Domino DM368

Here is some feedback after using the Domino DM368 watch for some time…

I use Project Fi and ordered a data only sim. (I have 4 data only sim cards now). I use hangouts with a google voice number.

Today was the first day trying out the “3G sim card”. It didn’t really work.

First of all, it only ever says 2G signal. I have seen it switch briefly to 3G signal, but only very briefly. I have had the watch with me at home and at work and in between (35 mile distance) where signal is very good.  Trying to actually use it on the 2G signal it has, doesn’t work. Most of the time it just times out trying to call. Sometimes texting will start working and the texts will go through and it will continue working, sometimes it says “sending” for almost 15 minutes trying to send. I have actually connected a call through hangouts twice, but it was a severely broken signal and choppy audio.

To give some perspective, the other data only sim cards go in a Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5x. Each of those get a 4G signal no problem same location.

TLDR version:

This 3G watch only does 2G and not well…

I don’t really recommend this watch unless I can figure something else out.

I have a feeling, “support” from GearBest will send me an email telling me to video the problem and there won’t be any help.

If I can’t use standalone, may as well get a cheaper watch which tethers. I don’t want a watch if I have my phone so no go for me there.

So far, this was a waste of money to me…

Does anybody use a different watch like the kw88 with actual 3G and it works with a good signal?

If you are in the U.S. please read here:
/thread/402/psa-another-friendly-reminder

Jan 4, 2017 1:57:13 GMT 1 happycamper said:
Here is some feedback after using the Domino DM368 watch for some time...

I use Project Fi and ordered a data only sim. (I have 4 data only sim cards now). I use hangouts with a google voice number.

First of all, it only ever says 2G signal. I have seen it switch briefly to 3G signal, but only very briefly. I have had the watch with me at home and at work and in between (35 mile distance) where signal is very good.  Trying to actually use it on the 2G signal it has, doesn’t work. Most of the time it just times out trying to call. Sometimes texting will start working and the texts will go through and it will continue working, sometimes it says “sending” for almost 15 minutes trying to send. I have actually connected a call through hangouts twice, but it was a severely broken signal and choppy audio.

To give some perspective, the other data only sim cards go in a Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5x. Each of those get a 4G signal no problem same location.

TLDR version:

I have a feeling, “support” from GearBest will send me an email telling me to video the problem and there won’t be any help.

If I can’t use standalone, may as well get a cheaper watch which tethers. I don’t want a watch if I have my phone so no go for me there.

Does anybody use a different watch like the kw88 with actual 3G and it works with a good signal?

this part was never a problem for me i always got 3g, have you made sure that access points are ok? did you make sure that data connection is marked? today there are better watches which support most bands in 3g that is why as many as there are good looking watches i always prefer better hardware over the looks of the watch. your watch would have been  great if the hardware was upgraded over other older watches.

Jan 4, 2017 11:12:34 GMT 1 Ciro Danise said:
If you are in the U.S. please read here: /thread/402/psa-another-friendly-reminder

Is this saying that all these watches only get 2G in the U.S.?  Sorry, I'm a little confused on it.

Can anybody help me out?  Since I use project fi and its a data only sim card, it is using TMobile here in the U.S. 

Does this mean mine will only be able to connect to 2G?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2017 11:16:46 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Jan 4, 2017 1:57:13 GMT 1 happycamper said:
Here is some feedback after using the Domino DM368 watch for some time…

TLDR version:

this part was never a problem for me i always got 3g, have you made sure that access points are ok? did you make sure that data connection is marked? today there are better watches which support most bands in 3g that is why as many as there are good looking watches i always prefer better hardware over the looks of the watch. your watch would have been  great if the hardware was upgraded over other older watches.

Yes the access points are correct.  I also use multiple phones with the data only sims and have to set them the same way.  Also data connection is marked.
The interesting thing is that the APN installed on the watch is for a tmobile connection.  It is NOT the one I’m supposed to use for project fi, which is using tmobile.  However, the one on the watch will connect to 2G, as well as the one provided by project fi, which was very interesting…

I would love to be able to figure this out.  Which watches work with 3G/4G in the U.S. using tmobile?  Thanks!

Jan 4, 2017 16:03:31 GMT 1 happycamper said:
I would love to be able to figure this out.  Which watches work with 3G/4G in the U.S. using tmobile?  Thanks!

you should look into watches which support more band i know some of the new ones which have come out recently support more bands to work in the US.

this one for example you can decide which bands will be on it (as i understood from the company that sells them):

www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-newest-arrival-original-Android-5-1-operation-system-3g-smartwatch-phonewatch-support-wifi-gps-sim/32759919523.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.295.ObUxR7