Bluetooth MAC Address

iscle,

Thanks for your comments.
All very true.

As for me/we, we remain unbiased towards any of the brands.
We’re just happy to see pretty good hardware coming from most of these guys.
We are impartial in this. Choice is open to the buyer.
As many people know - in the last 4 years we have been working on this forum, since it opened - we aim to give as much help as we can to anyone who has one of these devices…

Yes, the cost of these devices is rising as materials and technology changes but they are still extremely well priced compared to others in this market sector.

Just an FYI for those who don’t know - we don’t get paid for any of this.
It is our passion and our hobby.
Even the work I do with the solution provider is for free.
The solution provider is the same for all these brands.

I can’t do anything about MTK but we try to offer free support to everyone as best we can anyway.

Apr 8, 2019 10:16:50 GMT 2 marioerased said:
Back to the problem, THIS in my issue:

Both watches are updated, is there something I can do to solve?

Well, this is interesting.
I will have a look into this.
2 different devices showing the same MAC is quite an interesting situation.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thank you!!!

EDIT: for your information, with a specific command (ip link) via terminal emulator, i can get the real BT MAC address and it’s not the one displayed on the status menu. It’s like the WiFi MAC address, with a single different digit.

Apr 8, 2019 17:41:44 GMT 2 marioerased said:
pablo11 AvatarApr 8, 2019 13:30:52 GMT 2 pablo11 said:
Well, this is interesting. I will have a look into this. 2 different devices showing the same MAC is quite an interesting situation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you!!!

EDIT: for your information, with a specific command (ip link) via terminal emulator, i can get the real BT MAC address and it’s not the one displayed on the status menu. It’s like the WiFi MAC address, with a single different digit.

Normally devices have the WiFi and Bluetooth hardware in the same package, and it’s very normal to see that BT and WiFi have the same MAC except for the last digit. For example, this happens in my Xiaomi Mi MAX 2 which is a proper FCC -and all the other certification stuff- certified device!

It’s very strange that the real BT MAC is not shown on android and that the wrong one is being used. That looks like a problem with the build itself, but the hardware (if what you said is true) looks to be behaving as expected. 

pablo11 AvatarApr 8, 2019 13:30:52 GMT 2 pablo11 said:
Well, this is interesting. I will have a look into this. 2 different devices showing the same MAC is quite an interesting situation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you!!!

Which model is showing the wrong MAC address? Not both of them right?
I have a suspicion about what is going on.

Thank you!!!

Which model is showing the wrong MAC address? Not both of them right?
I have a suspicion about what is going on.
Both! I’ve checked the MAC address on the colleague’s watch and it’s not the same displayed on status menu.

Apr 8, 2019 22:39:57 GMT 2 iscle said:
Thank you!!!

Normally devices have the WiFi and Bluetooth hardware in the same package, and it’s very normal to see that BT and WiFi have the same MAC except for the last digit. For example, this happens in my Xiaomi Mi MAX 2 which is a proper FCC -and all the other certification stuff- certified device!

It’s very strange that the real BT MAC is not shown on android and that the wrong one is being used. That looks like a problem with the build itself, but the hardware (if what you said is true) looks to be behaving as expected. 

Yes, I know that it’s normal about the MAC address, I’ve seen this on several devices. The real problem is in fact the difference between real address and address shown.

marioerased

So just so I am clear about this because I have to update the engineers:

Both watches do not have the same BT MAC address when you check via the terminal.

They have different addresses until you try to connect to your phone and then they both display the same MAC?
In the watch settings…?

Would you be prepared to run a full flash of the firmware using the firmware upgrade option in SP Tools?

On the Hope maybe?

pablo11 AvatarApr 9, 2019 10:46:57 GMT 2 pablo11 said:marioerased

So just so I am clear about this because I have to update the engineers:

Both watches do not have the same BT MAC address when you check via the terminal.

They have different addresses until you try to connect to your phone and then they both display the same MAC?
In the watch settings…?

Yes, both watches shows the wrong MAC address (00:00:46:00:00:01) on the settings and our different phones (a Mi Mix 2s and an iPhone 6) try to connect to both watches because of that.

On both devices, checking via terminal, the real MAC address is different from the one displayed on settings and they are (correctly) similar to the WiFi MAC address.

On my device, the Hope, the WiFi MAC address is correctly shown on settings menu, on the i8 is not (you can see that on the image posted by me yesterday).

pablo11 AvatarApr 9, 2019 10:49:05 GMT 2 pablo11 said:
Would you be prepared to run a full flash of the firmware using the firmware upgrade option in SP Tools?

On the Hope maybe?

Yes, i can totally flash a new firmware on my Kospet Hope, I already have SP Tools and data cable and already used them.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2019 11:11:18 GMT 2 marioerased said:

On the Hope maybe?

Yes, i can totally flash a new firmware on my Kospet Hope, I already have SP Tools and data cable and already used them.

Thanks

Ok, I'll prepare the latest version and get it posted. Using the firmware upgrade option in SP Tools should also clear the NVRAM partition before flashing the new image. That's where the MAC information is stored. If that makes no difference - I have a way to permanently fix it but it is fairly complex and we will take it offline and deal with it privately.

On the Hope maybe?

Thanks

Here is the latest version for 3gb ram and 32gb storage model drive.google.com/file/d/1C5F8TKamU0IGPwDJ45nGX35TDPqAOf5p/view?usp=drivesdk

Make sure you have the MTK VCOM drivers installed or the flash tool will not work.
Easy to find on the Web and here on this forum.
Let me know if you have any questions.

It’s the same as the last OTA.
Nothing new but reliable :+1:

Thanks

Here is the latest version for 3gb ram and 32gb storage model drive.google.com/file/d/1C5F8TKamU0IGPwDJ45nGX35TDPqAOf5p/view?usp=drivesdk

Make sure you have the MTK VCOM drivers installed or the flash tool will not work.
Easy to find on the Web and here on this forum.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you! I'm charging the watch in order to get ready to flash I have to use the "Firmware Upgrade" option, right?

EDIT: done, but no differences:

marioerased
Yes, definitely.
And never, ever, select format all + download by mistake!!

pablo11 AvatarApr 10, 2019 10:53:41 GMT 2 pablo11 said:marioerased Yes, definitely. And never, ever, select format all + download by mistake!!

I edited my previous post to update you, no results.

If I flash with “download only” mode can change something?

Download only is pointless.
Factory reset it now just to be sure.

pablo11 AvatarApr 10, 2019 11:10:13 GMT 2 pablo11 said:
Download only is pointless. Factory reset it now just to be sure.

Done, nothing new. Now I want to try to connect to a passive bluetooth device (such as BT earphones) to check if the MAC is showing correctly, because with the WiFi it works that way: it's correctly shown only if connected to a WiFi network.

Oh yes.
You don’t see the mac address in the watch settings unless you connect to something…

Otherwise you will not see any changes.
The test is definitely going to need BT to be activated.