GPS when on your wrist

I tried resetting my X3+ but it didn’t help. Strava still can’t get a gps lock, and neither can endomondo. This makes the watch useless for sports tracking.

Oct 9, 2016 17:49:54 GMT 1 cvsa said:
Oct 9, 2016 17:05:12 GMT 1 RASC Moderators said:
Are you guys having these issues while inside or outside?

outside. I did new tests tonight outside my house with a clear sky above me . I used a very good app called "GPS DATA" downloaded on the playstore . I can be used very easily with our watch and see the satellites live on a map.

results :

• watch worn on wrist   → no fix , only 3 orange satellites the 8 others remain red on the map
  • watch not worn on wrist , hold y the bracelet upper side aim the sky → quick fix for 3 satellittes that turn green in 10s
  • watch not worn on wrist , hold upside down , metal bottom aiming the sky → extremely quick fix 7 satellites turn green in 5 s

my conclusion : the satellite receiver is under the watch … too

bad

photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO54VLmAJneuOyxjymac1RVeSXso7tu1yA83bvGbTItObGQpa2SGeyPODrClu0aPg/photo/AF1QipM1wRP9A7-d90Hk6beymjlqprEo7MkNiQiXhvj1?key=d28tSmpMVjVDN2VXQm5hZmRVdWpuU1RITHdOa1h3
Oct 16, 2016 17:22:20 GMT 1 krevlornswath said:
I tried resetting my X3+ but it didn't help. Strava still can't get a gps lock, and neither can endomondo. This makes the watch useless for sports tracking.

i'm working with JogTracker and GPS works fine.

i’m going to check also MeeRun and Momentum which suitable for our watches easy access. 

Maybe someone can point me to an architecture model for the Android GPS API, because certain observed behaviors don’t make sense to me, but here’s my experience…

I never start trying to get GPS lock with a tracking app. Instead, I open GPS Test because the bar-graph display makes it very clear when satellites have been found and signal-lock acquired. I start GPS Test, put my InWatch Z on the car roof while I get my pack on, usually get a signal lock within 30-45 seconds.

Then I open my tracking app (My Tracks or AlpineQuest) and usually get a signal lock within 10 seconds. Put the watch back on my wrist and go hiking, maintaining GPS lock throughout.

Now for some background: I baselined GPS behavior “standalone” mode, i.e. without a SIM installed, confirming that I could get good tracking throughout my local hikes. Then I installed a SIM and was surprised to see that when I lost cell signal the GPS would get flaky. Since I knew the GPS was solid in standalone mode, this implied that when cell service was available the GPS software RELIED on it. This does not inspire confidence in Android software architecture.

So I hike with my watch in airplane mode for the above reason, and because I expect to loose cell signal in the canyons, and know nothing drains a battery faster than “hunting” for a cell signal.

My video:

uloz.to/live/!euMxsP3mDZr2/no-1-d5-gps-does-not-work-on-your-hands-mp4

Wrist position fix almost impossible. No 1. D5 +

wrong antenna design, inapplicable in practice on his hand, only remove the watch from his hand is a GPS function OK, a great pity.

Oct 12, 2016 19:02:58 GMT 1 krevlornswath said:

as long as i get gps with my tracking activity app and weather and maps i do'nt see any reason to reset, i have'nt had any gps problems with my x3+ since i got it.

Oct 17, 2016 15:36:21 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

i’m working with JogTracker and GPS works fine.

i’m going to check also MeeRun and Momentum which suitable for our watches easy access. [/quote]

JogTracker seems to work well, thankyou.
GPS is stronger off the wrist, but is strong enough when worn not to drop out on me (so far) 
Finow x3 +