International firmware - update from SD Card (No FlashTools) - for KOSPET Prime 2 updated 2021.06.26

In this case V1.0 and V1.1 is mostly identical, but that’s because the original V1.0 had some problems with the certificate.
So it was decided to create a symbolic V1.0 based on V1.1 to have a consistent upgrade process.

To summarize:

• V1.0 is needed if you migrate from the original firmware.
  • V1.1 can be used if you upgrade from an older FAW version (V01 for example).
1 Like

Such a massive improvement from the original OS. Whatever voodoo you do to create projects like this… thank you so much! Great work. I do have 1 questions/1 suggestion.

1. Is it possible to let the user choose which quick toggles are available? If no. Could you add hotspot to the list of availble quick toggles
  2. I personally can’t find a good setup for google keyboard. love swiping text, but the AOSP fits the space better. re the AOSP keyboard. the microphone icon to activate talk to text is wedged into the corner and there doesn’t seem to be a way to move it over. Is that correct?
    Which launcher & keyboards are you guys using with the FAW v1.1?

Many many thanks on the firmware!

Thanks for your feedback :+1:
As for the questions:

1. we don’t think so because this is not a “custom rom” and the company who we work with has set these quick settings at the request of the brand. In this case it is Kospet.

2. the keyboard is really a user choice and to be honest I use voice control and SwiftKey.
    The Full Screen / Square mode toggle usually allows for most functions to be accessible.

1 Like

Whoops, didn’t realise it would post in this thread too.

Just spent all afternoon upgrading and getting everything set up again. So far so good.

A few questions:
-has anyone found an app workaround for the camera flipping issue?
-is there any “backdoor” way into the display size settings? Now when I use Google assistant to open accessibility settings it has disappeared. I was finding setting the display size to large quite useful.
-I was using Button Mapper to map the long press of the back button to the screenshot action. Now when I take a screenshot it invokes Google Assistant at the same time. Any way to disable this?
-does anyone have any suggestions for easy volume level control?

Loving having my Google apps back in full screen, and Translate works now. Oddly though, the file manager is also forced into square mode.

Will report back on battery life after a few days of use.

For volume control I use smart touch pro (it’s button mapper)In this app u can include volume up and volume down.

Hi all - Beta testers needed
Install is same as the others.
If coming from stock branded FW, please use v1.0 before you try this or any other FAW updates.
Feedback about the launcher and power consumption is much appreciated.
Beta thread is here

Cheers

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: International Firmware [Beta] (LEM12Pro, LEM14, LEM15, Prime2)

Thanks Armen. I ended up using Button Mapper to map double press of the back button to volume up, which then displays the main volume slider on the side temporarily. Good for when you are using earbuds for navigation and the system automatically reduces the volume to about 50% when you connect them.

Battery life does indeed seem to have improved significantly. I did run out once before the end of the day when I used it for several Google maps navigation trips with screen on 3/4 brightness and speaker volume at max - but then I think that would happen on any Android phone too. Otherwise, I’m usually getting to the end of a day with still around 50% left.

Wondering if anyone has any updates on the following?

1. 3rd party app solution to flip the camera within any app
  2. a way of opening display size settings. Currently, I am using “Big Font” app as even the largest font size setting isn’t quite big enough. In the previous stock version I was able to access font size AND display size, and setting both to large would do what I now have to do with Big Font. Before I pay for the Big Font app, would be good to find a “native” solution.
  3. How do disable long-press of the back button invoking Google Assistant?

On a related note, I am having two problems with the “Hey Google” feature:

1. It doesn’t work when the screen is off, even though I changed the settings so that is should
  2. When Google says “here’s what I found” (as in, displaying search results rather than speaking the answer to your question), the search results won’t open.

It seems these are both problems relating to things being blocked or not running. Any ideas what settings tweaks I can try to fix them?

Thanks!
Benson

@Benson_Wallace Are you using FAW firmware or stock Prime 2 firmware ?
Maybe try the beta firmware ?

@pablo11 I’m using FAW Prime 2 V1.0 as posted at the top of this thread. Upgraded from stock firmware and did factory reset. I’d rather not try V1.2-B2 if it requires another factory reset…

I see, thanks.
The problem with not trying something and not making a factory reset is that if the things you want are fixed… How will you know?

1 Like

Hi Pablo,

I was gifted with an early release Prime 2 (probably going to end up with the battery failing as I believe it was part of the first ones sent out) that I’m trying to install this firmware update on. In a nut shell, I did a factory reset then opened up FAW on the watch and downloaded the first link you provided at the top (though it’s a bit different than what Mr Ticks shows in his video). It wasn’t initially accepting the the download so I installed Google Drive which then prompted me to choose a zip/unzip app (which I did) and it’s been going through that process now for a really long time. Is this correct? It’s going on atleast half an hour and is only at 26%. I know Mr Ticks said it would take a while but I wasn’t thinking an hour or more since other downloads I’ve done have happened rather quickly.

Please advise.

Anthony

Update: at over an hour later, this is what I got.

Gonna give it a retry. Then I don’t know.

No, the firmware zip for local install should NOT be unzipped. You should point the update function to the zip file itself.

The instructions for updating are found in the top post and they do not include unzipping, as doesn’t Mr Ticks instructions.

“You just copy the attached zip file to the watch storage and turn off network.
Then go to Settings, About Watch and choose wireless update.”…continues, see top post

2 Likes

Thank you for that.

I guess I don’t understand how to copy the link above.

Please read the top post thoroughly.
You must not unzip the update zip file.
It is ready to use.
Just follow what I wrote in the first post :+1::handshake:

I did multiple times but I’m still not understanding how to copy the file to storage. When I’ve tried it, it gives me a notification that there isn’t enough space. This is the only way I know how to copy the link

Got a smartwatch for dummies book you can loan me? :grinning:

You should click “Save Link”.
But if your watch storage is so full that you can’t receive about 1GB, then you need to delete some files first. A good place to start is to look if the previous downloaded and possibly also unzipped FW zip files are still there, and then delete those.

So you need to have min 1GB free before starting the download, but more may be required for the installation, if the update function performs unzipping during the update. Better secure that there is 3GB free before starting the download.

@pablo11 I skimmed the top post, I don’t think it states a recommended free space for an update. Perhaps that should be added ?

If you have not enough space for the 1gb file you have to make space.
I would not download it to my watch anyway… But that’s me.
I always transfer stuff to the watch using the usb cable.

The other thing is it looks like it is being extracted… Why is this?

Thanks for your assistance @Dotsfar and @pablo11.

I’ll getting ready to start my work day so I’ll check it later but the last I saw, there was nothing saved or added to the watch and a majority of the 64g was still available according to the storage into.

The watch (from what I was told and as far as I can tell based on inspection) was never put to use. Other than an occasional maintenance battery charge, to keep it cycling, it was never taken out of the box. Much like the 2nd one I purchased as a backup, this one served the same role too. It’s just that the original owner decided to go a different direction after the first one failed. Apparently he and Kospet couldn’t come to an agreement on how to repair/replace the watch (must have been in the infancy of the battery problem because my experience with them doesn’t resemble the struggle he experienced). So it sat in the box until he offered to send it to me. It took a month to arrive and I received it Saturday. For all intents and purposes, I’ve done nothing to it since it arrived.

I did a factory reset immediately just to start fresh as it was already set up (which I thought was odd) the way I’d do it. I opened up the FAW website and went through the process I mentioned above. When I was told I shouldn’t be downloading it, I deleted the Google Drive App (only thing I added) and did another factory reset.

To get to the successive screenshots I’ve shown, I accessed the FAW website through the original browser portal on the watch. Not Google or Google Chrome (Is this where I error’d?) as I didn’t think it mattered since I was doing it OTA and not using a cable to transfer it. Once I opened the website, I scrolled up to the first post and then to the link you provided. Once there I long pressed the link and you see the options which are given. I selected copy, because it falls in line with the first instruction to copy the file to the watch storage and that’s how I know to copy (and paste) things. Then I went to the files tried to paste it several times. Always getting the “insufficient space” notification.

Anthony

Sorry if you told this before, but which link is it you click to get the FW ?
Could you screenshot that link please.
And which version do you currently have ?