Alading Y7 - watch with built-in earbuds

I took a chance and bought one of these Y7 4G Video Call Camera 2MP Smart Horloge 8 Core Gps Wifi Ecg Bloed Zuurstof Druk Android 9 Smartwatch met 2 Bluetooth Oortelefoon| | - AliExpress and I’m glad I did.

In terms of hardware it has everything we’re used to, plus

• built-in BT earbuds (!)
  • blood oxygen, blood pressure, body temperature, EKG (!!)
  • flip up case like the LEM13

The earbuds are not high-end but better than you might expect, and certainly adequate for podcasts and videos, and in a pinch for music. I can’t speak to the accuracy of the new sensors but in my limited testing they seem to produce reasonable results. It’s solidly built but I don’t know the quality of the internals.

Where it falls a bit is the firmware. It’s Android 9, but not as crippled as the last A9 watch I tried. For one thing apps aren’t restarted after booting, but once they are started they aren’t killed. Also 3rd party launchers almost work but not quite. There are one or two other issues I can’t think of at the moment.

My conclusion: it may not be a daily driver, but it could be a conversation piece if for example someone brags about what their Apple watch can do…

3 Likes

It sounds interesting Bozley! :+1: And how can you put a price on Bragging rights?! :rofl: Cheers, “Ok, so my Rolex may be a copy…but at least it is a copy of a Rolex”! :woozy_face: :crazy_face:, Doons

1 Like

Android 9, NO Support!

3 Likes

Correct, buy at your own risk.

Some of the reviews on AliExpress mention poor battery life. This must be from heavy use and/or unfamiliarity with FAWs. With light use/standby I’m getting excellent life, better than the most recent “mainstream” FAWs. One caveat: I don’t use a SIM in my watches.

I did a use case comparison. Listening to 1 hour of music on earbuds took about 18% of battery on the Y7, and 14% on the LEM16. Not all variables were controlled for.

I still have to reinforce that this is not a good idea for most people.

I appreciate your honesty about it :+1:

1 Like

Turns out there is a setting to allow apps to start on booting. So in terms of app compatibility and apps starting and running as expected I can now recommend this watch.

HOWEVER, there are still important limitations I haven’t found workarounds for, namely notifications don’t seem to work at all, you can’t use your own watch faces (at least not in the usual way), and 3rd party launchers don’t quite work.

There will be no official support in the forum but I can answer questions.

So 3rd party launchers can work. It requires an adb command; I’ll post details if requested. With Universal Launcher installed custom watch faces also work.

2 Likes

Hi! Just wondering if you’re still using the watch? Could you share your experience with it now that more time has passed? I’m very intrigued and love the concept of built-in earbuds. The Huawei Watch Buds looks great but is very limited, not being a FAW nor a standalone smartwatch.This seems like my best option so far, but I assume you found no success in installing the international firmware on it as it runs Android 9? Cheers

1 Like

I myself really wanted this watch it was suppose to be lokmat 8 but it didnt, sadly they dont make it in the other colors that it can be made just the black so i went with the lokmat 7.

1 Like

It’s absolutely not possible to install international firmware on it. In fact, it is not possible to get any firmware for it.
It was made by a company that is not contactable and is sold “as is” with no support by whoever wants to sell it.
The places that sell it get no support from the manufacturer.

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming, too bad, as a minimalist I love the concept of a 2-in-1 watch, or in this case 3-in-1 as it runs full Android :laughing: Hopefully one day the big brands will catch on!!

It’s not one my main watches, but I do still use it. Once I got Universal Launcher working it’s about as usable as other A9 & A10 watches supported here. Except for notifications - I only get them when the screen is on. The earbuds are a nice convenience. One thing I didn’t mention is that it is a heavy watch, heavier than any other watch I have with this screen size.

On balance I would caution against it, unless you’re a hobbyist looking for unique features and is willing take take some risk and put some work into it,

1 Like

Ah I see, the notification bug is quite annoying if used as a main device, for me it would defeat the purpose of buying a FAW in the first place - using my device less - if I have to manually check apps for notifications… Thanks for letting me know though, the earbuds seem like a cool feature to have, but maybe not worth the cons :slight_smile:

At this point I would like to emphasize again that in our opinion this watch is NOT a purchase recommendation!

2 Likes

Which app have you used on it? It is the same specs as my lokmat 7 and all apps and notifications work well for me. Even the same Whatsapp. I use Heartfit and Auto Weather on it and they work perfectly. The only BIG DOWNSIDE that if something goes wrong firmware and flashing it won’t be as easy as on MTKs devices.

Not so easy" doesn’t quite get to the heart of the problem, @sonia_sophie_ataunna . The main problem is that often not even a firmware is available. (In this case: the Alading Y7 firmware). And then a small problem, which is usually caused by flashing the firmware, becomes a total loss.

1 Like

That is,even worse, cos ot means if a,wrong facecis,used and cos problems with booting than the watch is,no worth:// I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL with what i use on the watch. What about the lokmat 9 it is mtk so forcit will be easy to get firmware if needed, right?

Yes, lokmat firmware should be available if needed.

1 Like