Keeping track of the impact of these changes

The first of many to come is Watch Droid - read here /thread/2984/major-changes-watch-droid-app

The great app Settings Search has been removed completely

I found the following blogpost that tells us about the changes: android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/10/providing-safe-and-secure-experience.html

Jan 1, 2019 21:41:25 GMT 1 noidremained said:
I found the following blogpost that tells us about the changes: android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/10/providing-safe-and-secure-experience.html

Thanks - this is a good web page.

Cheers

It doesn't look good. Only default applications can have access to SMS and call log. This means that any sync app can not send SMS and call notification to smartwatch via BT. Isn't it?

Thanks to google monopoly, so tell to developers not make free application

Jan 2, 2019 11:41:43 GMT 1 dreq said:

It doesn't look good. Only default applications can have access to SMS and call log. This means that any sync app can not send SMS and call notification to smartwatch via BT. Isn't it?

I believe this is correct. Which is why the Watch Droid developers told their users not to upgrade their apps beyond version 9.1 if they want to keep it in its current usable form. 
Jan 2, 2019 15:39:56 GMT 1 capt jon said:
Jan 2, 2019 11:41:43 GMT 1 dreq said:

I believe this is correct. Which is why the Watch Droid developers told their users not to upgrade their apps beyond version 9.1 if they want to keep it in its current usable form. 

In this situation, it seems that the entire Android-based smartwatch market will suffer from the lack of a decent sync app. Unless some developer decides to develop applications available outside Play Store with SMS / call notification.
Jan 2, 2019 16:15:19 GMT 1 dreq said:
Jan 2, 2019 15:39:56 GMT 1 capt jon said:

In this situation, it seems that the entire Android-based smartwatch market will suffer from the lack of a decent sync app. Unless some developer decides to develop applications available outside Play Store with SMS / call notification.

The Open Watch project I hope 

One small query, and it may seem a noob question.

What is the basic difference between Watch Droid Phone and Assistant app?

Secondly, I have a IQI I8 and currently using Wii Watch 2. And not getting incoming call notifications. Any fix for this?

When using Watch Droid you install Watch Droid Phone on your phone and Watch Droid Assistant on your watch. Not getting notifications on your watch about an incoming call on the phone is one of the consequences of these changes.

So what can be done for an incoming call notification? I am using Wii Watch 2. Thanks.

one way is to use version 9.1.19.9 of watch droid:
apkpure.com/watch-droid-assistant/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidassistant/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion
apkpure.com/watch-droid-phone/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidphone/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion

Excuse my ignorance, but how is being able to see incoming texts and calls on a smartwatch a security problem? There are only two applications that I am aware of that will work with my Lemfo Lemx, and one has apparently had this function already removed and I have to use an older version. I am talking about Watch Droid Assistant. Wii Watch 2 stinks! If something is done to stop the current software I am using from doing this, it takes away one of the main reasons why I use a smart watch. My wife has an Apple watch and she can do all of this with no problem. Apple is very security conscious and confined. Does this mean Android will become as locked down as IOS?

Jan 6, 2019 17:31:32 GMT 1 cranstonsnord said:
Excuse my ignorance, but how is being able to see incoming texts and calls on a smartwatch a security problem? There are only two applications that I am aware of that will work with my Lemfo Lemx, and one has apparently had this function already removed and I have to use an older version. I am talking about Watch Droid Assistant. Wii Watch 2 stinks! If something is done to stop the current software I am using from doing this, it takes away one of the main reasons why I use a smart watch. My wife has an Apple watch and she can do all of this with no problem. Apple is very security conscious and confined. Does this mean Android will become as locked down as IOS?

I believe it has more to do with the permissions required to allow the apps to function as they did. It is not a problem if you just use the 9.1 version of WatchDroid. I use it on two of my watches (the Les1 has BT call) and it works with no issues. Just because it can no longer be updated doesn't mean it will stop working and you can't use it forever and ever.

Jan 6, 2019 17:31:32 GMT 1 cranstonsnord said:

the problem its the latest Lemfo update firmware,that remove the feature to turn on the screen when you the received a notification, nothing to do with 3 party app,in this case watch droid Ass,that i believe that you have to use a specific version and not do an update. I am an iphone user and i have to use the Wiiwatch and i get all the notification,i didnt update the latest LemX version,Pablo11 is asking to Lemfo to make an user option to get that feature back,i dont the meaning why they remove it. It had been said the watches with A7 OS they will be a lot of restrictions security reasons from Google the Bluetooth connectivities (calling and SMS replay),so dont expect those feature any time soon if you are using you watch with a Simcard like a regular phone you have those features,but for me that i wish for Bluetooth features,something i dont get it,why its possible to get all the Bluetooth features from i simple wireless earbuds?. Just connect and Voila, just hoping for the Open Watch project we will get more

I think it should be understood that this is not something that can be easily solved by the Openwatch team.

This is a fundamental Google Services framework change and involves the entire Google ecosystem.

To resolve this would mean a completely independent framework solution - not from Google.

In turn it would most likely mean that you could not use any Google apps on a device running a third party framework.

Google is reeling from the security breaches on G+ which involved users contacts being compromised (amongst other things)

So any app that requires permission to access contacts or messages is under tight observation from Google.

Jan 8, 2019 4:49:00 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:
I think it should be understood that this is not something that can be easily solved by the Openwatch team.

This is a fundamental Google Services framework change and involves the entire Google ecosystem.

To resolve this would mean a completely independent framework solution - not from Google.

In turn it would most likely mean that you could not use any Google apps on a device running a third party framework.

Google is reeling from the security breaches on G+ which involved users contacts being compromised (amongst other things)

So any app that requires permission to access contacts or messages is under tight observation from Google.

What do u mean, that’s better for us to block updating of Play Services ? In order to avoid losing these features in the future ? These new rules from Google will have big impacts on smartwatches brands, not positive of course: the main purpose of an android smartwatch is to read notifications from a smartphone and to interact with them using BT.

Jan 2, 2019 20:45:44 GMT 1 noidremained said:
one way is to use version 9.1.19.9 of watch droid: apkpure.com/watch-droid-assistant/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidassistant/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion apkpure.com/watch-droid-phone/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidphone/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion

Silly question . How secure is this . Went to install from apk and all the usual android warnings start flashing up etc

Thanks

Jan 27, 2019 9:43:53 GMT 1 Tim And Pierce Collins said:
Jan 2, 2019 20:45:44 GMT 1 noidremained said:
one way is to use version 9.1.19.9 of watch droid: apkpure.com/watch-droid-assistant/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidassistant/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion apkpure.com/watch-droid-phone/com.lumaticsoft.watchdroidphone/download/19-APK?from=versions%2Fversion

Silly question . How secure is this . Went to install from apk and all the usual android warnings start flashing up etc

Thanks

Installing Version 9.1 you are installing the last version before the changes took place. The developers cautioned the apps users that if they did not want to lose the full function of Watch Droid, to not download any further updates unless directed to by them. It is unlikely they will be able to fully restore all the functions lost under the new security rules set down by Google. If you noticed on apkpure the newer versions 10.0 and 10.1 were also available. These versions are not fully functional like 9.1.

Jan 27, 2019 15:46:48 GMT 1 capt jon said:
Jan 27, 2019 9:43:53 GMT 1 Tim And Pierce Collins said:

Thanks

Installing Version 9.1 you are installing the last version before the changes took place. The developers cautioned the apps users that if they did not want to lose the full function of Watch Droid, to not download any further updates unless directed to by them. It is unlikely they will be able to fully restore all the functions lost under the new security rules set down by Google. If you noticed on apkpure the newer versions 10.0 and 10.1 were also available. These versions are not fully functional like 9.1.

Thankyou