No.1 D5, went backwards from stuck boot screen to nothing

I have been trying to flash a D5 back to operation after its owner got it stuck trying to load new faces. When he gave it to me it was stuck on the “No.1” screen, but now I have nothing on the screen at all.
Trying to flash it using the flash tool, I get to the point where the yellow bar starts advancing and I either get a checksum at the end, or the watch starts disconnecting and reconnecting continuously, and of the course the flash process is interrupted.

I try disconnecting and reconnecting battery, but it still does this. Seems to me it’s trying to wake itself up, is that right?

Is this watch recoverable, and would somebody be kind enough to give me directions?

Many thanks.

Sept 16, 2017 6:21:39 GMT 1 julianop said:
I have been trying to flash a D5 back to operation after its owner got it stuck trying to load new faces. When he gave it to me it was stuck on the "No.1" screen, but now I have nothing on the screen at all. Trying to flash it using the flash tool, I get to the point where the yellow bar starts advancing and I either get a checksum at the end, or the watch starts disconnecting and reconnecting continuously, and of the course the flash process is interrupted.

I try disconnecting and reconnecting battery, but it still does this. Seems to me it’s trying to wake itself up, is that right?

Is this watch recoverable, and would somebody be kind enough to give me directions?

Many thanks.

First, in that case, i would have just tried a reset to factory, not flash. Now, if the watch keeps on disconnecting during the flash, have you checked the cable ? Try to keep the base pressed on the watch during the flash.

Thanks for the response, Ricktop. Yes I thought of that, and am careful to make sure the mechanical connection is sound. I’ve also tried a couple of different cables.
By disconnecting and reconnecting I mean that I hear the windows sounds that you hear when a usb device is connected and disconnected. It seems like the watch is trying to restart itself, but there is never any display.

Sept 16, 2017 7:52:03 GMT 1 julianop said:
Thanks for the response, Ricktop. Yes I thought of that, and am careful to make sure the mechanical connection is sound. I've also tried a couple of different cables. By disconnecting and reconnecting I mean that I hear the windows sounds that you hear when a usb device is connected and disconnected. It seems like the watch is trying to restart itself, but there is never any display.

Could it be that the power button is in a pressed state ?

Note that it takes some time to wake up around 10 minutes + or -

Sept 16, 2017 15:13:39 GMT 1 toze1 said:
Note that it takes some time to wake up around 10 minutes + or -

Oh really?! I didn't know that , toze1, thanks !!! That might explain a few things...

So when exactly do I need to wait that time ? After a successful download? Do I do start it with a button push?

I appreciate your help, but please give me as many specific details of the process that you can think of - it’ll save me a lot of poking around blindly, no knowing what to expect :slight_smile:

Sept 16, 2017 12:03:22 GMT 1 ricktop said:
Sept 16, 2017 7:52:03 GMT 1 julianop said:
Thanks for the response, Ricktop. Yes I thought of that, and am careful to make sure the mechanical connection is sound. I've also tried a couple of different cables. By disconnecting and reconnecting I mean that I hear the windows sounds that you hear when a usb device is connected and disconnected. It seems like the watch is trying to restart itself, but there is never any display.

Could it be that the power button is in a pressed state ?

Well it doesn't happen all the time, or consistently, so I don't think so, and it certainly doesn't feel stuck. (I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so this isn't totally foreign to me, I just don't know this particular product technology). It seems that all of a sudden it's trying to do something on its own, meaning that it isn't completely dead, or completely missing all firmware.

This behavior might relate to toze1’s comment about it taking 10 minutes to restart. If I understand him/her correctly, I might actually have had successful reloads but simply not know it.

Read more: /thread/1561/went-backwards-stuck-boot-screen?page=1&scrollTo=13125#ixzz4srLMK1O3

Here’s more information:
When I try to do a flash upgrade using the earliest code available, I get a connect, then messages “download DA 100%” (whatever that is) shown in red, “download bootloader 100%” shown in purple, then the main “download flash” starts. Percentage increases to something between 15 and 20%, then the disconnect/connect cycling starts: I get the Windows USB disconnect & connect two-tone sounds.
Why does the watch interrupt the download process? Am I doing anything wrong?

Sept 16, 2017 21:45:40 GMT 1 julianop said:
Here's more information: When I try to do a flash upgrade using the earliest code available, I get a connect, then messages "download DA 100%" (whatever that is) shown in red, "download bootloader 100%" shown in purple, then the main "download flash" starts. Percentage increases to something between 15 and 20%, then the disconnect/connect cycling starts: I get the Windows USB disconnect & connect two-tone sounds. Why does the watch interrupt the download process? Am I doing anything wrong?

try cleaning the dots area and try again.

Sept 17, 2017 5:12:38 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Sept 16, 2017 21:45:40 GMT 1 julianop said:
Here’s more information:
When I try to do a flash upgrade using the earliest code available, I get a connect, then messages “download DA 100%” (whatever that is) shown in red, “download bootloader 100%” shown in purple, then the main “download flash” starts. Percentage increases to something between 15 and 20%, then the disconnect/connect cycling starts: I get the Windows USB disconnect & connect two-tone sounds.
Why does the watch interrupt the download process? Am I doing anything wrong?

Yeah, did that :-( What would happen if the battery were nearly flat? Is it necessary for the battery to be charged for a successful flash operation?
Sept 17, 2017 6:31:02 GMT 1 julianop said:

Sept 17, 2017 5:12:38 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Yeah, did that :frowning:
What would happen if the battery were nearly flat? Is it necessary for the battery to be charged for a successful flash operation?

of course it also can damage the download.