Still in need of instructions for flashing the device

I have an X5 original version which is stuck loading because of something I did when installing watch faces.  I have downloaded the TWRP tool but am at a loss as to what exactly to do with it to re-flash the firmware.  The excellent videos from Smartwatchticks seem to be describing a much earlier tool.

I understand just enough about programming to realize that a lot of work has gone into setting up this board and creating these tools to work with a variety of devices, and I respect that.  But the missing link seems to be a video showing what we will see on screen at each stage of the process, using the tool provided here.  Without this I am just playing around within the program until some point where I realize I am lost and have no idea if I am on the right track anymore.

I guess the next step for the companies making these devices has to be to recognize that installing/deleting watch faces is the most likely area to cause trouble, and have the power-up routine detect when the ClockSkin folder is missing necessary files, at which point it should offer to restore them.  But until then I am stuck wearing my old watch, waiting for a solution I can understand.

Dec 1, 2016 12:06:20 GMT 1 mcbruce said:
I have an X5 original version which is stuck loading because of something I did when installing watch faces.  I have downloaded the TWRP tool but am at a loss as to what exactly to do with it to re-flash the firmware.  The excellent videos from Smartwatchticks seem to be describing a much earlier tool.

I understand just enough about programming to realize that a lot of work has gone into setting up this board and creating these tools to work with a variety of devices, and I respect that.  But the missing link seems to be a video showing what we will see on screen at each stage of the process, using the tool provided here.  Without this I am just playing around within the program until some point where I realize I am lost and have no idea if I am on the right track anymore.

I guess the next step for the companies making these devices has to be to recognize that installing/deleting watch faces is the most likely area to cause trouble, and have the power-up routine detect when the ClockSkin folder is missing necessary files, at which point it should offer to restore them.  But until then I am stuck wearing my old watch, waiting for a solution I can understand.

are you with a custom rom or stock rom? if custom flash as you did at first if stock rom it is very easy and you need to remember every change you do with custom faces you can’t change or delete if you did’nt put your watch on a stock watchface. to flash your watch with stock rom go here: 

Here are the differences I see between what I am doing on a Windows 7 machine and what your video shows:

–the files you are using seem to have file names about three kilometres longer than the ones I am assuming are correct from the all in one tool that is linked to on this site. I have no way of telling what these incredibly long named files are, or where to find them. Your video looks like you are downloading from a source on your own computer.
–the TWRP tool I have looks similar, but has, unlike your version and SMT’s videos, THREE boxes to fill, not TWO in the screen I see at about 1:45 in your video. The third is named, I believe, authentication, and there is no obvious instruction on what file to put there. I can get something to flash, but it reports done after a few seconds. You clearly have a different version of the flashing software than this site points to, and there is no easy way for me to figure out where to get your version.

I’m left with the overriding impression that this is simply beyond me, that the companies making these watches need to make them more self-correcting and translate more of their instructions better. I’m afraid I’m just not up to the task of fixing something this needlessly complicated.

Dec 3, 2016 11:54:52 GMT 1 mcbruce said:
Here are the differences I see between what I am doing on a Windows 7 machine and what your video shows:

–the files you are using seem to have file names about three kilometres longer than the ones I am assuming are correct from the all in one tool that is linked to on this site. I have no way of telling what these incredibly long named files are, or where to find them. Your video looks like you are downloading from a source on your own computer.
–the TWRP tool I have looks similar, but has, unlike your version and SMT’s videos, THREE boxes to fill, not TWO in the screen I see at about 1:45 in your video. The third is named, I believe, authentication, and there is no obvious instruction on what file to put there. I can get something to flash, but it reports done after a few seconds. You clearly have a different version of the flashing software than this site points to, and there is no easy way for me to figure out where to get your version.

I’m left with the overriding impression that this is simply beyond me, that the companies making these watches need to make them more self-correcting and translate more of their instructions better. I’m afraid I’m just not up to the task of fixing something this needlessly complicated.

1. androidmtk.com/smart-phone-flash-tool (i had an old version and updated to the latest from this link).
2.http:///board/16/factory-firmware-downloads (from here download the firmware for your watch).

***extract all zip files that you download before using.

Success!
[Standing ovation for you, soniasophie9697!]
In the end, the ultimate solution was a slight pressing of the watch to the charger, which seems to have solidified the connection. The reflash took about two minutes. Just as I was beginning to feel it in my thumbs, it was over. Now preparing to re-enjoy this gadget after about eight weeks of older analog watch. Thanks so much for your patience with my frustration.

Dec 5, 2016 8:49:46 GMT 1 mcbruce said:
Success! [Standing ovation for you, soniasophie9697!] In the end, the ultimate solution was a slight pressing of the watch to the charger, which seems to have solidified the connection. The reflash took about two minutes. Just as I was beginning to feel it in my thumbs, it was over. Now preparing to re-enjoy this gadget after about eight weeks of older analog watch. Thanks so much for your patience with my frustration.

the dock? yes, i had this problem with the dock of the D5 and i bought one new and the old one just needed to tiden the screws but it is always good to have a spare charging dock (one only charges and the other just fine).