Can Patreon be used?

Is it worth investigating the use of Patreon to enable ongoing donations to the Forum? I am no expert at how Patreon works, but from what I know it allows people to pledge a nominated amount to be forwarded to a given person or website on a monthly basis. I only put forward this suggestion as Pablo said that Paypal donations of $2-00 or less are eaten up in Paypal fees. Now I do know that a number of Utube channels ask people to become a Patreon for as little as $1-00 a month…so obviously the fees must be much lower than what Paypal charge? So is this worth looking into @pablo11 or @G1NT0N1C or @Dr_Andy_Vishnu ? Anyway, it’s just a thought on another way to help contribute to the Forum. Cheers, Doons

Patreon website

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing me to that. I will check it out. Thank you, @Doonsbury!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks.
Interesting idea. As G says - we’ll look into this :+1:
Cheers.

2 Likes

Hope it proves to be helpful Pablo. I was trying to think of a way that members could make small, but regular donations. Because that would have 2 great benefits 1) It would allow almost every member to contribute…a dollar a month shouldn’t bust anyone’s bank…and 2) It would mean a regular flow of monthly funds to the forum, rather than spasmodic and widely spaced donations. If you could rely on a regular flow of donations, then it would possibly enable you to plan ahead a little more. Anyway, I hope you can make some use of it mate. Cheers, Doons

3 Likes

It definitely sounds like a good idea :+1:
We will be looking into various mechanisms for achieving this goal.
This sounds promising and worth investigating.
Thanks again.
Pablo11.

3 Likes

patreon good for you tube creators. I dunno how far a community on the web would have the reach?

I’ve checked out Patreon. Unfortunately, it does not work for us because Patreon considers the copies of original faces on our site as copyright infringements.
They have even stricter guidelines on this point than we do.

3 Likes

Ok G1N, thanks for taking the time & trouble to look into it mate. :+1: It was just an idea I had and it is just a shame it wasn’t any use to us. But you guys know me…and no one (Not even me!:woozy_face::laughing:) knows what I’ll come up with next but I’d like to keep exploring something along the lines of Patreon, because it provides regular donations…which I think will be the best benefit to the Forum. Anyway I’ll keep looking around for anything that may help the Forum. But thanks again mate! :+1: Cheers, Doons

1 Like

Was this ever decided on? i think it’d be cool to support the page and maybe even give perks to those who support.

Since not only own faces are published here but also copies of well-known brands, Patreon cannot be used. This is against Patreon’s Terms of Service.
However, it is possible to send us a donation via PayPal. This works via the donate button on the start page. However, we realize that Paypal is not available everywhere.

3 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

Is there anything that comes with being a donator? (asking more so for the idea of bringing more fun to the forums here) maybe custom emojis, banners, or like a rank up from basic?

Yes , peace of mind we are eternally grateful :grin: . Dont know if anyone would believe this but even us Mods have donated to keep this forum alive :+1:

4 Likes

Well I for one believe it @Dr_Andy_Vishnu ! I know what you guys put in to this forum in the way of your own time! Thats why I suggested the idea of Patreon way back…and why I also have donated to the forum…as a way of helping it stay alive and a small thanks for al the work @pablo11 & @G1NT0N1C & @Dr_Andy_Vishnu & @Eric_Crochemore and any other mods I may have missed do! And of course all those members who give us those splendid watch faces! As for @Nick_P suggestion that there be some special reward or perks for donating…Sweet Jesus! The people on this forum give enough to other members in the way of all the time and effort they put in to creating all those splendid watch faces…absolutely free! What more do you want? Cheers, Doons

4 Likes

Um…im not sure how what i said as an idea got misconstrued as “im demanding more work”

im not really asking for more im just offering ideas for the sake of server fun because i saw the post (I mention that in the post) so im not understanding the question of “what more do you want”.

Typically people are more inclined to donate when theres more incentives. I get the amount of work thats being done here, I appreciate it and im not downplaying it by offering an idea-- if its not feasible then I understand that but im not telling anyone “I want more work”.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I guess.

2 Likes

@Nick_P Ok I am prepared to put it down to a misunderstanding. I never said anywhere in my post that you were “Demanding more work” so that statement is incorrect. My question “What more do you want”? Is quite simple…On the Forum members get FREE watch faces (And can even request that a certain face be made!) and they get FREE advice on any subject connected with FAW’s. There are ranks above Basic, all it takes is time and a little patience to get to them. In my opinion it is worth donating to the Forum simply for the free faces and information that is already provided. Cheers, Doons

2 Likes

It’s ok @Doonsbury, I understand the incentive behind the comment that @Nick_P made.
It’s understandable and I’m not taking it as a negative comment.
It’s reasonable to have incentives for people who wish to donate.
However, it’s not straightforward for us to implement.

It would have to be “publicly” acknowledged that a member had donated and what privelige was given for it.
This is how it would have to be if we offered a donation “reward” system.

Unfortunately there are only four of us.
3 in the opposite time zone to mine.
We all have families and regular employment.
Basically it’s the same old story… It’s a nice idea but we don’t have the resources to manage it.

We need donations, full stop.
But, because asking for donations is a subject that can cause serious problems, we have adopted to allow advertising.
This is what keeps us alive as a forum.
Trust me, the advertising does not always cover our running costs though.
We donate our own personal funds if / when we can, to keep the balance.

We may seem like grumpy old buggers (and we can be :sweat_smile:) sometimes, but we have a passion for this and have been doing it for 9 years now. On free platforms until it was no longer possible (XDA, Google +, RASC tech forum etc).
Now it’s no longer free to provide this, but we are still here for everyone.
Speaking plainly, I hope that people feel that this platform for Android Watches is worth donating for.
Currently without a personal reward.

@Nick_P I still think it’s a reasonable idea, but we are currently not in a position to do it.
On a positive note, I suspect that there will be a couple of new devices soon, and next year I have a feeling that we might see something more radical :ok_hand::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::+1::handshake:

Apologise for the long post.
Cheers
Pablo11.

5 Likes

@pablo11 Man, that was a long post! :crazy_face: But it’s ok mate because @G1NT0N1C gave me a wake up call just in case i dozed off in the middle of it! :rofl: Ok Pab…yes a long post, but one well worth taking the time to read because it had some quite important points in it! Thanks for the clarification Pab! Cheers, “Doons! Wake up! Pablo is talking”!! :rofl: Doons

2 Likes