Rectangular vs Round Form Factor: which is better?

@Oliewan - thanks for sharing that. And a 1.6 inch round screen seems about as big that is available these days, so interesting you don’t find it large enough. Seems there is not perfect solution. As @Achim_Schiffer said, it depends on your planned usage and “there will always be a compromise”.

The Prime 2 is huge, but if you are ok with that, maybe it’s the sweet spot as even in square mode the usable screen is relatively large. :thinking: Of course, its not really available anymore…

The fact is that a larger screen would authorize a better resolution to make the Play Store apps usable. Indeed It all depends on planned usage as you say. That said I am not sure the Prime 2 has a better resolution…

That seems obvious now that you say it, but not something I had.thought of. I had considered resolution more as a threshold thing, but had not considered that the higher the resolution the more usable (as opposed to visibly attractive) the screen will be. But as you rightfully note, resolution is important. The watches have to render a lot of info and detail on small screens.

Another factor to take into account.

I use Google assistant and voice control.
I must admit that I don’t have any problems with the 1.6" round screen.
At the end of the day it’s a matter of personal choice and how configure the device.
I personally prefer to use the classic round watch style.
It really is a personal choice.

1 Like

@pablo11 you mean you use the Google assistant and the stock onboard voice assistant to turn on functions, open apps, etc? Will the Google Assistant not do it all?

Starting to wonder if I am coming at this the wrong way… another way to approach this question is to narrow things down to only look at those watches for which there is a FAW international firmware. Reading through the forums, seems the firmware is one of the most important considerations if you want to avoid issues and have good/smooth usability.

No, I just use Google assistant for everything that requires typing.
I mean messages, answering calls, maps etc…
I never use any of the stock Chinese apps if I can possibly help it.
That’s why we made the FAW international firmware.
It’s for people who want full Google experience.

But again, the devices we made it for are getting harder and harder to find now.
We don’t have enough resources to make it compatible with newer devices.

Anyway, even with stock firmware you can use Google assistant for most things, including typing.
But I’m sure you will find out about all this after using this forum and watching YouTube videos etc… :+1:

1 Like

So been thinking about buying a FAW for a few months now and conscious that holiday and Singles Day deals are on or coming. @pablo11, I recall at one point you mentioned that there will be a smaller Android 9 coming (like the LEM 10 but more advanced). Haven’t seen any announcements about its release, but (unless other benefits this new model would provide) think having a watch with the international firmware is an important consideration for me - because of less bloat, the Google experience, but also for privacy and security reasons.

With this in mind I am favouring the round Optimus 2 (currently on sale at Kospet) and rectangular DM101, which I can already get for $100ish less than the O2 (so can easily buy an extra band and charger with the difference). @pablo11, I couldn’t find the spec sheets for these models on the forum. Hoping that might be something something you can share?

I know a lot of people on this forum have had both of these watches, and wondering what their views are about the benefits and draw backs of both? My plan is to primarily have the watch tethered to my phone’s hotspot, so also wondering if anyone has any insights into their respect battery performance under these conditions?

Thx!

1 Like

As I have mentioned previously, we will make announcements regarding anything new once we have verified the products.
This is how we have always worked and it is for good reason. The last thing we want to do is talk up a product and the people purchase and then find out that it is just not suitable or working as expected.

So, once we have verified any new products (that we think are supportable) we will announce them.

Patience is required.
I understand the temptation to go off and buy something immediately, but trust me - you could be throwing money away on trash.
Only to discover a few weeks later that a sensible device is now available.

Good things come to those who wait :+1::handshake:

4 Likes