X5 screen went black. would not reboot past initial screen.

X5 screen went black. would not reboot past initial screen. this is how i fixed it. (how it fixed itself).
after experimenting with the watch faces and exchanging images in the “ClockSkin” folder, things were going well and i felt i had it working and had some understanding of how to develop my own faces. i was able to load my own images onto the X5 watch. then suddenly the watch went black. i attempted to restart several times with no success. i removed all the custom work i had done in the “ClockSkin” folder and initially this didn’t immediately fix anything. all i was able to do was restart and connect the watch via the USB cable. i repeated this more than ten times before it finally “caught” and did load up the watch faces. doing so restored the X5 back to the state before i did anything with the “ClockSkin” folder. the lesson here is that loading things in the “ClockSkin” folder is not robust. watchfaceticks offers a video on how to “flash” the drive but that looks ridiculous for someone with a MAC.