Good day to all, thanks for your hard work. I don’t know if this is the right place to post this.
I have one of those new smartwatches with the SL8541E chip, and as has been stated, they are not supported here for some very good reasons. Sadly, for some like myself, buying this kind of stuff it’s the only way to get affordable tech useful to us. So i’d like to share what I have done to make one of these smartwatches useful for my routines.
I bought the smartwatch with the hopes of:
- Running with it and record my route using GPS while listen to music, without carrying my smartphone
- Having a SIM card so my wife can call me while I’m running
My model, 1+16 setup, works great in those 2 aspects, but I wanted more, so I have achieved:
- Making it turn on screen when I shake my wrist
- Having “automatic brightness”
- Using it connected to my smartwatch for notifications
- Overcome (kind of) the aggressive battery saver system
And to get that working, I’m using Tasker and it’s plugins SecureTask and Lux.
Making it turn on screen when I shake my wrist:
I ask Tasker to detect the shake from my wrist while the screen is off. When the conditions are met, Tasker fires the SecureTask plugin to turn the screen on. A very high sensitivy will use more battery, so I configured it to work with a little shake
Having “automatic brightness”:
Related to the previous point, when turning on the screen, Tasker also fires the Lux plugin, which reads light conditions taken from the camera on the screen (becase the device doesn’t have a light sensor) and adjust the brightness of the device accordingly. This can cause more battery consumption but it’s great to know that you don’t have to struggle to see the time under direct sun.
Using it connected to my smartphone for notifications:
This is very knew here: Installing Watchdroid in both the smartwatched and the smartphone gets the two in communication.
Overcome (kind of) the aggressive battery saver system:
This is very tricky, and I hope someday I would be able to root this device (I haven’t found yet an original firmware file from the device to overcome this), so for now this is the best I can achieve. If someone know how to overcome this, I’d be really happy to know it.
In these devices, after some minutes with your screen off, all the background apps are closed except the system apps. So I have configure in Tasker that each 5 minutes, the smartwatch does the following:
- Make appear a Pop-Up completely black over all the screen (This turns on the screen but you barely notice it because it’s black).
- While showing the black Pop-up that make it look like the screen is off, Tasker opens Watchdroid, SecureTask, Lux in the background.
- The screen turns off after 7 seconds
All that steps make the device “refresh” the apps in the background so it mostly avoids that get closed.
I’d really love to know if someone as achieve the same results but with better ideas or more technical knowledge.
I hope this helps.