So, I was asked to create watch faces for a fee,

another one of the submariner

Bulova, making a Day-Date Rolex look alike…?
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg406/Hardyreels/Not%20my%20pictures/Sevilloldband_zps442a5195.jpg

Sorry for posting so many pictures of actual watches, but this for the sake of the discussion

@Manny_M I’ve always wanted a Reginald… :wink:

@Manny_M Does the same apply to music?.. A Led Zeppelin riff is used in a Justin Bieber song… just because I don’t listen to Led Zeppelin doesn’t make it okay… :wink:

@Lokifish_Marz understood, that is why I started this thread, because I was asked to be compensated for watch faces I “created” (putting in quotation marks because I didn’t create from scratch, just altered and shared for public use without any benefits). But… if we were to create from scratch and it did take days, maybe being compensated for all the hard work is something to consider. Now, it we could re-create a Tag, or Rolex or Breitling etc, without the actual logo (because that is a trademark) and people would be interested in paying for that work, that is something to be seen. Maybe it isn’t worth the time and effort.

@Manny_M Hmmm… I think that just because something took a long time to copy it doesn’t justify the right to charge for it… whereas, charging for original work that took a long time to make would be okay… :slight_smile:

@Andrew_Davis I don’t know the legalities on this matter, that is why I’m trying to get some input to see if its worth it or not. I posted those pictures because its clearly being done by huge watch makers. That is why I was questioning, “is it legal to do”. Based on @Lokifish_Marz statement, if you create it from scratch, you can own it with your own logo/trademark. Don’t know if that is true. From what I know, if your date is a few cm’s off in comparison say to a Rolex’s date position, then that is a different watch…

I’ve posted some Zooper watchfaces. They were never my creation, but Android wear designs were the elements were adapted for Zooper. I think I’m allowed to do so if I credit the original designer.
Don’t know if I’m legally allowed to change display information I.g. adding WiFi/battery icons to the backplate or changing stepcounter info into free memory info.
Last thing I want to happen is getting banned!