IQI I3 3G and Sinwear on Android 7.1.1

Just got an I3 a couple days ago and am fairly disappointed so far. The Sinwear app doesn’t like my Google Pixel phone, and if I put a T-Mobile sim into it I only get 2G connectivity. I’m trying to use M2D to at least get notifications via Bluetooth, but the app seems to stop working on the watch after the watch sleeps. Also battery life with the watch basically doing nothing but telling time hasn’t been great, 8-10 hours if I’m lucky (I have been using Eric’s launcher so I can get nicer watchfaces, and see the watchface I choose when I raise my arm rather than seeing the default digital clock so not sure if that’s what’s killing the battery or not). So I have a few questions I hope someone can help me answer:

1. Has anyone had any luck with either Sinwear or some alternative for Bluetooth notifications on Android 7.1.1?

2. Has anyone on T-Mobile actually gotten 3g connectivity with the watch, or for that matter with any US carrier?

3. Has anyone got any tips for increasing battery life to a reasonable level? I already turned off location services and Wi-Fi and I’ve been trying to use Bluetooth notifications without much luck.

Android 7.1.1 is given everybody issues, not just Android watch folks. Wear, Tizen, Pebble users are all reporting issues. Give M2D a try though, you will find it in the apps section.

Tested AT&T on every watch you see supported by the community, including the I3. 

Airplane mode then manually turn on BT. What you have to remember is these watches are not really designed as a companion device or heavy use. They are tiny phones with tiny batteries. As you need to define reasonable level. But before you do, read my post in the “how is your battery life?” thread. Additionally, things like raise to wake, apps, some faces, and even Eric’s launcher affect it. Then again, Eric’ launcher is still in it’s infancy so that’s understandable.

I can only connect to 2G also on T-Mobile. I have contacted T-Mobile and gave the specs and they looked up info on the watch and said it should be working.

I’m actually on project fi using data only sim which uses only T-Mobile towers. Because of this I also contacted Google customer support and tried for an hour with them. They told me it is seeing the signal 3G signal and is just not connecting to it but should be.

I have tried a different sim which is known to work and same result.

I have decided it might be bad software on these watches. I’m pretty disappointed and am seeking a return…

For T-Mo to work correctly you have to be in a 1900mhz refarmed area as none of these watches support T-Mo’s AWS 1700/2100. The APN also has to be correct for it to work. As somebody that has written service/support guides for telecoms, until you get to tier 3 tech support, most are reading from a script.

Now I will say that on very rare occasions a watch will not connect to a carrier that it should connect to, but it is very rare and usually limited to a specific carrier. In the U.S., T-Mo is often a name you see pop up the most. Don’t know what it is, but I’ve seen multiple instances in the past 4 years where a watch will connect to AT&T 1900mhz but never connect to T-Mo 1900mhz. (inject humor) Maybe China just has a thing against magenta colored logos.

Jan 6, 2017 6:18:58 GMT 1 @testaccount said:
Android 7.1.1 is given everybody issues, not just Android watch folks. Wear, Tizen, Pebble users are all reporting issues. Give M2D a try though, you will find it in the apps section.

Tested AT&T on every watch you see supported by the community, including the I3. 

Airplane mode then manually turn on BT. What you have to remember is these watches are not really designed as a companion device or heavy use. They are tiny phones with tiny batteries. As you need to define reasonable level. But before you do, read my post in the “how is your battery life?” thread. Additionally, things like raise to wake, apps, some faces, and even Eric’s launcher affect it. Then again, Eric’ launcher is still in it’s infancy so that’s understandable.

I’ve given up on Sinwear, as I’m seeing issues in multiple posts about it and Android Nougat.  M2D however doesn’t seem reliable, as it seems to work when the watch is ‘awake’, ie the screen is on, and for a short time after but stops working within a minute or two.  If I wake the watch back up sometimes M2D starts working again, but seems to stop working after a minute or so.  Not sure if there’s some setting that keeps the process running that I’m missing or not.

According to the specs I find for the I3 it uses 850 or 2100 for WCDMA which I believe is 3G and according to T-Mobile they use band 4 (1700/2100) for 3G so in this case wouldn’t I want to be in an area that uses 2100 for 3G, not an area that uses 1900 which the watch specs list as GSM (2G)?  Am I reading all this wrong, or are the specs I’m finding online incorrect?

That is the same conclusion I had about the band’s etc f00bar12, which is why I called both TMobile and Google. They both verified the watch should work and verified my coverage.

Not to mention when I turn off the data then back on, it shows full bars of a 3G signal, then project fi connects and shows the Project Fi has 3G signal, then almost immediately drops to 2G.

I also try the watch in different cities where coverage is known good and get the same results.

T-Mo’s 2100mhz 3G REQUIRES 1700mhz 3G to work. 1700 is upstream and 2100 is downstream. These watches don’t support 1700, this means that they will never work on T-Mo’s 2100. The watch may attempt a connection on 2100mhz 3G but without the required 1700mhz 3G support, it will never lock in. So whomever tells you guys that it should work on T-Mo’s 2100mhz, has no clue what they are talking about.

These watches DO support 1900mhz 3G. I know because 1900mhz 3G is the only GSM 3G within 150 miles of where I live.

That explains ALOT. TMobile only has 3G 1700/2100. Their 1900 is 2G… Bummer. Thanks for the info.  Looks like I may have to wait for a watch to come out with 3G 1700/2100 since I’m not switching carriers for a watch.

Why are there no 4G full android chinese watches?  Too expensive or something?

Ok, I think I understand the disconnect between what the watch supports and what T-Mobile offers after reading the comments here, doing some more research, and talking to T-Mobile tech support. The watch supports 3G on a single frequenxy of 2100Mhz. T-Mobile does use 2100Mhz in combination with 1700Mhz which is known as AWS (Advanced Wireless Services). Lokifish had mentioned this in their second post to this thread, but at the time I didn’t understand the difference between AWS and other implementations of WCDMA. The third post by Lokifish reinforces what I now understand about the I3, which is it doesn’t support AWS. So the long and the short of it for me is the watch doesn’t work via Bluetooth reliably and will most likely never work over 3G on T-Mobile because of the lack of AWS support. So, it looks like I’ll be seeking a refund and figuring out what watch I want instead.

Jan 6, 2017 18:27:48 GMT 1 happycamper said:
That explains ALOT. TMobile only has 3G 1700/2100. Their 1900 is 2G... Bummer. Thanks for the info.  Looks like I may have to wait for a watch to come out with 3G 1700/2100 since I'm not switching carriers for a watch.

they actually may start to come soon…

Jan 6, 2017 19:12:43 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Jan 6, 2017 18:27:48 GMT 1 happycamper said:
That explains ALOT. TMobile only has 3G 1700/2100. Their 1900 is 2G… Bummer. Thanks for the info.  Looks like I may have to wait for a watch to come out with 3G 1700/2100 since I’m not switching carriers for a watch.

I hope so because like f00bar12, I’m stuck without being able to use these watches.  Thanks everybody for all your replies.  With all the comments, I’ve been slowly piecing together how this stuff works and what will work with what.  I know it is probably simple for some of you, but I’m so new to it, it’s taking some time.  I try searching (for hours) to find the info, but it’s very cloudy out there.  Lot’s of conflicting things. Even customer support with different carriers, as you’ve seen, has been conflicting.

These comments have really helped to clear things better.  Thanks!

Jan 6, 2017 19:24:02 GMT 1 happycamper said:

Jan 6, 2017 19:12:43 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

I hope so because like f00bar12, I’m stuck without being able to use these watches.  Thanks everybody for all your replies.  With all the comments, I’ve been slowly piecing together how this stuff works and what will work with what.  I know it is probably simple for some of you, but I’m so new to it, it’s taking some time.  I try searching (for hours) to find the info, but it’s very cloudy out there.  Lot’s of conflicting things. Even customer support with different carriers, as you’ve seen, has been conflicting.

These comments have really helped to clear things better.  Thanks!

i’ve mentioned in other thread about a watch that  it think the company of this watch can customize it, try to contact them about it and they also say it is  a tethering watch so…you can try:)  www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-newest-arrival-original-Android-5-1-operation-system-3g-smartwatch-phonewatch-support-wifi-gps-sim/32759919523.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.341.wGu7oH

Thanks. I took a quick look and the specs are missing the crucial 1700/2100 we would need for Tmobile.

When you say they can customize it, are talking about adding the 1700/2100 band? Also, that got me thinking. Why do the watches lack the 1700/2100 band? Is it hardware? Or could firmware be written to be able to utilize it? Probably a stupid question, but still learning.

For light use there is an alternative. If you don’t need a lot of talk time/texts/data, go with FreedomPOP. 200min/200texts/200mb on AT&T 850 or 1900 3G, and all for free. Then use M2D + Heads-Up notifications over cellular and you have something close to an Urbane LTE in functionality at 1/4 the cost.

happycamper
There is T-Mo 1900 3G but it’s coverage is so limited it may as well not exist. And T-Mobile doesn’t even release 2G or 3G maps anymore.

Chinese LTE smartwatches are in the works but we will probably run into the same issue we had with early 3G watches. That being no support for U.S. frequencies. As far as price, I estimate the mid-$200 range when released.

f00bar12
There’s not a single cellular capable smartwatch that supports AWS. So you are kind of stuck with the LG Urbane LTE 2nd Ed. as it supports SIM cards but it will be LTE only connectivity, so coverage will be very limited.

I’m starting to think T-Mo hates cellular smartwatches in general.

Jan 6, 2017 19:35:27 GMT 1 happycamper said:
Thanks. I took a quick look and the specs are missing the crucial 1700/2100 we would need for Tmobile.

When you say they can customize it, are talking about adding the 1700/2100 band? Also, that got me thinking. Why do the watches lack the 1700/2100 band? Is it hardware? Or could firmware be written to be able to utilize it? Probably a stupid question, but still learning.

we all:) yes, since they are the maker of the watch (hopefully will work with us) they can customize the bands, i’ve sent the one who i contact before about the watch and about working with us and hopefully they will confirm it:) i think it is both modem you can flash but you need the hardware to support it. 

Thanks both of you. VERY helpful information.

Jan 6, 2017 19:37:38 GMT 1 @testaccount said:
For light use there is an alternative. If you don't need a lot of talk time/texts/data, go with FreedomPOP. 200min/200texts/200mb on AT&T 850 or 1900 3G, and all for free. Then use M2D + Heads-Up notifications over cellular and you have something close to an Urbane LTE in functionality at 1/4 the cost.

happycamper
There is T-Mo 1900 3G but it’s coverage is so limited it may as well not exist. And T-Mobile doesn’t even release 2G or 3G maps anymore.

Chinese LTE smartwatches are in the works but we will probably run into the same issue we had with early 3G watches. That being no support for U.S. frequencies. As far as price, I estimate the mid-$200 range when released.

f00bar12
There’s not a single cellular capable smartwatch that supports AWS. So you are kind of stuck with the LG Urbane LTE 2nd Ed. as it supports SIM cards but it will be LTE only connectivity, so coverage will be very limited.

Looking into freedompop just now and it appears it uses Sprint?  Am I reading that wrong?

Jan 6, 2017 20:30:36 GMT 1 happycamper said:
Jan 6, 2017 19:37:38 GMT 1 @testaccount said:
For light use there is an alternative. If you don't need a lot of talk time/texts/data, go with FreedomPOP. 200min/200texts/200mb on AT&T 850 or 1900 3G, and all for free. Then use M2D + Heads-Up notifications over cellular and you have something close to an Urbane LTE in functionality at 1/4 the cost.

happycamper

f00bar12

Looking into freedompop just now and it appears it uses Sprint?  Am I reading that wrong?

www.freedompop.com/offer/pennysimaffpromo?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Cranial+Borborygmus&utm_adgroup=8138668&utm_campaign=100%25+Free+Mobile+Phone+Service+w%2F+Over+50%25+off+Top+Brand+SmartPhones

If you do get it, be absolutely sure decline the add-ons and bonus options or you will get a monthly fee.

Thanks. Might try it just to see if I can get this watch on some 3G…

Jan 6, 2017 20:36:13 GMT 1 @testaccount said:
Jan 6, 2017 20:30:36 GMT 1 happycamper said:

www.freedompop.com/offer/pennysimaffpromo?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Cranial+Borborygmus&utm_adgroup=8138668&utm_campaign=100%25+Free+Mobile+Phone+Service+w%2F+Over+50%25+off+Top+Brand+SmartPhones

If you do get it, be absolutely sure decline the add-ons and bonus options or you will get a monthly fee.

wow, that is expensive i pay for only about 15USD for unlimited calls and sms and 12gb data in my country.