My experiences after two weeks

I love my Kospet Hope 3/32, it’s ALMOST perfect.

The case is the same as with other Chinese watches: one company somewhere in time made a customized version of Android, and because nobody gives a damn about intellectual property and patents, most of the manufacturers are using the same FW with a few mods.

For example the Finow X7 4G has mostly the same FW as the Kospet Hope:

Their fitness app is superior to the Kospet’s “fitness” app - I wish someone from Kospet would join this forum in the future to give an explanation about their goals and principles.

Things I like after two weeks of every day usage:

• superb battery life; with moderate use the watch can survive 3 days between charges,

• nice and bright display; not the best AMOLED screen I ever saw, but nice enough, plus it has multitouch capability, which is pretty unique amongst these watches,

• the loudspeaker has decent quality, and it’s loud enough to use the watch as a phone or to listen to music on it,

• it has Android 7.1.1, which is better and more futureproof than those Android 4 and 5 watches,

• it really has 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM (or maybe “only” 3/32GiB), so everything is pretty snappy on it,

• the SOC is fast enough for the 400x400 display (almost 15K points on AnTuTu),

• it’s big and hefty, but not uncomfortably,

• it doesn’t have too much bloatware installed,

• it has a lot of connectivity options, and the GPS doesn’t consume too much battery,

• the camera has a surprisingly good quality (not 8MP, but 5MP is more than adequate),

• the Kospet Hope is a pretty cheap smartwatch if you take into consideration its specs - you won’t find a better deal ATM!

Things I don’t like:

• as with a lot of other Kospet Hopes, my display is tilted by 2° or 3°, which is not that annoying, but visible,

• Kospet doesn’t provide real support; a few forum members are trying to discuss the problems with them, but they don’t check this forum,

• the strap is comfortable, but less than my Amazfit Stratos’ strap - I know I could replace the given 24mm strap with a better one, but still,

• the “fitness” app is a joke: this watch could have been a real fitness watch which is also a smartwatch, but since the FW is closed (just like any other real Chinese manufacturers’ proprietary and closed FWs; Chinese people seemingly doesn’t really like open source),

• another line for the “fitness” app: sometimes it’s on-par with my Stratos, sometimes it measures 0.0km after an 8.5km walk, sometimes it even goes below zero (I assume any of you saw this behaviour; believe me, I didn’t walk backwards ),

• the built-in launcher (the same as on most newer watches) isn’t bad, but since the display is so tiny and because it’s round, it would be nice to use a two finger pinch-zoom with all of the apps (it wouldn’t be too hard to implement, but it would help a lot with these miniscule characters),

• the two-pin charger works well, but I don’t like that I have to use a different cable for data communication (which is still on the way to here; anybody got the sim-data cable?); it would have been better to use the same 4 pogo pins as any of the other manufacturers do,

• the factory applied screen protector has a lint under it; this is something I saw in most videos on YouTube, so it’s not a unique case

So I love my new watch, but Kospet could easily step up the game with a bit of collaboration.

Opening the FW would be another big leap towards a brighter future - I’ve tried to persuade a lot of other Chinese makers to cooperate with their users, but they chose to keep their little secrets instead of selling 10x of their actual sales.

What are your opinions?

One thing that I don’t like is the fact that there’s not a sleep monitoring function built in. Or I didn’t find it

The WiFi is also draining a lot of battery in my case, is this normal? Look at the difference with WiFi on and off:

Hello, thanks for the post!
Here are my experiences:
I run the watch with a SIM card, but the battery life is a maximum of 12 hours. Well, I often have 4G “ON” and listen with the app “PCRadio” my favorite radio station on my Bluetooth receiver Sony SBH24. Then 30% of the charge disappears within an hour.
It’s no problem to charge the watch for half an hour a day. Loading is going pretty fast, I think.
I agree with you when you are annoyed about the various cables and I find it difficult to transfer files from the computer to the clock.
I use a very simple dial, it’s black with thin white hour hands, a smooth running red second hand, it has 6 white numbers, the date above, the weekday right and the battery charge below. Every second dial annoys me. I think the clock turns on reliably when I turn my arm, almost like the clock of the bitten apple. Yes, my watch is great, but I’m on the road for two or three hours without a big smartphone and can hear my favorite radio station, that’s not possible with an A. W.!
I am impressed by the good 4G reception performance, which is certainly due to the ceramic case. After two days of use, however, already brought a white dot on the case, I have the point overcoated with a black permanent maker, because everything is OK.
I do not connect the watch to my smartphone, I do not need it, I can handle the keyboard reliably.
Nice would be a customizable interface.
I do not need all the fitness nonsense. Great would be a compass in the clock …

1 Like

I agree with most of your points. I may be the only one but my screen is not tilted. At least not noticeably.

All those watches use the same manufacturer and base software so they are pretty limited in options. From my understanding a ‘new’ fitness app section will get transfered to the watches and it should bring some improvements.

My experience is different with 3G only. I usually get more than 24 hours of stand-by.

Feb 8, 2019 12:12:44 GMT krapulant said:
I agree with most of your points. I may be the only one but my screen is not tilted. At least not noticeably.

All those watches use the same manufacturer and base software so they are pretty limited in options. From my understanding a ‘new’ fitness app section will get transfered to the watches and it should bring some improvements.

My experience is different with 3G only. I usually get more than 24 hours of stand-by.

1.) My screen is almost perfectly positioned, but if you check the minute marks, there is a minor visible tilt.

2.) Let’s hope so! The current ‘Fitness’ app is only called so, it’s far from everything I’ve ever seen on any fitness watch. I had an Amazfit Pace, now I have an Amazfit Stratos (the Kospet Hope has copied most of this watch’s appearance) - the Hope is a lot more powerful, so with a bit of love from Kospet it could be a lot more successful.

3.) 3G is a lot less power hungry than the 4G; I bought an RF radiation meter, and while the 3G only radiates with around constant 35mW, 4G radiates with over 1W sometimes! (That’s why I switched to 3G on my phone instead of 4G. Talking on 3G means 1/30 of the radiation of 4G and GSM.

1 Like
Feb 8, 2019 10:46:36 GMT marioerased said:
One thing that I don't like is the fact that there's not a sleep monitoring function built in. Or I didn't find it

The WiFi is also draining a lot of battery in my case, is this normal? Look at the difference with WiFi on and off:

Are you using a 5GHz connection, or a traditional 2.4GHz one? Because 5GHz can’t penetrate through walls and obstacles as good as 2.4GHz can, if you’re farther from your router your watch has to use more power to keep the connection stable.

Feb 8, 2019 11:43:38 GMT robertb said:
Hello, thanks for the post! Here are my experiences: I run the watch with a SIM card, but the battery life is a maximum of 12 hours. Well, I often have 4G "ON" and listen with the app "PCRadio" my favorite radio station on my Bluetooth receiver Sony SBH24. Then 30% of the charge disappears within an hour. It's no problem to charge the watch for half an hour a day. Loading is going pretty fast, I think. I agree with you when you are annoyed about the various cables and I find it difficult to transfer files from the computer to the clock. I use a very simple dial, it's black with thin white hour hands, a smooth running red second hand, it has 6 white numbers, the date above, the weekday right and the battery charge below. Every second dial annoys me. I think the clock turns on reliably when I turn my arm, almost like the clock of the bitten apple. Yes, my watch is great, but I'm on the road for two or three hours without a big smartphone and can hear my favorite radio station, that's not possible with an A. W.! I am impressed by the good 4G reception performance, which is certainly due to the ceramic case. After two days of use, however, already brought a white dot on the case, I have the point overcoated with a black permanent maker, because everything is OK. I do not connect the watch to my smartphone, I do not need it, I can handle the keyboard reliably. Nice would be a customizable interface. I do not need all the fitness nonsense. Great would be a compass in the clock ...

The pleasure is mine!

4G uses a lot more power than 3G, try to switch to that. Listening to a radio stream / broadcast doesn’t need too much bandwidth.

Yeah, you can charge the watch pretty quick, that’s another plus!

Me neither, the Android app which I’ve tried to use seems to be pretty useless, it would need a lot more polish.

Yeah, a compass would be great - my Amazfit Stratos has a very precise one along with a barometric pressure sensor, so I’ll keep using that watch on my left wrist while using the Hope on my right.

Let’s hope Kospet will iron out the remaining bugs, since this watch has a lot more potential because of the amazing HW!

(First of all a two-finger pinch-zoom would be great to let us zoom on these atomic letters on the screen…!)

Thanks you all for sharing your experiences with me / us!

Hi, I just get the kospet hope. is it normal that only use wifi, the battery drop actively from 100% to 37%. what should I do? im going to use this watch as surveillance watch. I already try catch video but the watch become too hot. I try both way:

1. just using camera for capturing video. from 100% and a few minutes later my watch become hot and suddenly off.

2. with charging the watch using external battery, even 68% the watch also become hot and even charge it the pop up notification said that I should dismantle the charger because high temperature. then also suddenly switch off.

please help.

Feb 9, 2019 11:03:36 GMT adolani said:
Hi, I just get the kospet hope. is it normal that only use wifi, the battery drop actively from 100% to 37%. what should I do? im going to use this watch as surveillance watch. I already try catch video but the watch become too hot. I try both way:
  1. just using camera for capturing video. from 100% and a few minutes later my watch become hot and suddenly off.

2. with charging the watch using external battery, even 68% the watch also become hot and even charge it the pop up notification said that I should dismantle the charger because high temperature. then also suddenly switch off.

please help.

A few minutes from 100% to off seems to be a bit weird. Try to do a factory reset, and if the problem persists, you may have a faulty watch…

About taking videos: try to use Open Camera instead of the built-in app: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

How long does the battery last when you don’t use your watch, it’s just turned on? Around 1%/h is perfectly normal, more than 3%/h means something depletes your battery, or your battery is faulty.

Feb 9, 2019 4:12:09 GMT StormChild said:
Feb 8, 2019 10:46:36 GMT marioerased said:
One thing that I don't like is the fact that there's not a sleep monitoring function built in. Or I didn't find it

Are you using a 5GHz connection, or a traditional 2.4GHz one? Because 5GHz can’t penetrate through walls and obstacles as good as 2.4GHz can, if you’re farther from your router your watch has to use more power to keep the connection stable.

Thanks, I will try a 2.4 GHz connection then! 

3 days between charges! Incredible! I’m assuming you do not have a SIM card installed on the watch? I have managed to get the battery drain to 2.5% per hour with a SIM card installed in straight standby mode. For some reason, I only get 3G service from AT&T at this point, so this could also be helping battery life versus 4G signal. If the screen is on, or anything is being done to the watch, the drain increases dramatically. Also noticed the “always on” watch face is quite bright in my watch, between 1/4 and 1/2 regular brightness level, and this drains the battery incredibly faster.
No battery saving mode, but I auto force close selected apps upon switching off or on the screen.

As for pinch zooming, there might be a way to do that with the Android Accessibility Suite from Google. This software is meant for visually handicapped people, with talk back and zoom functions. I have not messed with the zooming, only the talk back.

I wish they would not put all the markings around the bezel. They are not perfectly lined up with each other, and neither are they lined up with the watch screen itself. Completely useless feature since the bezel does not rotate, or have any sort of scale like an E6B flight computer (or a whiz wheel!).

I have noticed that there is an option in settings for “3rd party app compatibility” which allows more to be displayed on the screen. It works really well, but unfortunately, the corners of the touch screen are not very responsive, which in turn does not allow me to select the corner menu items for any apps. I am going to look into a thin tipped capacitive touch screen stylus to try out. My fingers have always had issues with capacitive touch screens with all the calluses on them.

When charging the watch, it is best to not have any programs running on the watch. I had a download going while charging, and in a very short amount of time, I was getting a battery overheat warning and the watch was quite hot. Threw the sucker in the fridge for a bit, and all was well again. The watch does heat up though when doing anything intensive - once the flashing cable arrives, I am going to root the watch, and try under-clocking the processors to 1Ghz and see the results.

Feb 12, 2019 16:46:13 GMT soontobemember said:
3 days between charges! Incredible! I’m assuming you do not have a SIM card installed on the watch? I have managed to get the battery drain to 2.5% per hour with a SIM card installed in straight standby mode. For some reason, I only get 3G service from AT&T at this point, so this could also be helping battery life versus 4G signal. If the screen is on, or anything is being done to the watch, the drain increases dramatically. Also noticed the “always on” watch face is quite bright in my watch, between 1/4 and 1/2 regular brightness level, and this drains the battery incredibly faster.
No battery saving mode, but I auto force close selected apps upon switching off or on the screen.

As for pinch zooming, there might be a way to do that with the Android Accessibility Suite from Google. This software is meant for visually handicapped people, with talk back and zoom functions. I have not messed with the zooming, only the talk back.

I wish they would not put all the markings around the bezel. They are not perfectly lined up with each other, and neither are they lined up with the watch screen itself. Completely useless feature since the bezel does not rotate, or have any sort of scale like an E6B flight computer (or a whiz wheel!).

I have noticed that there is an option in settings for “3rd party app compatibility” which allows more to be displayed on the screen. It works really well, but unfortunately, the corners of the touch screen are not very responsive, which in turn does not allow me to select the corner menu items for any apps. I am going to look into a thin tipped capacitive touch screen stylus to try out. My fingers have always had issues with capacitive touch screens with all the calluses on them.

When charging the watch, it is best to not have any programs running on the watch. I had a download going while charging, and in a very short amount of time, I was getting a battery overheat warning and the watch was quite hot. Threw the sucker in the fridge for a bit, and all was well again. The watch does heat up though when doing anything intensive - once the flashing cable arrives, I am going to root the watch, and try under-clocking the processors to 1Ghz and see the results.

Yeah, you’re right, I don’t use a SIM card, but 2.5%/h with a SIM installed also great! (Believe me, you don’t want to use 4G on a watch with a miniscule display like this! Plus the 3G radiation is a fraction of 4G’s, which is also a plus for me, that’s why I only use 3G on my phone.)

I had a Z80 "smart"watch a few years ago, it could have been great, but the battery was miscalibrated, the watch has turned off at 30% battery or so. It had a square display - which is better for Android, that’s why an Android Wear ROM would be great! - with a lot less RAM and storage, and it also had a proprietary charger, so after a few months some of the pins got stuck, so I couldn’t really charge it.

I HOPE 

Kospet will stop making a lot more different watches before ironing the remaining bugs out. The Brave has Android 6, so they have to maintain that too - like with Blackview, it’s ALMOST perfect, but Blackview has dozens of phones, so they don’t really maintain the FWs after a short while.

The markings are there to drive you mad when you see that the screen isn’t perfectly alligned (I was lucky, my screen is only tilted by like 2%).

So true, 95% of the time I can’t tap on anything in the corners and my thought was the same as yours.

Yep, better to charge these watches without doing anything on them while charging, that’s for sure!

I’ve ordered 3 USB-to-SIM cables, two of them seems to be of good quality, but one is a bit odd, I think the plastic mould was a bit faulty, so I won’t use that cable, or only after smoothing it with a fine file.

Let’s hope there will be a FW update soon with the revamped Fitness app and with a lot of bugfixes!

1 Like

Quick update: I’ve found an app called Assistive Zoom (root) -> play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiumiu.ca.assistivezoom&hl=en

Seems to be promising, but I have to root my watch first (I already have the necessary cable, but I don’t have too much time before the weekend).

If someone has their watches rooted, please, could you give it a go?

Another app I’ll check out: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sagar.screenshift2

And another one (as a notification to myself): play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jkhddev.mouemu

Feb 9, 2019 4:18:02 GMT StormChild said:

The pleasure is mine!

4G uses a lot more power than 3G, try to switch to that. Listening to a radio stream / broadcast doesn’t need too much bandwidth.

Me neither, the Android app which I’ve tried to use seems to be pretty useless, it would need a lot more polish.

Yeah, a compass would be great - my Amazfit Stratos has a very precise one along with a barometric pressure sensor, so I’ll keep using that watch on my left wrist while using the Hope on my right.

Let’s hope Kospet will iron out the remaining bugs, since this watch has a lot more potential because of the amazing HW!

(First of all a two-finger pinch-zoom would be great to let us zoom on these atomic letters on the screen…!)

Hello, I have tried it, unfortunately, the 3G mobile network is here badly developed, so that the radio stream often breaks off.
When streaming, it does not matter, the battery is empty after two hours, whether 3 g or 4 g.
In addition, it seems to be disadvantageous that the clock has no metal housing, the heat dissipation is slowed down so much.
I also need a solution for the GPS, there is no satellite fix. The satellites are there, but a position determination is not possible.
I reset the clock completely from the software menu after the last update, or is there a hardware reset option?
Where can I find the solution?

Incidentally, my display is correctly aligned.

Edit:

GPS Fix! It seems to work!
Bug fixes as shown here in the forum:
/thread/3010/official-break-support-kospet-hope#ixzz5fajozBIO
Thank you!

Feb 15, 2019 9:27:25 GMT robertb said:
Feb 9, 2019 4:18:02 GMT StormChild said:

The pleasure is mine!

Hello, I have tried it, unfortunately, the 3G mobile network is here badly developed, so that the radio stream often breaks off.
When streaming, it does not matter, the battery is empty after two hours, whether 3 g or 4 g.
In addition, it seems to be disadvantageous that the clock has no metal housing, the heat dissipation is slowed down so much.
I also need a solution for the GPS, there is no satellite fix. The satellites are there, but a position determination is not possible.
I reset the clock completely from the software menu after the last update, or is there a hardware reset option?
Where can I find the solution?

Incidentally, my display is correctly aligned.

Edit:

GPS Fix! It seems to work!
Bug fixes as shown here in the forum:
/thread/3010/official-break-support-kospet-hope#ixzz5fajozBIO
Thank you!

3G is better when there is a nearby tower (less radiation, less power consumption), but in your case the 3G tower is far from you, so the watch has to inrease the transmission power, which means at least as much power consumption as the 4G uses.

The watch can’t have metal housing, because it has its antennas inside the watch body, so a metal case would shield / weaken the signals which means increased power consumption. Most smartwatches has their antennas in their straps meaning stronger signals without the ability of replacing the straps.

I don’t know about a HW reset option, I think you have to use the Factory reset option in Settings.

BTW, no matter how “smart” a smartwatch is, it’s better to be used as a watch and not as a phone replacement.

Yeah, it has 4G, it has 5GHz wifi, it has a lot of RAM/storage, but it’s still a watch with small and round display and a small battery because of the miniature size.

Hi Everyone!
Could someone help me about anti lost alert function? I bought kospet hope few days ago, everything was okey, i connected it to my phone (samsung galaxy s7) via wiiwatch 2. But i dont’t know where i can find the anti lost alert option, or how i can enable it. When i go far away from my phone (more than 20 meters) nothing happen, no notification. So how this anti lost alert function working?
Thanks!

I am struggling with the battery but since turning off the ‘always on’ mode it has improved a lot and I have switched to 2.4GHz wifi and I can’t get 4G on my sim anyway. I was getting before something like 12 hrs with low use now I have more to spare. Could I ask if anyone has done a app recommendation for this watch? I am looking for photo, video, sleep monitoring, a speaking translator apps. The fitness apps on the phone are not really useful to me, is there anyway I can get rid of them? Cheers

Feb 18, 2019 17:34:32 GMT crowsy said:
I am struggling with the battery but since turning off the 'always on' mode it has improved a lot and I have switched to 2.4GHz wifi and I can't get 4G on my sim anyway. I was getting before something like 12 hrs with low use now I have more to spare. Could I ask if anyone has done a app recommendation for this watch? I am looking for photo, video, sleep monitoring, a speaking translator apps. The fitness apps on the phone are not really useful to me, is there anyway I can get rid of them? Cheers

try to calibrate the battery (check capt jon posts on it) i get full 24hrs usage with gps\3g (4g is not needed for smartwatch i do'nt even try to use it) 24\7 usage and so far so good.

about photos and videos can’t help search the forum someone has done one on this. sleeping monitoring i use liflog and senseme works well and no impact on battery life. translator there is one on the watch or just use microsoft or google ones.

i like the watch very well

the music

the wireless file transfer with sweech works great no need for any cables

4g internet all works great the only huge let down is the fitness app cant be so difficult for wiiwatch to upgrade the fitness app with a gps switch for more accurate reading the fitness app dashboard is great too but running 4 km on a track gives me 2.8 km on the hope … why cant anyone at wiiwatch fix this

Feb 25, 2019 13:05:16 GMT glitterfart said:
i like the watch very well

the music

the wireless file transfer with sweech works great no need for any cables

4g internet all works great the only huge let down is the fitness app cant be so difficult for wiiwatch to upgrade the fitness app with a gps switch for more accurate reading the fitness app dashboard is great too but running 4 km on a track gives me 2.8 km on the hope … why cant anyone at wiiwatch fix this

I somewhat agree with you but after looking at the WiiWatch Apps I don't use them. I use WatchDroid. All these watches are not exact in how they operate, so some of the issues could be with your watch.

But you are asking the wrong people. Why not post your requests with the developers in the play store and ask them to improve it.