How minimal can you run A10 watches?

I’m seriously considering an Android 10 watch to run 2 applications to monitor my blood glucose and control my insulin pump: a patched Dexcom G6 app (BYODA) and AndroidAPS. I am not interested in runnning any other apps on it - just those two. I need bluetooth on and connected all of the time (BYODA gathers blood glucose measurements from a Dexcom sensor/transmitter every 5 minutes and AAPS reads insulin pump status, calculates current and future insulin requirements and sends commands to the pump about every 3 minutes, also communicating with the pump by bluetooth) and would like to use a SIM to upload data to a cloud-hosted database, where I can access it on other devices (as can anyone else to whom I give the address). The data transferred is not much so I think I could live with a 3G data connection, rather than 4g. To maximise battery life, I want to run the watch in the most minimal/low power state possible, subject to my requirements above.

So, my first question is: how many features can I disable? In particular, can I disable the heart rate monitor, pedometer/gyroscope and other sensors?

My second question is: is there a firmware available for the higher-end watches, like the Kospet Prime 2 or Optimus 2, that does not have any Google apps or services and from which ou can easily remove any unwanted default apps and services?

1 Like

I’ll answer the 2nd question at first: deleting apps is quite simple:
-How to delete installed Apps on Android 10

3 Likes

Hi . If you read on this forum the FAW firmware has been modified to get the best battery performance on the Prime 2 and Optimus 2 . Lots of the battery draining rubbish has been removed . Also apps etc can be disabled within settings or removed so you can have running a bare minimum

3 Likes

Thanks Doctor.

I’ve read about the FAW firmware and it seems like a no-brainer but it’s not a de-Googled firmware like, for example, LineageOS, is it? I guess that I can probably get to something close using FAW as a starting point.

Can you still get a bluetooth conection with GPS turned off? Bluetooth requires location services on, doesn’t it?

Thanks! :+1:

You can use Bluetooth while GPS is turned off.

3 Likes

This is something I was looking into as well. My research is what lead me to finding this site!!

Any discoveries/findings that you could share, in regards to your research?