Google notifications, assistans and voice commands

Hi all. Great forum! Its nice to see such a large contributing community!
I’m considering buying an Android watch.
There are several questions which I couldn’t figure out yet:

1. Can I use voice commands in the same way I use with my android phone? I’ve read that the “Ok google” detection isn’t available, but does it maintain the functionality of voice commands when the microphone button is pressed (like in android phone).

For example: in my phone, I tap on the microphone and say: “Remind me to buy milk tomorrow morning”. Then “google now” prompt with a reminder screen and retort: “Here’s the reminder, would you like to save it?”. When I answer “yes”, the reminder is set in google calendar.
Another example: After tapping the mic I can ask “what time is it in Miami?” and google’s assistant answer me back with the time.

Will these functionalities be maintained?

1. Will google reminders appear on my watch? What connectivity does it have to have in order to show calendar notifications? Does it require a constant connection, or just to be synced every once in a while? Does it have to have an internet connection, or can it be tethered by bluetooth to my phone?

I didn’t ask about a specific watch model since I assume they operate in the same way for these features. Is my assumption correct?

One last thing, do all watches support multiple-language keyboards (Hebrew, in my case)? I’ve noticed that some sellers mention that on the product’s page and some don’t, even though they represent the same brand.

Thanks everyone!
Perky

Feb 12, 2017 12:36:02 GMT 1 perkywitch said:
Hi all. Great forum! Its nice to see such a large contributing community! I'm considering buying an Android watch. There are several questions which I couldn't figure out yet:
  1. Can I use voice commands in the same way I use with my android phone? I’ve read that the “Ok google” detection isn’t available, but does it maintain the functionality of voice commands when the microphone button is pressed (like in android phone).

For example: in my phone, I tap on the microphone and say: “Remind me to buy milk tomorrow morning”. Then “google now” prompt with a reminder screen and retort: “Here’s the reminder, would you like to save it?”. When I answer “yes”, the reminder is set in google calendar.
Another example: After tapping the mic I can ask “what time is it in Miami?” and google’s assistant answer me back with the time.

Will these functionalities be maintained?

1. Will google reminders appear on my watch? What connectivity does it have to have in order to show calendar notifications? Does it require a constant connection, or just to be synced every once in a while? Does it have to have an internet connection, or can it be tethered by bluetooth to my phone?

I didn’t ask about a specific watch model since I assume they operate in the same way for these features. Is my assumption correct?

One last thing, do all watches support multiple-language keyboards (Hebrew, in my case)? I’ve noticed that some sellers mention that on the product’s page and some don’t, even though they represent the same brand.

Thanks everyone!
Perky

1. the first one is interesting have'nt tried fully only for texting and works great. will try and report. 2. if you mean that google calendar syncs with the watch then yes, but you need to install it on the watch too to get notifications. no, you need 3g or wifi or bt tethering via M2D. well... i think the finow watches are more preferable in my opinion. 3. yes, i also need Hebrew and it works fine but i use TouchPal Keyboard.

Feb 12, 2017 17:40:53 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:
2. if you mean that google calendar syncs with the watch then yes, but you need to install it on the watch too to get notifications. no, you need 3g or wifi or bt tethering via M2D. well… i think the finow watches are more preferable in my opinion.
3. yes, i also need Hebrew and it works fine but i use TouchPal Keyboard.

Hi! 1. this is an awesome feature, you should try it even with your phone. I tell it to do lots of stuff. Try asking "What is 42" or some crazy questions like this. If the watch can do the same as the phone can - I'd be overjoyed (Shut up and take my money!). 2. Can all watches do that through BT tethering, or only Finow? Why are they more preferable? 3.

Does gBoard work as well? Best keyboard app in my opinion

Feb 12, 2017 20:14:00 GMT 1 perkywitch said:

2. if you mean that google calendar syncs with the watch then yes, but you need to install it on the watch too to get notifications. no, you need 3g or wifi or bt tethering via M2D. well… i think the finow watches are more preferable in my opinion.
3. yes, i also need Hebrew and it works fine but i use TouchPal Keyboard.

Hi! 1. this is an awesome feature, you should try it even with your phone. I tell it to do lots of stuff. Try asking "What is 42" or some crazy questions like this. If the watch can do the same as the phone can - I'd be overjoyed (Shut up and take my money!). 2. Can all watches do that through BT tethering, or only Finow? Why are they more preferable? 3.

Does gBoard work as well? Best keyboard app in my opinion

1.thanks for the advice. 2. yep. 3. will try and see:) love the TouchPal because Hebrew works great with it , not many keyboard support Hebrew so it is'nt easy to find there is the OneTouch keyboard which is perfect for these smartwatches but does'nt support Hebrew.
  1. Yes, gBoard works as well (on my Finow X5+)

1. the first one is interesting have’nt tried fully only for texting and works great. will try and report.

Hi,
Any feedback from trying?

Ouch, I misread that in the initial reply of SoniaSophie:

1. -> Google Now voice command works great, I can set up the alarm clock by askingto wake me up over 1 hour, got weather info. Didn’t try settings change though.

Okay to complete the things

2 -> google reminders appear via bt indeed, also directly since I have aCalendar installed. Love it.

Feb 13, 2017 22:13:00 GMT 1 perkywitch said:

1. the first one is interesting have’nt tried fully only for texting and works great. will try and report.

Hi,
Any feedback from trying?

have’nt tried yet:) will do this weekend and report:)

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
I went and ordered a Domino DM368

Just got the DM368.
How do you guys initiate the voice command in google now?

In my smartwatch, I first have to start the Google browser, only then the OK Google command works, unfortunately. Also, again on the 5+, there is a dedicated microphone app, which cannot be started by voice, unfortunately.

I know it is an old thread but i prefer post here than open a new one, i cant make google assistant to work on my watch and no i havent reset my watch cos it is toooo much work to set it up all again😓. Does anyone know a good voice command app that works also when screen is off? On a watch it is easier to navigate with voice assistant than typing. Thanks for any help😊

1 Like