Genesis Firmware and discussion - updated FW added to the folder

This is not possible with these watches. You can try to find the right pattern, but flashing the watch will help for sure. You should read the post that @noidremained linked for you.

You are the guy that Jason emailed and I replied to?
As I said in the email you have to flash the firmware. It cannot be unlocked once you have forgotten the pass pattern.

Flashing is simple as I said in the email.
Just pop over to the Genesis firmware thread and download what you need.
Watch a couple of videos on YouTube about "flashing firmware using SP flash tool " to gain confidence if needed.

3 Likes

Yes I am. I will try that. Thanks

Can not find this file:
-Dismiss the warning and use the scatter file browse button to browse to the firmware IMAGE folder which is in your extracted firmware folder. Select the scatter file.

So you have installed the drivers?
Extracted the firmware onto the pc.

Once you open the flash tool you click on the scatter file browse button in the flash tool.
Then navigate to the directory where you extracted the firmware.
Open the folder called image.
Select the scatter file and the firmware will load in the flash tool.

Make sure you follow my steps in the post.
Watch off etc etc

Ok, so the app gives the watch a phone number of its own without the need of a sim card, so when you use it to call someone, you will call from that number and not from the number of your phone.

Jason doesn’t mention bluetooth, so I don’t know why you got the impression that it uses a bluetooth connection. All it needs is a connection to the internet, so it can be connected through your home wifi, wifi hotspot from the phone (this is what Jason mentioned) or possibly you might be able to share the phones internet connection through bluetooth. I think some users here have succeeded in sharing the internet connection through bluetooth, but it seems to be difficult to get it working.

Also, look at the following post where @roswell108 mentions a similar app:

@noidremained That looks just like my post up above :grin:

6h

Do you live in USA or Canada ?
Basically this is nothing to do with Bluetooth.
If you are in that country you can use it and I believe it is free but I can’t comment further because I do not live there and so it does not appear in the Play Store for me.
Here is their site https://www.textnow.com/how-it-works
It’s free with ads or you can pay to get rid of the ads.

Quote from their site
# Is TextNow Available In My Country?

We’re very excited to say that TextNow is available for download in many countries outside of the US and Canada. As long as you have a data connection (like WiFi) you can get a free number and call North American numbers for free. If you want to call a local number outside of the US/Canada you will need to buy International Long Distance credits.

1 Like

somehow I didn’t notice that you had answered him :laughing:

Ha ha ha… No worries…
You are always on the ball mate :+1::+1:

1 Like

Visited the web site and it does require the purchase of a Sim Card Activation kit if your device does not have a sim card, $9.99. It looks like once you have the Sim card installed you can make calls/texts using a Wi-fi connection via the app. No wi-fi no problem drop down and you find their goal sell you phone service from $9.99 to $39.99 a month. I pay $5 a month for Speed Talk sim cards, while not unlimited they are sufficient unless the watch is your only device then their option may be better. Forgot the free service is paid for by AD’s. Love all those ads.

Thanks @Jonathan_Bickel
I thought it seemed like a honey trap…

If you have T-Mobile as a service provider they have an app called Digits that allows you to link your existing phone number and make and receive calls and texts via WiFi or data on a second device. The only downside I have seen with this is that since Digits is a separate app, the responses that I send are only viewable in the digits app. So when I pull out my phone and go into my messages to look at my conversation history, I only see the messages from the other person, not my responses. So I have been having this connected to WatchDroid while i am in tethering distance to my phone and i switch over to Digits if i leave the house without it.

1 Like

Yep, telstra give two sims with same number…
There’s all sorts of solutions and they have all been mentioned at one time or another.
It comes down to what is available in your own country and a little bit of research on the Web.

1 Like

I have a VPN and i;ve put it on Canada and gives me a phone number from Canada. I dont know its illegal?

And you have no idea how can i receive calls from watch? Maybe if i buy another card for watch also, bt then i will habe a number for phone and for watch also and i want to have the same number to answer from watch.

I have never advocated any method for receiving calls apart from using a Sim card.
So unfortunately we don’t support any of these workarounds that get suggested.
But I will say this - if you are not in the US or Canada then that particular service will not work regardless of VPN.

1 Like

TextNow does not REQUIRE you to purchase a SIM card. They offer that as an option if you want to use the service without an existing WiFi or data connection.

TextNow SIM plans are provided by Sprint and may only be available in the US.

Google Voice is similar, but not the same. Google Voice links a virtual number to a Google account that can be used with WiFi or data. It has an option to use your carrier for texting if you link your number, but only supports one device per number.

Google Voice is only available in the US and Canada.

DIGITS allows you to use an existing number to perform similar actions to one of the virtual number services, but you are still limited to syncing only what is done within the app. Given how new it is, the app is still a bit unorganized and a lot of the features aren’t quite there yet.

DIGITS is only available to T-Mobile customers.

There are also a few apps and services out there that can sync texting between devices by “exploiting” the messaging database to have the carrier device send messages written on another one, but then you lose most of the calling functionality.

2 Likes

That is correct. I was simply pointing out that they issue you a phone # and you have to have a sim card in your device to use the service. If you don’t have one they offer the Sim activation card for $9.99. You will have to obtain a Sim Card from a carrier if you don’t already have one.

Thanks for the information clarification but I also think it’s important for people to know that these solutions only work in certain places and it’s generally the USA.
It’s good to know because as you can see we have people trying to use these things from another country and they will not work.

But then that’s why I posted a quote from their website.

About Google voice - again it’s not available for most people.
It’s not in the play store unless you are in the right country and Google actually stops it from working, from what I have read.

Cheers

The SIM is available if you want to use the service without WiFi and do not already have a wireless carrier (data). That means that you do not “have to have a sim card in your phone to use the service.” You will still be able to use the service without one, but there will be limitations, such as being connected to WiFi.

If you live in an area that does not have data, it is strongly recommended to stick with the free app instead of wireless, as the free app will work over an existing wifi connection.
https://supportfree.textnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038737612-Does-TextNow-Have-Coverage-In-My-Area-

1 Like