FAWs and (digital) minimalism

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum and would first of all like to thank everyone for the tremendous amount of work that has been put into this forum and its resources! One of my main motivations for getting a FAW (Optimus 2) was reducing screen time, as well as decluttering (love the idea of not having a phone in my pocket).

Thus, I am curious to hear what you guys’ experience with FAWs and digital minimalism has been like? There is this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/smartwatch/comments/t7dcrm/using_smartwatch_as_a_phone_for_three_months/) which played quite a role in motivating me to get the Optimus 2 and redirected me to this forum.

Does your experience relate to the one in that post? How has your life changed since you made the switch? I am hoping to get more peace of mind now that I’ve replaced my phone :smiley:

Cheers from Belgium!

2 Likes

Immensely better - no doubt about it, can’t go back once you make the switch!!!

2 Likes

Most FAW users would agree to using both devices at different times or together depending on their own needs. Now that the battery life is amazing i for one use my watches more and more . And lets not forget the fun of creating and downloading clockskins .

5 Likes

That sounds like a realistic approach to minimalism, I bought a Surface tablet to combine my smartphone and laptop usage and save my FAW for the basic necessities. And yes, the clocksin community seems amazing here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome, I hope so too!! Can’t wait to get to trust level 2 so I can get rid of the bloatware and have the best FAW experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey hey, hardcore smarwatch user here :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a Kospet Optimus 2 (128gb), which I use for everything except Instagram. While It can be challenging to get used to such small screen, having no smartphone feels like a psychological relief.

Before buying my watch I used to stare at my phone several times a day, you know, stuff like scrolling endlessly on social media, youtube, etc. It was addicting. Today I can concentrate only on important things like answering whatsapps from my family/job/etc, checking emails when I actually get a notification :P. Form factor makes you want to check your watch only when you have to do some stuff, not everytime and everywhere. I see people walking on streets looking down their phones and I think to myself how could I be wandering around looking at a screen and not the whole world around.

But that’s just me. I love minimalism.

9 Likes

Love the feedback, thanks! The positive ‘side effects’ you mention are exactly what I hope to achieve with this watch. Got a glimpse of that today as I finally switched all my apps over to my Optimus and went out, I had to use it to get directions, pay for my parking, wire transfer some money and send a document. So stoked that I was able to do it on such a small device; however like you said, it’s great to know that the possibility is there but to leave it to ‘urgent’ matters. I feel like the experience is perhaps 90% similar to that of a dumbphone but without the stress or inconvenience of the lack of modern functionality. My dream is for the bigger brands to realize that there is a market for fully standalone watches and put some resources into it… like a glorified Apple Watch Ultra. Good luck on your minimalism journey my friend :wink:

4 Likes

The main goal for me is I can go run out without a cellphone and still keeping connected with my family, and it’s perfect tracking my GPS location or biometrics when running. Also for taking pictures (got a Lemfo LEMP, wich does have a perfect camera disposition for that), video callings, or listen some music when I’m traveling, exercising, etc. Really, REALLY love this watch, I had to decide between LEMP or tic watch pro 3 ultra but finally I realize that Lemp was better for me and even think any FAW it’s better 'cause you can install any app on them, taking pictures, make video calls and all of that stuff you can’t do with the tic watch or others wear os watches.

2 Likes

I honestly will never be able to use fully my watch as my main phone for me it is just an extension to my phone, i dont use any social media , i had FB as i am amimals activist but deleted it as i noticed it doesnt serve the purpose i thought it would. I mainly use my phone for calls, emails, office documents, even the camera i use for work stuffs. I always loved digital watches and always wanted the new innovative ones, that is how i got into smartwatches and then got hooked for the FAWs ones:))

4 Likes