Smart watch, am I using it wrong?

My W1 is a nice watch of that there is no doubt. But I find myself also wearing a cheap fitness band that easily records my fitness, sleeping, exercise, and so on because the W1 does not have that full functionality. It always struggles to connect to Wiiwear, has no sleep or calories measurements, and the battery lasts a working day with Bluetooth on. 

I put on Googlefit but that was not very reliable. Why can a £15 fitness band be so much more useful and much more stable and reliable on Bluetooth than a £80 Smartwatch? I am thinking of getting a Newear Q8 as it does all that plus it has blood pressure measurement, and I can go swimming in it. It costs £18.

The W1 has become a great gadget to show off, but not at all practical. Why are the developers looking at things that don’t really matter, like 4G? Is it just me?

Jun 14, 2018 16:19:30 GMT 1 paulr said:
My W1 is a nice watch of that there is no doubt. But I find myself also wearing a cheap fitness band that easily records my fitness, sleeping, exercise, and so on because the W1 does not have that full functionality. It always struggles to connect to Wiiwear, has no sleep or calories measurements, and the battery lasts a working day with Bluetooth on. 

I put on Googlefit but that was not very reliable. Why can a £15 fitness band be so much more useful and much more stable and reliable on Bluetooth than a £80 Smartwatch? I am thinking of getting a Newear Q8 as it does all that plus it has blood pressure measurement, and I can go swimming in it. It costs £18.

The W1 has become a great gadget to show off, but not at all practical. Why are the developers looking at things that don’t really matter, like 4G? Is it just me?

Just a suggestion I look at my I4 Air more as a phone or extension of my phone.  While it does have a pedometer, and heart rate function that work very well it also does not have a sleep or other fitness functions. I also use a fitness band with ECG capability for sleep and to ck blood pressure as it is more accurate. As a phone, 4G will improve data downloads for those that consider that important. Some watches have more fitness features  but unless they are linked to GPS are basically not realistic, in my opinion. I think when you try to do too much with one of these devices everything suffers a bit. Their size limits their capabilities and functions. But just think how much they have progressed in the few years they have been around. Besides they would much rather sell you two devices. Time will tell but one day…

I think you are right, but I just find it incredible that the stuff that they put on the watches is not what most of us use it for. I want a reliable Bluetooth connection, sleep, constant heart rate, messaging, call alert, emails, facebook & Whatsapp.

So far I have Bluetooth phone that constantly drops every few minutes so cannot rely on it, if I connect the wi app it will not even attempt Bluetooth phone alerts, and next to useless fitness apps. Maybe I purchased the wrong watch?

I do love the gadget-ness of it though, and the fact I can wear it as a phone & connect it to an earpiece (that seems to keep connected), and I think it looks great.

However, I do think it is all form and no substance. Maybe spending £500 on a Garmin or something would get me all that, but the W1 should be powerful enough to do it anyway. It so close and just a little thought about what apps go on and why (it would be a programming thing & no more effort than putting something like remote camera operation (why do I need remote capture?) would make this a really useful bit of kit.

paulr

1. all apps you can insatll on your watch that you have on your phone and wo’nt need the notifications app, even whatsapp.

2. i’m not sure why would you need HR always on, but you can use for that the gliderun (drains battery fast) or use HeartOnTop same…

3.i use SenseMe for 24\7 activities tracker and sleep before that i’ve use s health (samsung).