Custom Kernel for MT6739 Smartwatches

Summary:

• This is a reversed or re-created kernel source for the MT6739 Smartwatches, this is mostly intended to have a reference source that might be able to support future development.

Edit:
No longer maintained.

10 Likes

Maybe itā€™s a silly question, but I have to askā€¦ What is the potential of a custom rom? Forbidden functionalities like bluetooth calling? :thinking:

1 Like

Prime SE also ? @none

@Giorgos_Tsarouchas
Primarily a more recent Android version with all included fixes and security updates.

@SERZAO
It looks identical to the Prime except for ram/storage, you might try it.
But be sure to create a backup / get a copy of the prime se firmware.

3 Likes

OK sir, this looks promising :grin:

Great work! Will this work without overwriting the user area? If so I will start trying this immediately.

• Download SP_Flash_Tool, extract it and launch flash_tool.exe
  • Click on ā€˜chooseā€™ located next to ā€˜Scatter-loading Fileā€™ and select ā€˜MT6739_Android_scatter.txtā€™ from the extracted kernel archive:

• Click on ā€˜Downloadā€™
  • Turn your Smartwatch off.
  • Connect your Smartwatch with the USB data cable.

It should start the flashing process now, donā€™t interfere with the device until the process is done.

1 Like

@none Thanks for your work and thanks for posting this in the right place :handshake::handshake::+1:

1 Like

So far so good, no problems or differences that Iā€™ve noticed. Is there something in particular we should try to stress test?

1 Like

Iā€™m actually wondering what benefits you will be getting from this kernel?
@none is there something in particular that people will notice if they flash this kernel?

Iā€™m curious because we have had them before and tweaked governors and other things but no benefit was ever realisedā€¦

Great stuff by the way and Iā€™m very grateful, but what do you think?
Better battery life or something else?

2 Likes

@Bozley
Thanks, most important is that everything is working correctly (accelerometer, cameras, heart rate, sim, gps, charging/discharging, battery life).

@pablo11
As mentioned in the first post:

• Due to the nature of reversing there could be missing features or other problems that can only be tracked down by testing.

This is mostly intended as ā€˜referenceā€™ source that can refered to when migrating to a higher kernel version.

2 Likes

Ah ok,
I certainly didnā€™t want to give the wrong impression because I am very grateful that you have taken an interest.
Not only in working on these sources with the Openwatch team - but also posting your work here as well.
We have worked with the Openwatch guys for quite a while now.
Iscle is a moderator here as well, for example.
When he has the time :grin:
Anyway, welcome aboard :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks, i was looking for a small android / embedded device to tinker with and those full android smartwatches were ideal.

Yes, Iscle and Deadman did a lot of awesome work for the OpenWatchProject, make it possible in the first place and can be credited as well.

1 Like

While listening to and navigating the YouTube Music app my Prime crashed. I had to hold the power button for about 30 seconds to boot. I got it to happen 2 more times so itā€™s a repeatable bug. After reverting to the original kernel this problem hasnā€™t happened again.

1 Like

Can you provide me a log when this happens?
Here is small archive that includes adb.exe and a script ā€˜Logfile.cmdā€™ that will pull the last kernel log from the device (usb-debugging needs to be enabled).

Here you go

1 Like

Thanks for the log, i made a new build that hopefully fix the music crash issue: PRIME #2
I also made some slight changes to the heart rate sensor, please check if itā€™s working correctly, thanks.

1 Like

The HRM is not working - the testing app says ā€œtest failedā€. Iā€™m pretty sure it was working with your first kernel. I also had a crash. Same situation but it took longer to crash than before. Hereā€™s the log.

1 Like

Thanks again for the logfile, it is unfortunately still the same problem.
Seems to be caused by the ā€˜fpsgoā€™ driver and a missing proprietary kernel module (which isnā€™t included).
Itā€™s intended to boost gaming performance, but i donā€™t think this has a lot of use for our smartwatches, so i turned it off.

Anyway, here is a new build that should fix this issue: PRIME_#3

1 Like

The crashing bug does seem to be fixed, and HR is working again. I tested every feature* (though not always extensively) and everything seems to be working correctly.

*Except phone features; I donā€™t have a SIM card in my Prime.

3 Likes