Can you spot the difference between the left and the right hands?

Can you spot the difference between the left and the right hands? :slight_smile:

The lightning on the right hand stays focused on the light.

@Bert_van_de_Bovenkamp Yes. The left one is how we do hands now. The right one is how I hope we will be able to do hands :). What do you think: is it worth the effort to do this?

That’s great.

@Marco_Ferreira Yes yes please would be great!

Quit teasing… When do we get it?

@Mark_Segraves I don’t have access to that post. But I believe you are talking about the trick of using 2 (or 4) different images for the shine/shadow, using the same rotation as the hand and changing their opacity depending on the rotation value. It’s a nice trick, but ClockSkin does not support it. Also, to replicate this video you would need 60 different shine/shadow images, and, of course, layers. In this video, what is rotating is actually an animation composed of those 60 images (that were created automatically by WFD), but in just one layer.

@Marco_Ferreira does it work with standart launcher or only with Eric’s launcher? Greets

@Jurgen_Oberst it doesn’t work yet ;). But it will (possibly) only work on Universal launcher because the standard engine does not support animations… But it won’t require scripting :slight_smile:

@Marco_Ferreira yep that’s what I thought that’s a pity cause not everyone uses Eric’s launcher. Thanks for clearing that up. Greets

@Jurgen_Oberst They should :wink:

@Bert_van_de_Bovenkamp maybe I ll try Eric’s launcher one day :wink:

@Marco_Ferreira2 No, It only uses one image for the hand. In watchmaker when you make the width or height of an image negative it’ll flip the image in that direction. That technique is flipping the images width when the hand is at 135 and 315 degrees so it works best when the hand’s shadow is down and to the right of the hand the same amount like the light source is coming from the top left.

@Jurgen_Oberst you should :wink:

@Marco_Ferreira Oh, sorry that is a private community. It is my post. Here’s the post:

I thought I would share some techniques I use to give my watches a more polished look.

One thing that really irks me off is when the reflections on hands are wrong and don’t match the direction of the shadows. Especially when one is up and the other is down. Here’s some code I use to flip the hands so the reflections look right all of the time. Put this code in the Width field of the hand:

({drm} + 45) % 360 > 180 and Width or -Width

Change the tag for the hand. The Width is the width of the hand’s image and of course multiple it by the scaling factor for zoom. And change the minus sign for what side the reflection is on the hand.

What’s going on here is in Watchmaker if you make the image’s width or height negative it’ll flip the image in that direction. The formula will flip the hand at 135 and 315 degrees so this works best when the hand’s shadow is down and to the right of the hand the same amount.

I got this code from one of +Mike McKee’s watches.

Well that’s it for now. It’s back to watch making.

@Mark_Segraves Thanks for the explanation. Another nice and simple trick :). Correct me if I’m wrong, but that technique does not seem to allow for a nice gradation of the highlights. For example, it would look wrong when the hand is near the flipping points, because the highlight is too intense, right?

@Marco_Ferreira First i have to get the newest wfd from the Forum but no idea what my password hehe I am still working with 10.1 but it’s perfectly working fine. Greets

@Marco_Ferreira That’s correct. It only changes the image twice. But that looks a lot better then having one hand up and the other down.

@Marco_Ferreira wanted to try out the newest wfd and loaded my latest face and this pops out. Greets missing/deleted image from Google+

@Marco_Ferreira It would be really nice, revolutionary as all you make