Thor Pro - is it faulty?

---- IF IN WRONG BOARD PLEASE MOVE ( I COULD NOT FIND A THOR PRO BOARD ) ---- 

The battery in my 2 week old Thor Pro has started behaving badly

It runs as expected down to around 80% then switches off without warning due to discharged battery and is at 1% when switched back on.

Nothing in particular is draining battery life see attached pics.

For the first two weeks it ran fine, it appeared to do an OTA update recently as I had the “starting apps” messages on boot.

I have already factory reset yesterday and the issue is persisting. Anyone know what I can do or have I received a faulty one?

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2018 16:58:41 GMT 1 Sam Brook said:

reset again the watch and charge it till it reaches 100% 

I started having issues with the battery after an OTA update so I’ve now flashed the X300 firmware version from this forum and I’m trying different combinations of hard resets, full charges, full drains and partial charges.

It seems that android isn’t reporting the battery life correctly: e.g it may stay at a reported 50% for 2 hours whilst switched on with a sim card installed, wi-fi OR 3g data and gesture-wake active (in reality the battery must be draining somewhat) then dies while showing 50% and says 1% battery when switched back on.

I’m getting approx 4-6 hours battery life in the above configuration which leads me to think the battery is ok and it’s a software issue but it’s inconvenient and annoying having no working battery meter leaving me to guess how much power is left as I go through the day.

Aug 1, 2018 19:24:12 GMT 1 Sam Brook said:

getting only 4hrs to 6hrs is not normal, plz reset the watch again and do'nt install nothing and make sure updates and sync are off, see how battery behave.btw, 3g can have great impact on battery life if there is'nt coverage in the earas you in.

I think the cell service is one of the issues limiting the battery life as I don’t get very good cell service where I am on any device, so it would be using a lot of power constantly searching for a better signal. (I’m on a hill and the four nearby transmitters don’t quite reach the top - every network drops as you travel over the top of the hill!)

I always switch off app auto-updates in play store settings and switch off “OK Google” detection. The Thor Pro doesn’t seem to let you edit the sync settings it’s permanently switched off and when you click on the google account it shows Sync OFF but won’t let you go into it to edit the account. So sync is definitely off too.

I shall try without a sim installed over the next few days as I suspect that’s the reason I’m not getting 10 hours or so battery life but it’s the battery level indicator being out that’s causing problems. It’s easy enough for me to charge the watch for an hour here and there through the day as long as I know it’s getting low that is 

I don’t use BT calling anyway so I’ve stayed with the X300 firmware from this forum for now and the battery level indicator does seem to be better - hopefully it will train itself over the next few charges. I’ll update here as I go especially if I solve the issue in case anyone else has the same problem.

So far today it’s been losing roughly 10% per hour which is a lot more like it should be, I’m happy that it seems to be a software issue rather than hardware anyway!

Watch just died and last time I looked it said 3% battery and won’t turn on so that’s it empty.

I’ve got around ten and a half hours battery life with:

• Wifi on but set to sleep in standby
  • Auto wake gesture on
  • 3G off but sim inserted and around half an hour of voice calls made
  • Brightness set to low mid
  • Non-stock apps installed are: - Google Contacts - Google Calendar - Google Chrome - Google Photos - Keychain Loyalty Card - Messagease Keyboard and English wordlist - RoundCalc - RoundTimer - Settings Search - WiFi File Transfer Pro
The battery meter wasn't that accurate as it seemed to stay on round numbers (80% 50% 10% are the ones I spotted) for an inordinate amount of time so I rebooted it. Except for that the battery percentage did drop more or less consistently.

I’ve currently got it on charge switched off waiting for it to say 100%. I’ll then unplug it and boot up to see if it says 100% whilst switched on, if it doesn’t say 100% while on I’ll be switching off and charging again then repeating until it says 100% when switched on. Then I’ll fully discharge through normal usage again and recharge to 100%. Hopefully that will have trained the battery stats. We shall see!

I am happy with the ten and a half hours of “normal” usage though.

Aug 2, 2018 22:39:12 GMT 1 Sam Brook said:

• Non-stock apps installed are: - Google Contacts - Google Calendar - Google Chrome - Google Photos - Keychain Loyalty Card - Messagease Keyboard and English wordlist - RoundCalc - RoundTimer - Settings Search - WiFi File Transfer Pro

make sure that they do'nt update or sync automatically.

Good point I haven’t checked those in bold yet!

the issue is to do with data been switched on, I dont know if its the weather app or google location but I now only turn data on when I need it and let any updates happen over wifi. I had that with the thor 4 when I first had it, with data on it was so hot you couldnt touch it, the thor pro gets pretty warm and the battery level drops 25% in 1/2 hour but with data off it last all day

Aug 13, 2018 17:07:50 GMT 1 d8nny said:
the issue is to do with data been switched on, I dont know if its the weather app or google location but I now only turn data on when I need it and let any updates happen over wifi. I had that with the thor 4 when I first had it, with data on it was so hot you couldnt touch it, the thor pro gets pretty warm and the battery level drops 25% in 1/2 hour but with data off it last all day

you can switch off any updates or sync by google's apps in settings, i prefer to do it manually even the weather.

I get to love this thor pro more each day, when in lock screen, if you swipe to the left it opens the camera, swipe down and you can adjust brightness,volume,bluetooth,wifi and view battery cell status without having to put a pin in each time, I put one of those magnetic disc on the back of the dock so I can use the maps in the car and have it on charge as you drive along, bet you cant do that with the thor 4. I was getting worried last week when mr Tick reviewed the lem4 pro since it had a bigger battery but was relieved when I found the screen is still nothing to match the thor pro