Using other members work

pablo11 AvatarJan 31, 2017 3:53:54 GMT 1 pablo11 said:
I have reported this to ricktop - I don't know what's going on yet but we will find out !!

Well due to your efforts, the image is no longer available. Thank you. While I understand the reasoning about your concerns for selling software made by others, he has put efforts in making the image to help promote the launcher and other improvements. I thought this was all to help promote smart watch platform improvement. But I would recommend that he post the image for free but will accept donations for those that want to reward him for his efforts. I think Eric also accepts donations for his efforts. So that would make the software image free for us all. We are all here to help prompt inovations and donations is a way to say thanks.   Also with all the different images floating around that are causing different effects on Eric's launcher, it would be nice to finally have a common image that works for all and on all similar watches to standardize the launcher and to stop waisting time answering questions why certain functions work on some images and not others.  We all appreciate everyones effort. So lets work together and find a common ground. I cast my vote on this.

www.mforbes.ca/product/kw88-new-clean-interface/

When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation.
(https://choosealicense.com/no-license/)

Feb 2, 2017 16:18:33 GMT 1 buddyrm said:
pablo11 AvatarJan 31, 2017 3:53:54 GMT 1 pablo11 said:
I have reported this to ricktop
  • I don’t know what’s going on yet but we will find out !!

Well due to your efforts, the image is no longer available. Thank you. While I understand the reasoning about your concerns for selling software made by others, he has put efforts in making the image to help promote the launcher and other improvements. I thought this was all to help promote smart watch platform improvement. But I would recommend that he post the image for free but will accept donations for those that want to reward him for his efforts. I think Eric also accepts donations for his efforts. So that would make the software image free for us all. We are all here to help prompt inovations and donations is a way to say thanks.   Also with all the different images floating around that are causing different effects on Eric’s launcher, it would be nice to finally have a common image that works for all and on all similar watches to standardize the launcher and to stop waisting time answering questions why certain functions work on some images and not others.  We all appreciate everyones effort. So lets work together and find a common ground. I cast my vote on this.

It’s a simple deal of freedom of choice. Eric didn’t want it used that way and wasn’t even asked.
It’s his choice and I supported him, the same as I would support you if it happened to you. That’s the end of the matter.

Ok… This is what i understood… You make a PC for yourself. In few days i come into your home and take your PC. Put few stickers on it, and then sell it… Doesn’t seem fair to me but whatever we will probably all purchase Eric’s launcher when he decides he is ready to put it on the market. Would be really stupid to buy a rom that isn’t original design. But maybe thats just me

Feb 2, 2017 16:18:33 GMT 1 buddyrm said:
 Well due to your efforts, the image is no longer available. Thank you. While I understand the reasoning about your concerns for selling software made by others, he has put efforts in making the image to help promote the launcher and other improvements. I thought this was all to help promote smart watch platform improvement. But I would recommend that he post the image for free but will accept donations for those that want to reward him for his efforts. I think Eric also accepts donations for his efforts. So that would make the software image free for us all. We are all here to help prompt inovations and donations is a way to say thanks.   Also with all the different images floating around that are causing different effects on Eric's launcher, it would be nice to finally have a common image that works for all and on all similar watches to standardize the launcher and to stop waisting time answering questions why certain functions work on some images and not others.  We all appreciate everyones effort. So lets work together and find a common ground. I cast my vote on this.

It’s a simple deal of freedom of choice. Eric didn’t want it used that way and wasn’t even asked.
It’s his choice and I supported him, the same as I would suggest you if it happened to you. That’s the end of the matter.

While I agree that consultation would have been a better choice and that was an error on his part. No matter what software you will make, it’s based on an image that is not meant to be modified without the express consent of the manufacture of the watch. And of course Eric did ask for their permission right.? Because I a sure his code makes use of calls and functions from withing the OS itself which he did not make. You are walking a fine line on this subject. I work with custom software under license all the time. I understand the rules.

So my question is, do we all help to improve and add to the enhancement of the smart watch, or are we here to take any opportunity to point out rules and regulations.? The correct course of action would have been Eric contacting this person and workout some kind of compromise that would benefit all. Now it benefits no one and causes bad feels for everyone.

Communication is the key and I am sure he did it without the intent of reaping benefits for himself to get rich quick.

Feb 2, 2017 22:00:05 GMT 1 buddyrm said:
  He doesn't realise that the XDA mods would have trounced him anyway and doesn't mention Eric contacting him at all  lol I'm such a bad guy

eric should release his launcher under a licence.
any licence, but a licence.
as for now, nobody has the right to use, copy, distribute, or modify it.

I will now move all this stuff to another thread as this is a mess.

Feb 2, 2017 22:00:05 GMT 1 buddyrm said:

Yes - the point is Eric knows this and does NOT want it sold commercially - as you say all these things are modified code and should be given for free. We had this out on XDA with the guy in question and I mentioned that it should be free and that he should have asked Eric first. But he just kept on defending himself for selling "his work" not Eric's. I also pointed out that accepting donations is ok but not selling custom roms outright - still no deal.

So that was the end of it. The XDA mods removed it with a warning that nothing gets “sold” on XDA and then I removed it from here.
Eric did post to the guy and asked him not to sell this work and he still went ahead with it and so Eric wanted it gone as his work is free.

We openly encourage rom development here and the devs do work together. As you said - the key is communication and not putting it up for sale.
In fact Eric does collaborate with a custom rom for the D5 in that section.

Its also funny that he blames me for this   He doesn’t realise that the XDA mods would have trounced him anyway and doesn’t mention Eric contacting him at all  lol
I’m such a bad guy

No one says your a bad guy, anyway you gave him the chance to correct his mistake and so if he continued to push the issue, then your actions are justified. OK so I think it is all clear now. Thanks

Feb 2, 2017 23:11:16 GMT 1 buddyrm said:
  He doesn't realise that the XDA mods would have trounced him anyway and doesn't mention Eric contacting him at all  lol I'm such a bad guy

No one says your a bad guy, anyway you gave him the chance to correct his mistake and so if he continued to push the issue, then your actions are justified. OK so I think it is all clear now. Thanks

Cheers