Building app/UI tutorials

Hi all

New in the world of smartwatches. Bought a thor and didn’t know fully the differences between android, wear, tisen etc.

Being ever the optimist I thought it would be easy to side Load apps etc. How was I wrong.

I love the functionality of pure android smartwatches but a lot of the apps aren’t really round display (often clipping buttons in corners etc).

Are there any good tutorials on making round apps or interfaces? Most of the wear and tisen apps look to have had time spent on making them for the device whereas thesmartwatch apps are more trying to fit full android apps on a watch.

I can see a lot of work going into these forums and I would really like to start somewhere and if one person likes one thing I have built then I would be happy.

Aug 8, 2017 0:02:49 GMT 1 aronclarke7 said:

thanks:) and welcome to the forum:))

There’s no such tutorial. I use Android studio and try to keep everything visible on a round display. You can look at my calculator for example.
Welcome

Aug 8, 2017 7:31:41 GMT 1 ricktop said:
There's no such tutorial. I use Android studio and try to keep everything visible on a round display. You can look at my calculator for example. Welcome

Thanks Ricktop/SoniaSophie

I’ll be honest my coding is very rusty but I still keep on top of my crea5ive suite techniques so will try to dedicate more time where I can.

I would love to see the dim option (night mode) added to the launcher, Ricktop would this be an option?

Aug 9, 2017 0:50:24 GMT 1 aronclarke7 said:
Aug 8, 2017 7:31:41 GMT 1 ricktop said:
There's no such tutorial. I use Android studio and try to keep everything visible on a round display. You can look at my calculator for example. Welcome

Thanks Ricktop/SoniaSophie

I’ll be honest my coding is very rusty but I still keep on top of my crea5ive suite techniques so will try to dedicate more time where I can.

I would love to see the dim option (night mode) added to the launcher, Ricktop would this be an option?


By Dim, you mean that you want a brightness controlled depending on the time of the day ? 
That could be done, and it’s done on some watchface, but not very useful, the real need would be to have a light sensor on the watch to achieve this…

ricktop:

do you have your launcher in an git repo or something? I’m planning to create a live wallpaper where you could set the clockwatchfaces. so that one could use a launcher like novalauncher and still would have the normal clockface with all you need on the screen. (on an then blank screen )
But i don’t know how to handle the watchfaces etc.

Oct 17, 2017 10:02:50 GMT 1 Exellent said:ricktop :

do you have your launcher in an git repo or something? I’m planning to create a live wallpaper where you could set the clockwatchfaces. so that one could use a launcher like novalauncher and still would have the normal clockface with all you need on the screen. (on an then blank screen )
But i don’t know how to handle the watchfaces etc.


Ah ah. It’s already done. See my wallpaper on Google Play.
Oct 17, 2017 12:23:21 GMT 1 ricktop said:

Oct 17, 2017 10:02:50 GMT 1 Exellent said:ricktop :

do you have your launcher in an git repo or something? I’m planning to create a live wallpaper where you could set the clockwatchfaces. so that one could use a launcher like novalauncher and still would have the normal clockface with all you need on the screen. (on an then blank screen )
But i don’t know how to handle the watchfaces etc.


Ah ah. It’s already done. See my wallpaper on Google Play.

Okay I’ll serach for it Very nice
Oct 17, 2017 12:23:21 GMT 1 ricktop said:

Oct 17, 2017 10:02:50 GMT 1 Exellent said:ricktop :

[…]live wallpaper where you could set the clockwatchfaces. so that one could use a launcher like novalauncher […]


Ah ah. It's already done. See my wallpaper on Google Play.

can you please help me? i try use (my favorite) NovaLauncher on THOR4, install your ClockskinAnimatedWallpaper but while select it(or any other Live Wallpapper) show error "App isn't installed", then i try install APP Google Wallpaper, but error is still same (lso if select it direct in Wallpaper app), is any what i miss to install? i try set all admin/special permisions for Nova/Wallpaper/ClockSkin... thanks :-)

@ricktop i find that missed app is “Live Wallpaper Picker”, try install this for A7(Samsung?), error is gone… But after select live wallpaper only show black screen for 1s (in NovaLauncher/Wallpaper or in standalone (Google)Wallpapers app)

Aug 21, 2018 0:02:30 GMT 1 k3dAR said:
@ricktop i find that missed app is "Live Wallpaper Picker", try install this for A7(Samsung?), error is gone... But after select live wallpaper only show black screen for 1s (in NovaLauncher/Wallpaper or in standalone (Google)Wallpapers app)

Have you selected a skin in wallpaper prefs ?

Aug 21, 2018 6:35:35 GMT 1 ricktop said:
Have you selected a skin in wallpaper prefs ?

in Wallpaper is not possible configure, after select your clock live wallpaper, only show black screen for 1s… a set clockskin via ActivityLauncher/ClockSkinWallpaper, this run ok, selected skin is show/working, but not via WallpaperApp or NovaLauncherSelectWallpaper…
problem is same with all Live wallpapper, not only with your…
for you working this on Watch? pr you try only on Phone where picker is already instaled?

ricktop for better imagination, video in attachment… and add logcat while click to ClockSkin and black screen
look at some of permision problem? but maybe not problem with LiveWallpapper, because if i try select wallpaper via “MyPhoto”(in Wallpapper APP) or “Pick Image”(in NovaLauncher), then crash/closed

Attachments:
MP4_20180821_234826.m4v (273.16 KB)

logcat-livewallpaper.log (68.38 KB)


Aug 22, 2018 15:54:10 GMT 1 k3dAR said:ricktop for better imagination, video in attachment... and add logcat while click to ClockSkin and black screen look at some of permision problem? but maybe not problem with LiveWallpapper, because if i try select wallpaper via "MyPhoto"(in Wallpapper APP) or "Pick Image"(in NovaLauncher), then crash/closed

It seems the livepeeker app does not have the permission to launch wallpaper… Maybe this permission doesn’t even exist on this OS… That’s a usual thing on those OS…

Aug 22, 2018 18:09:35 GMT 1 ricktop said:
It seems the livepeeker app does not have the permission to launch wallpaper... Maybe this permission doesn't even exist on this OS... That's a usual thing on those OS...

i think problem is not with livepicker but with Wallpaper APP/API, because is not posible set any photo from sdcard, but selecting default wallpaper or in Wallpaper category is show/set to Nova Desktop ok... you have working user wallpaper static or live on watch? with Android7? here is man have on No1 DP+ with A5 NovaLauncher and work selecting wallpapaer also live...

Using Watch Face Designer and Eric’s launcher I have had no problems making live wallpapers, the watch can be as simple or as complicated as you like, depending on what you decide are the criteria. Backgrounds have been Gifs obtained using Virtual Dub and have sometimes been over 100Mb. This does cause some small problems at times when changing backgrounds due to the time to load hundreds of images. This can seem like the watch has crashed ( White Screen)but a bit of patience and all is resolved. Incidentally I am using an H2.
Have Fun,
Mike.