Android 10 has landed - official announcement

Excellent news! Great to hear there’s progress! Keep us posted with new products!

1 Like

Just a quick reminder about cost.
You can obviously understand that the new devices are going to be a little more expensive than the devices we are used to.

I don’t know what the price point will be yet, but I will let you know as soon as I can.

It will still be cheaper than the Wear alternatives.

1 Like

While waiting, maybe i buy S08 for ~140$? Can u forecast the price @pablo11 150$ or 200$ or more?

If you read his comment you will find that we don’t know anything about the prices at the moment …
As @pablo11 said: We will let you know when we know more.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

While the info below is just a guess it might give an idea of how the new watches may be priced. I say this because the Unihertz tiny phones are somewhat comparable to the watches in their specs and size.
Unihertz Jelly Pro original price around $125 now $109:
1.1 GHz MT6735 64-Bit Quad-Core Processor

• 2GB RAM With 16GB ROM
  • 2.45 Inch Display
  • Dual SIM Support
  • 8MP Camera With LED Flash
  • 2 MP Front Camera
  • 4G LTE

Unihertz Atom original price $259 but now around $229:
· The Smallest 4G rugged SmartPhone
· IP68 Waterproof
· Octa-Core Processor - Mediatek MT6763 (Helio P23) Octa-core, 2 GHz
· Android 8.1 Oreo
· Universal 4G Network
· 8M+16M Cameras
· 4G Ram / 64G Storage
· Fingerprint
· NFC

1 Like

in the unlikely event that they get nfc I would gladly pay $259

1 Like

Even if you’re willing to pay $ 500, it won’t happen…:wink:

2 Likes

I’m a little confused by your reply… I thought that new android version (10 Vs 7.1.1) would bring new features like bt calling, NFC, etc…
Is that not true?
What should we expect from new android version in terms of functionalities for future FAWs?

Cheers

I don’t think we have any information about the software features it will bring. The main advantage with Android 10 is power management, security and compatibility.

Android suffered a huge change in the transition from 7.1.2 to 8.0. It was important enough to require a new kernel binder, and a lot of apps needed to be updated in order to function correctly (this is not completely true, but just so you can understand the advantages).

This means that now, with Android 10 we will be covered for a long time when it comes to app compatibility, as I don’t think Android will make any important changes like this one anytime soon. Android 10 also comes with native dark mode, which is very useful in AMOLED watches, and simulates the Android Wear experience a lot better.

Another advantage is the native gesture navigation, for which most apps are optimized. This means that you won’t get random “back” presses when swiping through an app, it’s now needed to do it from the edge.

3 Likes

@Gianluca_Borrelli, It’s not just the Android version that enables NFC - you need the hardware in the watch or phone for it to work. I personally never use NFC and consider it somewhat of a security risk to use a phone or watch to make payments with.

2 Likes

The current solution requires an add on module for NFC but the second generation board will have NFC built in.
The only problem is that to use it for any real benefit then security and other build certificates have to be absolutely correct and matching.
This will always be a serious challenge as these are not flavour of the month with the app ecosystem.

My suggestion is that we don’t mention that g word as much as we can. Especially until this stuff hits the market.

What I can say on a more positive note is that we will be hosting a watch face competition for the Prime 2 and several will be available as prizes.

More details will be coming very soon. :+1:

8 Likes

Thanks to alla for explainations.

Cheers

The price is expected to be 200 - 250 USD…

2 Likes
3 Likes

hello , pablo11
This is great news, thank you. the dial one should make for you and ( display 400x400 or 480x480 ) ?

400×400. Thanks.

1 Like

ok thanks for the reply :+1:t2:

how do we share the dial with you?
do you need a picture ?
we share it and to whom?

It’s all written in the post about the competition.

1 Like

sorry I hadn’t seen the ad. i just saw ok thanks