I have many questions about firmware and rooting

Firmware issue

I tried to apply firmware after reading the article below, but it continued to fail. It went the same as the description written in the post, but it cannot be updated with an error.

https://discourse.fullandroidwatch.org/t/international-firmware-update-from-sd-card-no-flashtools-for-kospet-prime-2-updated-2021-06-26/62444/613

While reading the comments, I applied it with the following file(D09_2021.05.21.7z), but I’m not sure if it’s the latest, beta, or stable version. (When I look at the post, it doesn’t seem organized)

Android build version says FAW-PRIME2-V01, which looks completely different from the version to say in the post. I wonder which version it is and what the latest stable version is.

TWRP / Rooting issue

I tried to apply rooting after reading the post below, but mega link is died.

D09_2021.05.21.7z is an old beta version which should not be used anymore. For now, I think you should flash back to one of the stock versions from the top post in this thread Kospet Prime 2 Official support UPDATED!
it should be flashed with sp flash tools in firmware upgrade mode. when a new stable version of the international firmware is ready it will likely be posted in a new thread, until then you should stay with stock

I would not advise you to try to root it

4 Likes

Version issues

• Stock version means the pure version supported by the manufacturer?
  • If I want to use D09_2021.05.21.7z(old beta version), there’s no special problem? or do you have any recommendations? I just want to stay in FAW version. Stock version is really bad.
  • What about the FAW firmware? Does international firmware mean FAW? Are you saying it hasn’t been updated yet?

TWRP / Rooting issue

• Why not? I don’t know what kind of structure it is, but isn’t it a typical Android structure?
  • The ultimate purpose of rooting is to delete some system apps. In particular, the charging screen displayed when charging is too annoying.

Thank you for reply

It’s the same as any Android 10 device.
So easy to find on xda etc…
However, I think the bootloader unlock is disabled on the recent firmware.

But you can read up about it and check.

The reason why we don’t discuss this very often is the fact that root on Android 10 system as root is pretty useless and not worth the effort.

Any changes you make will upset the system verity and end up with a bootloop message “system has been tampered with”.
This can only be fixed if you flash the firmware again.

About the D09_2021.05.21.7z(old beta version) - it is no longer available or supported (even if you have managed to download it) and yes it has problems which is why it was discontinued weeks ago.
There is a new beta being tested privately and when it is ready it will be published.

FAW International Firmware Beta Testing Project - is Back! - Announcements - Full Android Watch

FAW firmware is stock firmware that is built from the same stock source by us, in partnership with the Chinese owners. The solutions providers.
They asked us to make it.
It is called the International version because it is specifically built for users that can make full use of Google apps - because in China they can’t.
So it is built using the intended Android structure without customised apps which cause battery drain and security issues.

It is not possible to root it - intentionally.
For the same reasons mentioned above.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply.

I fully understood your intention and read the link that @noidremained reply.

Please check if the following and the arrangements are correct.

• Stock firmware provided by manufacturers is now the same as FAW.
  • Stock firmware offers features such as phone, messages, and contacts directly produced by the manufacturer and the international firmware has replaced these functions with GApps.

Lastly,

In other ROMs, TWRP and Magisk can be installed, allowing to delete or freeze the system or built-in app. If it’s a general Android, I think this device is also possible. If it is difficult to agree on this part, I have a suggestion.

As I said in the above reply, the charging screen displayed when charging is too annoying.
I would like to add a function to deactivate the charging screen provided by the manufacturer. Because the Android lock screen also shows the remaining battery capacity and charging time. When the Android lock screen is unlock while being charging, the charging screen provided by the manufacturer is shown and there is an inconvenience of having to unlock it again by pressing the power button.

I’m not sure because it’s only been a day since I used it, but I think there are many other uncomfortable functions or situations.

Sincerely.

My advice for you is to visit xda developers forum and truly understand what the implications of root with a locked bootloader means - for Android 10 and above.
Once you have researched it you will understand terms like system as root, DMVERITY, and VBMETA mean.
Along with secure boot, full SE LINUX and signature enforcement.

As for Stock vs FAW International firmware

No they are not equal.
Due to the custom apps used in stock firmware - the screen format is different. App resolution is handled differently.

They are currently using a firmware which is a combination of theirs and ours.
It should be perfectly acceptable because it is working quite well.
As you correctly pointed out, most obvious difference is that ours is fully Google based.

I’m not going to get into detail about the rest of the difference because it is pointless until it is released.
Another key point is that the international firmware is not a custom rom.

1 Like

Thank you for answering the continuing questions.

I understood the rooting part. It is not easy to breakdown policies such as secure booting, selinux, and ETC…

In conclusion, I’ll have to wait for international firmware with the latest firmware. But i want to stay in the previous firmware because the stock firmware is too bad.

The special issue with D09_2021.05.21.7z (old beta version) is that you don’t support any more, so is this the latest version you don’t support? If there isn’t, I’ll stay.

You didn’t reply to the last question about the lock screen. What do you think? It’s a function provided by the manufacturer, but it’s not very pleasant. It would be better if the charging screen could be changed at least.

I’m looking forward to it!

Sincerely.

D09_2021.05.21.7z is not the latest version that has been available, but all the versions (apart from this one apparently) has been removed so as to minimize the problems with upgrading that will arise when the new version comes out.

The charging screen has been removed in newer versions

2 Likes

Yeah D09_2021.05.21.7z is from way back in May.

I can’t find where the link is to that version but sharing is not available for it, so I the link no longer works.

If you know where it, please let me know :+1:

2 Likes

I found that I had the link in one of my own posts. I’ve edited it and removed the link already. Can also confirm that if someone should still find the link it now shows the “request access” screen

2 Likes

That’s good to hear that. I can’t wait for international firmware to come out.