UPDATED POST! Firmware for Optimus Pro and Hope - UPDATED 18.09.2020 New version for Optimus Pro

Sorry to bother you Gianfranco. Have you experienced any overheating issue with cellular data or WiFi? I’m a little confused: with same configuration (and same ROM) as yours I get 20 h standby. You claim 4days standby… Can you explain to me what’s the update process you followed?
Thanks

Cheers

good lord ! thats amazeballs ! 4 days !!!

4 days is amazing !
FW 3.0 stock or with thor .img ???

OK :slight_smile: just give me some sleep as my watch does ToT

I will post asap a detailed guide about what practices I applyed.

Gianluca, yes , overheating is the only issue still there :frowning: but only if I exchange data.

Thanks for the reply. Waiting for your advice. Cheers

1 Like

[center][justify][center]My personal guide to Optimus Pro 3/32 battery use and optimization[/center][/justify][/center]
[center]Kospet Optimus Pro 3/32 battery life poll [/center]
[center]How many days of battery life you earned applying this guidelines[/center]

0 voters

I should point out that my watch is not one of the “lucky watches” out there, nor is different or better then others: My watch suffers from the mtkled wake up bug, I used to have 6 hours of battery life before optimization with fw 2.5 and 2.6, and struggled a lot in order to find a sustainable way of using it as standalone device avoiding any smartphone.

I built a habit to activate data and syncing only when I need it. So I have a very long battery time in sleeping mode at home and office, and a good amount of energy whenever I need it during the day.

[center]Good practices for battery life[/center]

Prerequisite: Flash Stock 3.0 firmware

• Select all the component of 3.0 scatter file
  • Use “Upgrade firmware” in SP Flash Tool
  • Execute an additional full reset after the successful firmware upgrade
  • Be sure to using “Normal mode” in Setting -> System Optimization
  • Apply the following setting on ALL APPS unless otherwise pointed out.

1. mtkled bug

Verify if mtkled bug is affecting the watch (mine does): go to Settings -> Power saving -> click on the graph. Observe “Awake” and “Screen on” indicators: they should match, and should be mostly empty. If Awake is a full bar, then install mtknoled.apk and disable led. -> Now the bug is solved:

[center]image[/center]

2. Screen setting

• Set Wake up Screen on raising. This is a useful features, and helps avoiding the use of physical buttons: they could easily break.
    I activate it, and I navigate using the back swiping actually not using almost never the physical buttons.
    In addition, I turn on the screen, raising the watch, when I have to use Google voice Assistant.
    I keep Google Voice Assistant always active.

• Use medium brightness for improved readability in every ambient light.

[center]image[/center]

3. Fix Play Services (2019)

• I Downloaded and run Fix Play Services (2019) , it will find a page on Play Store for updating google Play Services. For some reason it doesn’t update automatically, so this app forces the updating process.
  • Remove the App when done.

[center]image[/center]

4. Remove Location Permission

• Remove location permission for all but Gmaps and Weather. Go to Settings -> More -> App Setting -> App Permission -> remove

5. Disable auto sync

• Go to Settings -> More -> Account and disable auto-sync data

6. Disable background data

• Go to Setting -> Uninstall -> select App -> Data usage.
    Tap on each App and disable Background Data. Some Apps are linked to other and don’t have the option.

7. Disable notification

• Go to Setting -> Uninstall -> select App -> Notification.
    Tap on Block All.

8. Select 3g as preferred mobile network

• 3g is less resource hungry then 4g: Go to Settings -> Connect -> Cellular Network -> Preferred Network Type. Select 3g.

9. Use a battery cheap watchface

• Select a watch-face with a black background, with thin indicators.
    I use this from the stock ones: time, full date and battery level, I don’t need more.

[center]

[/center]

10. Network management

• Keep your network turned off (WiFi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth), but cellular signal on, so you can get phone calls and SMS. NO airplane mode.
    Activate the radio signal you need whenever you need it.

Reboot the watch -> fully charge it -> remove from the base charge -> wait 4 hours —> tap the graph in Power saving. You should have Screen and Awake completely empty, and a very long stand by battery time:

[center]

[/center]

[center]Conclusions and Bonus Test[/center]

This is pretty extreme as guideline, promoting max battery life in stand by time.

Today I am performing a different test on v. 3.0 firmware in normal mode: something similar to a normal smartphone use:

• Auto-sync on
  • WiFi on
  • Mobile data on
  • Estimate 1 hour of screen time
  • Whatsup, Messenger Lite, G Photo, all auto-syncing

Until now this is the result:

[center]

[/center]

16 hours of heavy use, starting from 07:00 in the morning and ending at 23:00.

Just my typical day.

Not bad, assuming I will never use all these unnecessary settings.

[center]OVERHEATING[/center]

• The watch lasts 10 minutes while playing online video exchanging data both in 3g or WiFi mode.
    Also it becomes very hot with Bluetooth calling , but the calls in my case don’t last enough for the overheating message popping up.
    No solution using network data.

EDIT: Further testing the overheating issue, I found that it is also software related: going on youtube.com from Firefox and playing a video, leads to the overheating message after 10 minutes; playing the same video from the Youtube App, doesn’t heat up the watch so much: I tested a video for 30 minutes successfully.
In addition, DuckDuckGo seems to have even a better resources management, and doesn’t overheat the same as Firefox: this is something more similar to a SOLUTION I ever seen until now :wink:
Just play more with the software, and definitely I can tell that the overall advantage of the v. 3.0 firmware could make the difference.

A different story, luckily, is playing a video locally.

In this case the watch becomes slightly hot, and doesn’t show the usual overheating message, so, if you are keen to watch the last OPM season 2 episode on the Optimus Pro, be sure to download that on the watch first !

Have a good day and Remember to answer the poll !!!

15 Likes

Wow . That is one detailed post :+1: . Thankyou for sharing your findings :wink:

2 Likes

Top Top Top Quality Post.
Thank You!

1 Like

Thanks for the complete guide !
About overheating I think it’s an hardware issue. The case is too small for the performance, and there’s no way to push out the chipset heat.
With the v.2.6 firmware, I played YouTube without any warning message, but after 10-15 minutes the watch overheats, especially under the display and the ceramic bezel.

Thank you for the hint, I also experienced a better heat performance using youtube App respect to the same youtube video played from a browser: a software related difference should be taken into account here in addition to the hardware one :wink:

Excellent.!!
Thanks for your help.

Using this optimization, my watch now sleep very well.
Unfortunately, today I had a problem with watchdroid on my phone… the app has drain allmost my battery (4000 mAh of samsung Note9) in less than 12 hours !!!

On my watch due to watching assistant battery drained from 100 to 86% in less than 1 hour on stand by and without watch droid 100 to 86% in 18 hours,watchdroid consumes too much battery on watch too

TheCez me too. I tried Gianfranco_Campana’s recommendation,i did everything step by step,but it didn’t help … i reinstalled it yesterday the BBS,seen no sleep … 65 alarms in 10 hours!
(virgin 3.0 fw Gianfranco_Campana’s recommendation,step by step ) .
bbs02 bbs03

Due to watchdroid assistant battery drain, I’ve configure WiiWatch2. The app is more simple but works without drain my battery. There are only two problem: notification only vibrate, no sound and I can’t set notification for SMS.

Maybe you can give this command in a shell to find out what jobs are causing this:

dumpsys jobscheduler

Cheers

Just curious about how the Awake and Screen where after point n. 10.

Being the SO and software the same I’d expect the same results…

Also, I cannot exclude that BBS is causing the wakeups.

Hi,deleting BBS, then i tested it for 3 days,the result is unchanged.This is the max. standby time.(no wifi,no Bt,no sim)
IMG_20191013_160857~2

Frankyboywhat is BBS?

My backup after fixing all wakelocks…

4 Likes