Ambient mode for ClockSkin format

How about add a new ambient tag to clockskin format like facer do. It will help us to use dim mode in our clockskins. Like β€œ1/0”. When 1 equals show in ambient, and 0 - hide. I can easy add this feature to my engine, but how about Universal launcher and programs like WFD? Did you think its good idea to have this feature? Also I have some ideas for complications, not just launch some apps (array type 100). Welcome to discuss :slight_smile:

3 Likes

so what I understand is that we will need changes in watchfaces to get a special ambient mode? or can any watchface can use this mode?

Yes, for example.

You need modify xml to enable this feature.

4 Likes

On UL it’s already supported for watchmaker skins, so it can be added in Clockskin. But it’s not really used I think

2 Likes

An alternative to adding new tags that may make the stock launcher crash, would be to have a clockskin_ambient.xml following the same rules as the clockskin.xml file. This would also allow designers to share an ambient mode for multiple faces.

4 Likes

We can add β€œaod” function to our launchers. For example, when screen is dimm, prevent it to turn off, reduce draw calls, switch to ambient mode. (I know about battery consume, but we can optimise it).

No, stok launcher wont be crash, it just skip unexpected tags. There are switch case method when parsing tags, and if tag exist in case - it parsing, when not it just skip. So we can add self tags in manifest. I can make one clockskin with this new feature and show how it looks and work.

2 Likes

On my side, i prefer a new tag, it’s easier to manage.
The question is : when do we use this dim mode ? after a delay or only for AOD ?

4 Likes

After delay. Using system dim timeout, when screen is try turn off, we light up screen and switch watchface to ambient mode. Then reduce draw calls for battery optimization (for example, i use 1 draw call each 16 ms, wich give me 60fps. I reduce draw call to 1 each 30 seconds). Also prevent screen to turn off using wakelock or window flag. And when user make any gesture or just simple touch, we disable ambient mode, make draw calls normal, remove wakelock or window flag. Also i think need reduce screen brightness

1 Like

although i have nothing to add for dev purposes
i know this is already in the watchmaker config but having it in clockskin would be a great idea
as in my watchface the watchmaker version does not work properly with converting the text correctly
whereas the clockskin one does.

also i think it would be good to be able to choose the brightness level of the dimmed display if possible

Thanks

I am using this feature of UL in my watch. Thanks for this feature.