Kospet Prime 2 Official support UPDATED!

Yes there are things to be careful in Developer options. Article sounds like good advice and I’ll add one thing. On the Prime 2 it is easy when scrolling through the options to accidentally turn an item on or off. Be careful of that. For a brief time my screen was giving brief flashes. Fortunately I knew that meant I probably turned on an item in Developer options that causes this.

Probably the most common used items in there are for USB Debugging - needed for ADB and fastboot functions. Also some prefer faster screen changes as can be done by reducing the animation scale from 1.0 to a lesser value which makes things appear quicker although a bit more choppy.

1 Like

By the way, use the real mac address because the default is to use the fake one.
See if it makes any difference

Hello guys,
Is there any update yet about using the camera in 13mp instrad if 8?

1 Like

I will update you when it is finished.
Ok?
@Mad_Darsh it will be very soon.

1 Like

I was getting the Prime 2 ready to return (engineering sample) when I decided to make one last ditch effort to get the APN settings changed. I recalled I had a Textnow SIM via Sprint (totally free phone service and texting if you are in a Sprint area) which I put into the Prime 2 (no Sprint service is available at my location) but I was able to add the correct APN settings in the watch while on that SIM while it was in the Prime 2. I then removed the SIM card while the watch was on (not recommended but it worked) and put in the Tracfone SIM which then showed the ATT nxtgenphone AND the Straight Talk (tracfone) APN settings which I can now edit.
Initially I saw 1.8 Megabyte of Mobile data being used. Excited briefly … but I still can’t seem to get Internet on Mobile data. And yet it showed 1.8 Mb and then shortly after that 2.4 Mb Mobile data use. Why won’t a browser get Mobile data or the Weather App ?

In a bit more fiddling it now says 37 Megabyte Mobile data used but still can’t get Internet. ??

WOOHOO - got Mobile Data WORKING!!! Finally! I had one letter wrong in the APN settings after the tricky SIM swap (had an S instead of an A due to big fingers on small keyboard).

Even put in another SIM which previously I could not edit and could not get Mobile data on and it already had the new APN settings. So apparently a SIM card is allowed to give APN settings to the phone which it keeps once they are set.

5 Likes

I tried this on the 2nd Prime 2 duplicating the same procedure but it wasn’t working oddly. However I eventually got it. For a long while I couldn’t even open the APN settings to see anything. I added a Google account thinking that might have something to do with it (a likely desperate idea :smile: ) and that didn’t do it but kept turning things on and off and rebooting and at some point I finally got in on the 2nd Prime 2 to edit the APN. So if anyone else runs into this situation just keep trying and you’ll likely get it. I wish I could say what it was that finally allowed the editing on the 2nd one but I was hammering away at the situation for a good hour knowing that it worked on the other one but I don’t know exactly what finally opened up the APN editing. If it had been that difficult on the first one I probably would have thought it to not be possible and given up so I got lucky. :relieved:

3 Likes

To answer my own question about best backup solutions for watches that don’t yet have root / TWRP I found an app called “MyBackup Pro” by rerware that seems to work quite well and is fairly simple although in the options there are a lot of choices.

It seems to backup system settings as well as apps you’ve added along with the app data. While I’ve only done a backup so far and have not done a restore this app seems to have been around a long while with many accolades and has it’s own website as well as being on the Play store: https://www.rerware.com/Android-Backup/

1 Like

Would love to hear if the restore works seamlessly for you @droidtrix. I regularly use App Backup & Restore for backing up the installed apps as well as their incremental updates so I can go back a generation or two if need be. Plus, I get all the apks that way for side loading in other watches. But it doesn’t do much for backing up app data and system settings. If it’s like a super-set of what I’m already using that would be great. Nice to know if it restores all your installed custom and server downloaded watch faces as well.

Only TWRP will work as far as I know because of the encryption in A10.
We will have to see how this pans out…

Having said that, this particular app uses the Google api for A10 so who knows?

Maybe worth it if you can afford it.

We will release TWRP and patched boot image once people have got used to the new OS…
Just because there are so many restrictions and differences to the usual A7.1.1 watches

1 Like

As @SmartWatch_Ticks said would love to know if this restores exactly what it says

It’s been around for a long time.
It might be ok…
There are a couple like this but without root (not system - less) I don’t know if how they will behave to be honest

1 Like

Super late here but I’ll let you know tomorrow how it goes for a restore. It can also restore to another device although I think it needs to be the same OS version and possibly same hardware for system settings to restore properly.

Do look forward to having all inclusive TWRP though if that is ever possible on Android 10 - that would be awesome.

1 Like

Check your PM’s.
Before you have a heart attack :joy:

1 Like

The Prime 2 looks very impressive. Thank you for thinking of us that enjoys developing. Is their any plans of it being sold in the U.S. like on Amazon?

Since I still have a 2nd Prime 2 that had been factory reset to return it I used it as a test to see if the backup from the other Prime 2 would restore Apps, data and settings to it. I believe it did quite well. I had intentionally set the screen timeout to 15 seconds on the one being restored. When the restore was done it was 30 seconds as I have on the other Prime 2 so I’m guessing it got most or all system settings restored correctly. It installed apps I had from the backup also onto the other Prime 2. I did notice the ‘Night light’ setting which turns the screen more warm (amber?) seemed to have been missed in the restore though.
It does not backup or restore clockskins. But I use Total Commander on my Windows computer which makes it quick and easy to copy them back to the watch. I also use the Android version of Total Commander on the watch. Great program and App from Ghisler that has been around for at least 20 years - Android version not as long but many years.
I still look forward to trying TWRP as it sounds like pablo11 has that amazing feat whipped :smile:

3 Likes

Kospet Prime 2 is on eBay if you don’t mind paying around a hundred dollars more for it than you can get it on banggood.com. I would guess some people will sell on Amazon but expect to pay quite a lot more IMO. Banggood has been good to deal with and reliable. I’ve been using banggood for 5 years and have gotten quite a lot from them without any real problems - just one issue which was taken care of quickly.

2 Likes

Question about a big slow down in App installs. I noticed after doing a lot of fiddling to get the APN to work that installing an App - even a very small size under 1 Megabyte seemed to take way longer than it did some days ago. So far I haven’t been able to pin down what may have caused this. The rest of the watch seems just as fast as before but installs take much longer. I don’t have any big apps or a whole lot of them and still have tons of free space. Any thoughts on what might cause slow installs? Google protect is turned off.
I went through Developer options in trying to diagnose this slowdown. I see the “Verify apps over USB” (check apps installed via ADB/ADT for harmful behavior) is turned off and Grayed out so it can’t be turned on. Not sure why it’s that way but the other Prime 2 has it turned ON. Other than that one difference which I would not think is causing a slow install from the Downloads folder I don’t see any difference in Developer options.

I agree with @droidtrix. Why not trying bangood? I ordered dozens of watches there and had no problems.

2 Likes

I also had that slow download of apps (don’t know if you have slow download part or install part).
The same evening I decided to make a 5GHz only WLAN and connected to that (it was previously selecting 2.4Ghz, even though 5Ghz was available on same name), and then the apps just flew in like crazy…

You should not worry about anything until you get the proper watches.
You are still using the review samples.

1 Like