My initial experiences with Kospet Hope (and some questions)

Thanks for this forum.
I received my watch in the mail yesterday and have some comments / questions.

SET UP EXPERIENCE

1. The watch came with two cables.  It took me a while to figure out that one was a charging cable that connected to the rear of the watch magnetically, and the other was a USB data cable that clicks into the SIM card slot.
  2. I was eager to check the watch out so I turned it on.  It froze after booting up.  I continually tried to restart by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds.  It would either reboot and freeze, or show a “no command” message.
  3. I connected the charging cable.  The watch warmed up, but no charging icon was displayed on the screen.  After leaving the watch like this overnight, it still wouldn’t power on.
  4. I connected the USB data cable instead.  You have to press really had for it to click in.  As soon as I did this, the watch booted up. 
  5. I tried to remove the USB data cable, but had difficulty - it was in tightly.  I eventually noticed a raised ridge along the side of the connector just above where it touches the watch.  I was able to gently pry the connector off with a small screw driver pressiing against the raised ridge and pushing the connector away from the watch.
  6. I connected the charging cable again, moved it around a bit, and eventually a blue charging icon appeared.  I had not seen this so far, and left the watch alone till it was fully charged.
  7. Once the watch was fully charged, I did a factory reset in case this might prevent problems I had earlier.
  8. Watch reset then asked if it could do a software update.
  9. Software updated ok, and watch is now useable.

USAGE EXPERIENCE / QUESTIONS

1. The on-screen keyboard is very small, and I often accidentally press the wrong key.  Is there someway to make the keys larger?
  2. The font on the screen while using apps is very small, is there some way to enlarge the font?
  3. Some apps (like strava) have a buttons to start an activity.  Those buttons don’t appear on the round screen.  Similarly with some websites.  Is there some way to pan the screen while inside an app to give access to things that are obscured by the round screen?  Alternatively is there someway to zoom out, move the centre of the view then zoom back in to get to items that are obscured because of the round corners?
  4. The above 3 frustrations caused me to think about remote control software for the watch.  Are there any apps I can install which would allow me to remotely control the watch from my desktop PC?
  5. Are there any apps / software that I can install on the watch to improve my user interface experience?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Sorry if any of these issues have been raised before.

Feb 14, 2019 2:56:43 GMT neilius said:
Thanks for this forum. I received my watch in the mail yesterday and have some comments / questions.

SET UP EXPERIENCE

1. The watch came with two cables.  It took me a while to figure out that one was a charging cable that connected to the rear of the watch magnetically, and the other was a USB data cable that clicks into the SIM card slot.
  2. I was eager to check the watch out so I turned it on.  It froze after booting up.  I continually tried to restart by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds.  It would either reboot and freeze, or show a “no command” message.
  3. I connected the charging cable.  The watch warmed up, but no charging icon was displayed on the screen.  After leaving the watch like this overnight, it still wouldn’t power on.
  4. I connected the USB data cable instead.  You have to press really had for it to click in.  As soon as I did this, the watch booted up. 
  5. I tried to remove the USB data cable, but had difficulty - it was in tightly.  I eventually noticed a raised ridge along the side of the connector just above where it touches the watch.  I was able to gently pry the connector off with a small screw driver pressiing against the raised ridge and pushing the connector away from the watch.
  6. I connected the charging cable again, moved it around a bit, and eventually a blue charging icon appeared.  I had not seen this so far, and left the watch alone till it was fully charged.
  7. Once the watch was fully charged, I did a factory reset in case this might prevent problems I had earlier.
  8. Watch reset then asked if it could do a software update.
  9. Software updated ok, and watch is now useable.

USAGE EXPERIENCE / QUESTIONS

1. The on-screen keyboard is very small, and I often accidentally press the wrong key.  Is there someway to make the keys larger?
  2. The font on the screen while using apps is very small, is there some way to enlarge the font?
  3. Some apps (like strava) have a buttons to start an activity.  Those buttons don’t appear on the round screen.  Similarly with some websites.  Is there some way to pan the screen while inside an app to give access to things that are obscured by the round screen?  Alternatively is there someway to zoom out, move the centre of the view then zoom back in to get to items that are obscured because of the round corners?
  4. The above 3 frustrations caused me to think about remote control software for the watch.  Are there any apps I can install which would allow me to remotely control the watch from my desktop PC?
  5. Are there any apps / software that I can install on the watch to improve my user interface experience?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Sorry if any of these issues have been raised before.

Thanks for sharing your initial experiences and thoughts with us!

1. and 5.) there are alternative keyboards, you can check the posted videos topic here: /thread/3288/post-videos-reviews-hope

The first video has a lot of app recommendations.

2.) yeah, they’re almost unreadably small; you can install QuickShortcutMaker from here: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

While this won’t increase the size of fonts, you can access the built-in Accessibility menu from it, which is otherwise hidden, and there is a setting for display and fonts there (and also a magnifier function with three taps).

3.) you can pan in magnifier, but let’s hope Kospet (or the laucher’s creator) will implementate a proper and usefult pinch-to-zoom and pan function in the launcher. (Maybe a fine rotation function would also be nice, because some of the watches have tilted displays, and this function could fix the misallignment.)

4.) That was my thought too, there are a few remote apps on F-Droid and Google Play.

I’ll check out this one: github.com/openstf/stf

I’m happy the freezing went away, and have fun with your new watch - at least as much as we have!

1 Like
Feb 14, 2019 12:06:47 GMT StormChild said:
Feb 14, 2019 2:56:43 GMT neilius said:

1. and 5.) there are alternative keyboards, you can check the posted videos topic here: /thread/3288/post-videos-reviews-hope

The first video has a lot of app recommendations.

3.) you can pan in magnifier, but let’s hope Kospet (or the laucher’s creator) will implementate a proper and usefult pinch-to-zoom and pan function in the launcher. (Maybe a fine rotation function would also be nice, because some of the watches have tilted displays, and this function could fix the misallignment.)

Thanks for the video recommendation.  It helped answer #3.  If the round screen obscures an important button, long-press the power button for 3 seconds, then select the square screen icon at the top. 
I can use this to access those buttons, then switch back to round afterwards.
Awesome!