Help! I bricked my KW88 :/

Hi
by beeing not careful enough I managed to brick my smartwatch. I accidentally flashed I4 firmware. Now when I try to flash KW88 firmware it’s stuck at 100% on Download DA and sits there now.
I’m using linux version 5.1712.00 and in the console I see
USB port detected /dev/ttyACM0
BROM connected
Downloading & Connecting to DA…
connect DA end stage: 2, enable DRAM in 1st DA: 0
COM port is open. Trying to sync with target…

and that’s it.
I’d appreciate any help

Thx

edit:

I believe my problems are from bad preloader If I understand all this mess correctly only thing that left for me is to choose “Format + Download”. Am I right? Any other solutions?

Have succeed with last option ?

Did not try it yet. Rough day and night (not the first not the last this week). I’ll try fastboot flash preloader (if it can see this of course) later today. Full format + download is like last option I think.
I’ll let know the effects

Please give me a chance - just got home from work a short while ago

DO NOT TRY ANY FASTBOOT COMMANDS - YOU MAY RUIN THE WATCH.

First thing to do is disconnect the battery and then tell me when you are ready

I managed to recover
Most of the problems where caused by… ModemManager on my laptop (linux). When Watch is in “preloader” mode it introduces itself as a modem and modemmanager interfered with flash tool.
I’ve almost missed that information when digging on the net. As soon as I disabled ModemManager (proper solution is to add udev rules to ignore) I was able to flash preloader and rest of firmware in another go.
And I have fully functioning watch with newest firmware

I must say that those MTK devices are really hard to kill (lucky for me )

(you know what? I’ve always thought that telco are boring and pointless… Looks like not all of them )

May 26, 2017 12:09:57 GMT 1 nameless said:
I managed to recover Most of the problems where caused by.... ModemManager on my laptop (linux). When Watch is in "preloader" mode it introduces itself as a modem and modemmanager interfered with flash tool. I've almost missed that information when digging on the net. As soon as I disabled ModemManager (proper solution is to add udev rules to ignore) I was able to flash preloader and rest of firmware in another go. And I have fully functioning watch with newest firmware

I must say that those MTK devices are really hard to kill (lucky for me )

(you know what? I’ve always thought that telco are boring and pointless… Looks like not all of them )

Ha ha, this is good news mate! I forgot you were using Linux :blush:

pablo11 and this is the first time when it really bit me

I’ll post those udev rules along with small “how to” get away with this stunt later

Thanks, much appreciated

As I wrote earlier because of my stupidity I flashed my KW88 with firmware for different watch (and most probably using bad mode of SP Flash Tool). Flashing went smooth but watch was dead. Black screen, no way of connecting to internal storage, no reaction to buttons. Looked like dead. The only symptom of it not being completely and utterly dead was that my linux box detected it as usb modem device:

[45051.277196] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 21 using xhci_hcd [45051.417775] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0e8d, idProduct=2000 [45051.417780] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 [45051.417783] usb 1-3: Product: MT65xx Preloader [45051.417786] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: MediaTek [45051.479737] cdc_acm 1-3:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Trying to flash proper firmware ended at “Downloading DA” message and red bar at the bottom of SP Flash Tool. It would stay like this for hours.

Now most of linux installation come with software called ModemManager, used for managing modem connections (using external usb modem dongles or built-in modem devices found in laptops). Whenever USB modem is plugged in it tooks hold of it. MTK based devices when powered off are registering as modems (but that’s only a way for comunicating with Flash Tool). Instead of deinstalling ModemManager you can create file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ dir. Name of the file doesn’t matter tho it should start with some two digit number and end in .rules. I named it 10-modemmanager-mtk-blacklist.rules. In it put this:
# KingWear KW88

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0e8d" ATTRS{idProduct}=="2000", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

All MediaTek devices are identified by 0e8d Vendor id. Product id differs between devices. For KW88 in preload state it is 2000 (as can be seen above). When KW88 is fully runing it registers with product id of 2008. If you don’t now product id of your device - don’t worry. Just put:
# All MediaTek devices

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0e8d", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

in the file. Now you need to tell system to re-read those rules

udevadm control --reload-rules

and you’re done.

Now you can launch SP Flash Tool.

Select scatter file from the dir where you unpacked firmware (double check this).

Disconnect and reconnect battery of the watch (so it is 100% off). Do not connect it to computer.

Select “Download all”

Click on “Download” button.

Connect watch to computer.

Wait for magic to be done while observing bar at the bottom of SP Flash Tool window

When firmware is flashed you’ll see green circle with white checkmark in it.

Now you can disconnect the watch and turn it on.

That’s it

source:

linux-tips.com/t/prevent-modem-manager-to-capture-usb-serial-devices/284/2

Hi! I hope, that you read my question :slight_smile: Im at the same situation, like you was. Could you tell me step by step what should I do? Is it works only on linux? Thank you!

No need to post it twice. You will need some patience, this device is not very common anymore. The last post in this thread is 7 years old. If anyone can help, they will get in touch.

2 Likes