Genesis no network with activated SIM

So, wanted to try the Genesis with a phone service. Just playing, so I created an account with pre-paid USMobile. Got the sim in, activated the card, Inserted into watch. Seems the Genesis acknowledges the sim is inserted (as the icon goes from X’ed out to signal bars). Seems great so far, however, attempted to make a phone call and says I have cellular network not available

Now, I am confused. I get to the “connect icon under settings” and see that I am suppose to “register”? my watch with a network? I thought all this was taken care of at the sim level, BUT I suppose the network needs to register my ESI number or something. I search for a network operators AND select a perfered network 4G etc. , it comes up with USmobile and I have three options. Select automatically, USmobile, and USMobile forbidden (which I assume is Verizon’s network and will not work with watch.

I first try select automatically…FAILS TO REGISTER. I then select the only network option apparently available to me and it…FAILS TO REGISTER. Do a search again for networks and not I get TWO forbidden networks and still only one that might work, Still no registration possible. I am lost. Thought this would be simple, its not in the least.

Sometimes you have to manually update the APN information in the watch. It is one of the options under cell network, “Access point names.” You get the required information from the carrier usually it is on their web site. I use Speed Talk sim cards that run on T-Mobile’s network. They email me the APN infomation to enter.

I have unlimited 4G vodafone and T-Mobile accounts here in NL. Both Sim cards work flawlessly in watch and phone.
Both are 4G accounts but T-Mobile is 4G+ which gives me 300 MBs down and 150 MBs UP .Vodafone gives me 150 MBs down and 60 MBs Up speeds

I get 2G connection with my Speed Talk Sim Cards with T-Mobile. I run my watch on 2G to help decrease battery useage unless I need a faster connection. It uses the lowest setting available. T-Mobile is suppose to offer 2G through this year.
Not sure this helps his problem.

Okay, so I discovered my problem. Since the Android watch is not verizon certified, it will not run on a verizon network (this much I understood). However, the GSM network USMobile uses is T-Mobile and T-Mobile is completley useless as a cell phone provider. Absolutely no service in my area. Problem was USMobile offered no service maps on their website, AND did not disclose what networks they used. I had to call them and complain. To their credit, the did offer to refund my money without my asking. KNOW THAT THEY SAY, IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE…

Clarification for the benefit of others. “T-Mobile is completely useless as a cell phone provider.” That may be true in your area but I find T-Mobile to be excellent in N FL where I live. I have Speed Talk T-Mobile sims in 3 of my watches. Can connect 2G, 3G or 4G. AT&T my phone carrier’s service is ok but spotty in some areas.

All of my little country is 4G coverage now and the whole country has been laid with fiberoptic . BTW, T-Mobile is German owned

I believe the US has universal 4G coverage also, 5G in some areas. T-Mobile I believe is the only US carrier still offering 2G coverage. This is adequate for making voice phone calls and texts and uses less battery than 3G or 4G and is often used in GPS trackers and kids watches and other devices that don’t need 3G/4G, because of that.

I stated that in my post, I thought, rather succinctly and in its own statement. That it was useless in my area as a cell phone provider.

I have T-Mobile Plus which is in between 4G and 5G. very fast. 5G is being installled here everywhere also but 4G+ is fast enough for me.
Some places in the USA still have dial up. I know because I am EX American and lived in the USA for 35 years.

What does 4G unlimited cost in the USA? It costs me 25 euros a month plus I get unlimited call in Europe and to USA for an extra 10 euros a month. Total 35 Euros

4G calling is crystal clear on the watch to my brother in the USA. He said he couldn’t believe I was calling him from my watch.

It depends on the carrier and the plan you have. I am on my daughters AT&T family plan, she lives in a different state. Because AT&T owns Direct TV and she has Direct TV, her plan includes Data Free DirectTV on all devices. So to try and make a $$$ comparison is hard to do when plans here vary so much. Unless you just compared two basic plans that offered only phone service.

Calm down all . The sun is shining :wink:

2 Likes

Wow… Thanks for cleaning this up…

1 Like