Finow Q7 Plus Locked Bootloader Help Request

Hardware : MT6580M

Model : Q7 PLUS

Build number : LMY47I test-keys

Build date UTC : 20170913-094159

Android v : 5.1

Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1449.MD.WG.MP.V20, 2015/12/03 19:50

Kernel v : 3.10.72+ (sw04@PowerEdge-R710-01) (gcc version 4.8 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 17:51:00 CST 2017

I just got this watch, and have the proper drivers installed. I can connect to SP Flash Tool, and MTD Droid Tools, …but it looks like the bootloader is locked from the factory! I am stuck on this one. Have tried some ADB/Fastboot commands (OemUnlock), but it just hangs waiting for the “Volume Up” confirmation. Well the watch shows nothing in Bootloader mode. I mean the screen is just black with no writing. Recovery mode just lists test commands. I don’t have a volume up button on the watch, so I get stuck with Oem Unlock! I really want to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP to the recovery partition, then boot into Recovery to flash SuperSu for ROOT. Seems like the new MT6580 Soc has a lot of different parameters, and security on it. Well, I just had to have a newer chip, ****! Been on this for a couple of days now, and it’s making me nuts.

Also: Very few things working in MTD Droid Tools.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. -Jay

Dec 3, 2017 20:00:14 GMT 1 techaddict said:
Hardware : MT6580M

Model : Q7 PLUS

Build number : LMY47I test-keys

Build date UTC : 20170913-094159

Android v : 5.1

Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1449.MD.WG.MP.V20, 2015/12/03 19:50

Kernel v : 3.10.72+ (sw04@PowerEdge-R710-01) (gcc version 4.8 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 17:51:00 CST 2017

I just got this watch, and have the proper drivers installed. I can connect to SP Flash Tool, and MTD Droid Tools, …but it looks like the bootloader is locked from the factory! I am stuck on this one. Have tried some ADB/Fastboot commands (OemUnlock), but it just hangs waiting for the “Volume Up” confirmation. Well the watch shows nothing in Bootloader mode. I mean the screen is just black with no writing. Recovery mode just lists test commands. I don’t have a volume up button on the watch, so I get stuck with Oem Unlock! I really want to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP to the recovery partition, then boot into Recovery to flash SuperSu for ROOT. Seems like the new MT6580 Soc has a lot of different parameters, and security on it. Well, I just had to have a newer chip, ****! Been on this for a couple of days now, and it’s making me nuts.

Also: Very few things working in MTD Droid Tools.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. -Jay

you can actually send the volume up command with adb

try adb oemumlock

and if he asks for the volume confirmation try:

adb shell input keyevent “KEYCODE_VOLUME_UP” (just copy paste this command)

or

adb shell input keyevent 24

Hey Seb84, Thank you for your response. The “adb shell input keyevent 24” command does get a tone from the watch, but the “adb oemunlock” doesn’t do anything. I think I have to be in the watches bootloader mode to use “fastboot oem unlock” to get it into the process,…but the problem I am having with your suggestion is that fastboot oem unlock just hangs with “…” awaiting the volume up confirmation, and will not accept any additional commands from adb. I do thank you for taking the time to give me the suggestion, but I am truely disgusted with MTK, or Finow for not putting a functional bootloader gui into the watch system! This watch doesn’t even have a decent functional recovery mode in it. All I get with recovery is an off center test menu! The main reason I want to unlock the bootloader is to fix all these horribly short, and apathetic incompetent shortcomings in the software on the watch. BTW: I have ordered a Finow X5 Air through GearBest, and if they ever ship it I will be trying the same with it. If it proves to be missing as much of the android system as this Q7…I will be done with Finow forever! That is if GearBest ever gets off their asses and ships my X5 Air.

Dec 14, 2017 21:37:22 GMT 1 techaddict said:
Hey Seb84, Thank you for your response. The "adb shell input keyevent 24" command does get a tone from the watch, but the "adb oemunlock" doesn't do anything. I think I have to be in the watches bootloader mode to use "fastboot oem unlock" to get it into the process,...but the problem I am having with your suggestion is that fastboot oem unlock just hangs with "..." awaiting the volume up confirmation, and will not accept any additional commands from adb. I do thank you for taking the time to give me the suggestion, but I am truely disgusted with MTK, or Finow for not putting a functional bootloader gui into the watch system! This watch doesn't even have a decent functional recovery mode in it. All I get with recovery is an off center test menu! The main reason I want to unlock the bootloader is to fix all these horribly short, and apathetic incompetent shortcomings in the software on the watch. BTW: I have ordered a Finow X5 Air through GearBest, and if they ever ship it I will be trying the same with it. If it proves to be missing as much of the android system as this Q7...I will be done with Finow forever! That is if GearBest ever gets off their asses and ships my X5 Air.

hm. i really understand you. with te x5 air you should have more luck (i had the lem5 =finox x5 w618 chipset (same as pro/air)) andthey have the same issues, but you can get twrp working and after that it will be a lot easier.

i hated in the menu that aceessibility wasn’t available… but you can fix that with tasker or e-robot…
overall there are a lot of small issues on all of these watches. sloppy programming…

i swithed by ow to the lg urbane 2. better battery life and same functionality in general.  but android wear has other limitations and its hard to get all aps to work that i need. so in the end all solutions in this area (smartwatch) are still not that what it should be (a full phone replacement on the wrist) and needs a lot of wor and time…

ui… and i just saw i mixed adb and fastboot… sure it should be fastboot oem unlock and adb will not work in the following…

on fastboot i don’t know if there is any possibilty to skip this with the volume buttons. you might look at this here:

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/unlock-bootloader-gt-i9250-wipe-root-t2016628/post41612401#post41612401

i think if this not helps you, there will be no way

Thanks again, seb84.

Your last post took me to some interesting reading. It will take me some time to get a grasp of that concept. It has been a long while since I did any Hex editing stuff, and that was on some seem files for an old Motorola e-815 cell phone! You have me going into a good direction.

Even if it can’t get my goal accomplished with the Finow Q7 Plus,…it does give me a direction to get more knowledge that I will surely find a use for later. Much Appreciation to you!

Dec 15, 2017 15:34:00 GMT 1 techaddict said:
Thanks again, seb84.

Your last post took me to some interesting reading. It will take me some time to get a grasp of that concept. It has been a long while since I did any Hex editing stuff, and that was on some seem files for an old Motorola e-815 cell phone! You have me going into a good direction.

Even if it can’t get my goal accomplished with the Finow Q7 Plus,…it does give me a direction to get more knowledge that I will surely find a use for later. Much Appreciation to you!

yeah very old i now, but the only thing i found considering ulocking without vol keys. also i think it was android 4.1 if i’m not wrong, so not so far from the watches (5.1? q7 too or not?). and like you say, interesting reading anyway.

Gave up on the Q7 Plus for now.
Cancelled the order with GearBest (GearWorst) for the X5 Air (Still showed as processing after 18 days! Not Shipped)
Went to BestBuy and Bought the Garmin Fenix 5X on sale for $599.99. I know, a lot of money, but it sure is a nice GPS, and Waterproof watch. Maybe take a look at it if you’re looking for something Big, Rugged, and Well Made.

It is a lot of money for this type of watch… But everybody has their own priorities.
By far that q7plus is still on top of my list. If I was not patient enough I would have got myself one already:
   frequency: yeah 
   sweat: yeah
   battery: yeah
   camera: yeah
to sum up, well at lot of yeah

I am sorry to hear from you techaddict … and happy at the same time, at least we would hear from you how long does the battery stand with gps 100% another day…

Well what killed my love for the Q7 Plus was when I took the back cover off to disconnect the battery for hacking reasons, and one of the plastic screw eyelets broke off without any force. It was likely cracked just from assembly at the factory. Just too shoddy for me. If you ever do buy a smart watch, then at least the Finow X5 Air has a better display resolution (400x400), more ram (2Gb), better data connection, and a stainles steel construction of the case, and back. The Q7 Plus is copper case with chrome plating, and a cheap plastic back. Just some things to consider for you.

You are right about the screen resolution and the quality of the watch in general… well, where is perfection when you need it: the x5air does not have the frequencies I need.

I suspect that there may be a way to enable some additional cellular frequencies in the watch. It takes some research, but a few years ago I added a bunch of LTE, and Gsm bands/frequencies to my Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone by using Qualcomm QXDM and QPST. Of course the smartwatches mostly use MTK Soc’s not Qualcomm, but there may be a similar method for the MTK chipped watches. I would not be surprised to eventually see that the MTK Soc’s had the additional radio capabilities because there are a lot of cellular phones available with the MTK Soc’s. It is probably a legal, licensing issue that forces MediaTek to hide, or dissable the additional capabilities in their chips being sold to smart watch manufacturers. Here is a link to the original thread that I used to add the extra bands to my cellular. Might give you a direction to try a few things, but keep in mind it is for the Qualcomm chips, not the MTK Soc’s. Perhaps there is something similar in software for the MTK chips.

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/general/how-to-add-rf-lte-frequency-bands-to-t2886059

Thank you for the hint. I have already read a lot about the process of changing frequencies on qualcomm devices. But for mtk chips, it is different: right now as fas as I know nobody can figure it out… Yes I think also that right now mtk does not have the proper licenses for selling along with certain frequencies. It might just be the same with the 4G watches, who knows…

Dec 21, 2017 5:02:51 GMT 1 techaddict said:
Gave up on the Q7 Plus for now. Cancelled the order with GearBest (GearWorst) for the X5 Air (Still showed as processing after 18 days! Not Shipped) Went to BestBuy and Bought the Garmin Fenix 5X on sale for $599.99. I know, a lot of money, but it sure is a nice GPS, and Waterproof watch. Maybe take a look at it if you're looking for something Big, Rugged, and Well Made.

Funny. I havd a bad experience with my ordered Garmin. This was the watch, that never got shipped (but I ordered also at some strange shop, that was offering it cheaper.) But I will also look for a 5X again. They are just nice. They now sell it also here nere locally, so I think I will grab one next time in the Mega Bangna (near my work)