PSA- Another friendly reminder those in the U.S.

Again, a friendly reminder to those buying cellular capable Chinese smartwatches in the U.S

AT&T 2G GSM 850/1900MHz network shutdown
To help support increasing mobile Internet usage and continue to provide you with a great customer experience, we started to discontinue service on our 2G wireless network as of December 31, 2016.

AT&T wireless customers attempting to use 2G devices on this network after the shutdown will be unable to:
Make or receive calls, including emergency calls.
Send or receive text messages.
Use data services.

Device Requirements Post-2G Shutdown
After December 31, 2016, the minimum requirement needed to operate on AT&T’s network is 3G WCDMA (UMTS) HSPA 850/1900 MHz Band 2 and Band 5.

In short. If you don’t have working 3G support now, your device is a paperweight after December 31st 2016.

So, I am looking for a standalone smartwatch phone that will be compatible with StraightTalk but I am having difficulty determining which would I should look for. I was looking at the Doogee S1 (I know its a square face but I would prefer round), but I keep getting conflicting information about if it is compatible with StraightTalk (AT&T) and I am already going to have to return a watch to Gearbest because it isn’t compatible. Guess I am getting a bit nervous about it all.
Ideally, the phone would also have sdcard support for expandable memory. If that’s not available, I would be looking at a fair amount of storage. Can someone tell me what my best options would be?

Apr 12, 2017 3:05:23 GMT 1 skritch said:
So, I am looking for a standalone smartwatch phone that will be compatible with StraightTalk but I am having difficulty determining which would I should look for. I was looking at the Doogee S1 (I know its a square face but I would prefer round), but I keep getting conflicting information about if it is compatible with StraightTalk (AT&T) and I am already going to have to return a watch to Gearbest because it isn't compatible. Guess I am getting a bit nervous about it all. Ideally, the phone would also have sdcard support for expandable memory. If that's not available, I would be looking at a fair amount of storage. Can someone tell me what my best options would be?

there are great round watches with 16gb storage and 1gb ram, but you need to check the bands of these watches like the Lemfo Les1 and iqi i4 if they are supported by at&t , my suggestion is to wait for the 4g LTE watches to come out which i think they will start to come out this summer. if you look on alibaba you'll see that they exist.
Apr 12, 2017 3:05:23 GMT 1 skritch said:
So, I am looking for a standalone smartwatch phone that will be compatible with StraightTalk but I am having difficulty determining which would I should look for. I was looking at the Doogee S1 (I know its a square face but I would prefer round), but I keep getting conflicting information about if it is compatible with StraightTalk (AT&T) and I am already going to have to return a watch to Gearbest because it isn't compatible. Guess I am getting a bit nervous about it all. Ideally, the phone would also have sdcard support for expandable memory. If that's not available, I would be looking at a fair amount of storage. Can someone tell me what my best options would be?

I have a LEM5 from Lemfo. (3G) I use it on Consumer Cellular, which uses the AT&T system.  As a standalone phone, it actually works quite well.  I popped in the nano SIM and it worked straight away.  All the rest of the features leave something to be desired, but we will leave that for another day.  It is quite handy having a phone available that I won't likely leave behind somewhere.  For that alone, it was well worth the price. 

I was running my TenThirteen on Family Mobile from WalMart which is T-Mobile based, and despite claiming to have the right bands, I couldn’t get better than 2G on it. Hopefully if there’s time tonight, I’ll try throwing my AT&T sim in and see how that goes.

Has anyone tried FreedomPop in the US their SIM Card is one dollar and FREE after one month if you stay below a certain level of service usage. www.freedompop.com/ I have been interested but not sure but I thought it would be a good emergency backup for my LEM5 watch.

I use SpeedTalk Sim cards which are connected through T-Mobile. I read where T-Mobile has announced that they will support the 2G service through 2020 because of the number of customers they have requiring 2G.

So far these Sim Cards have worked ok on 2G and 3G here in my location in FL. The only limitation being the proximity to the towers.

I buy the cards on Amazon. My experience with the service from Speedtalk has been very good. I use their auto refill option so I never have to be concerned about not being connected. They offer cards for as little as $5 a month. They basically charge you $.02 a minute so you get 250 minutes of use at the $5 rate.