen is really beautiful.

Tried the procedure as described by rsk01 in first post and it worked for one day.

I was happy and I thought: now my KW88 works similar to my old (and battery - broken and fully charge-contact-corrosion after 2,5 years) Gear S.

Yesterday I left home at 6am, battery consumption until nine was down to 66% (Data, WLAN and GPS OFF, screen birghtness: LOW) and when 30 minutes later I wanted to check the time I found that KW88 switched off again.

Now I am finally totally fed up with this Smartwatch and I send it back …

I turn mine on fully charged at 0700 and put it into flight mode. I periodically check the time throughout the day and turn it off at 2200. I can repeat this for up to 3 days. I’m impressed!

Oct 12, 2016 8:15:04 GMT 1 angelo said:
Tried the procedure as described by rsk01 in first post and it worked for one day.

I was happy and I thought: now my KW88 works similar to my old (and battery - broken and fully charge-contact-corrosion after 2,5 years) Gear S.

Yesterday I left home at 6am, battery consumption until nine was down to 66% (Data, WLAN and GPS OFF, screen birghtness: LOW) and when 30 minutes later I wanted to check the time I found that KW88 switched off again.

Now I am finally totally fed up with this Smartwatch and I send it back …

Same here.
Periodically check of battery gives me constant drop - however when reaching 30% the watch turns off because of empty battery!
I will return the watch since it does have everything on board but NOTHING works reliable!!
Sorry, but the KW88 is just another China junk and waste of money!!

I do wonder if this issue is a culprit for poor battery life on some KW88 watches:

www.androidheadlines.com/2016/06/android-os-bug-causes-battery-life-issues-via-wakelock.html

I believe this is an issue in Android 5 and 6

Oct 11, 2016 7:15:44 GMT 1 multiboy2k said:
Im returning mine. Between the abysmal battery life, the "4gb" = 1.69GB, and no ability whatsoever to increase the memory internally on my own, it's too much for too little for me. Shame though, because the amoled screen is really beautiful.

Yo need calibrar baterry its easy my baterry is good

It’s been awhile since this thread was last updated. Am planning to get kw88 pretty soon. How’s the battery life nowdays? with the latest firmware update and all… Plan to use this with bluetooth on for tethering (although i know that tethering doesn’t work as well as standalone).

What do you think about battery life with newer firmwares.
With 20160903 FW i was 3 days battery life with light use. GMS only 2G,WIFI OFF BT ON.
With newer firmwares max. 20170112 FW: 100 to 72% 1 hour GSM stanby.
I’m planning to roll back to 20160903

Nov 23, 2016 10:01:24 GMT 1 plateau said:
It's been awhile since this thread was last updated. Am planning to get kw88 pretty soon. How's the battery life nowdays? with the latest firmware update and all... Plan to use this with bluetooth on for tethering (although i know that tethering doesn't work as well as standalone).

With last firmware 20170117 my was very good. From 8h00 to 23h00 batery was about 70%, with:
  • BT on and sync with smartphone to notifying me all apps (email, watsapp, youtube, viber, etc…)
  • pedometer on
  • acelerometer on when move wrist to view time
  • and some minor activity

So, I battery last about 2 days

Jan 24, 2017 23:43:34 GMT 1 calom said:
Nov 23, 2016 10:01:24 GMT 1 plateau said:
It's been awhile since this thread was last updated. Am planning to get kw88 pretty soon. How's the battery life nowdays? with the latest firmware update and all... Plan to use this with bluetooth on for tethering (although i know that tethering doesn't work as well as standalone).

With last firmware 20170117 my was very good. From 8h00 to 23h00 batery was about 70%, with:
  • BT on and sync with smartphone to notifying me all apps (email, watsapp, youtube, viber, etc…)
  • pedometer on
  • acelerometer on when move wrist to view time
  • and some minor activity

So, I battery last about 2 days

I think,the battery indicator not perfect. In 1st hour drop down to 72% and after 14hours it's still 72%. Maybe i need a battery calibration.

Yes, battery meter is not perfect indeed
But I must do one correction… Last 70% at 23h00 with move wrist is Off.
If move wrist is on at 23h00 battery is only about 30%. So acelerometer drain battery!.. And is Just to use one Day of use.
Anyway I charge my kw88 every night on desk cradle charger I made…

Stay there all night.

Hey guys,

I did this Akku calibration yesterday. Since fully charging I’m testing now.
With the similar lemfo les1 like kw88.

I have insert a SIM and have GSM 3G on.
Bluetooth, GPS wlan and mobile data are off.

Wrist activate is of too.

I closed all Backround Apps and did a cleaning.

I turned on my watch at 9 o’clock with 100 %.
Now it is 11 o’clock and Akku shows 100%

I don’t now yet, what the watch is doing at 20 % (before I did calibration it often shut down by 20 %)

I copy this text to lemfo les1 "energy saving -----"too and will write my experiences there.